Author Topic: Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
So, review is up, the game is out and on PSN.  Anyone have a chance to snag it?
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
Re: Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I haven't even played the original...

Was the first good? And will it spoil FF stories for me (much)?
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »

Well, at this point, there's little reason to get the first - once you complete the second game, you actually get the content from the first game as well.

The stories are unrelated, but the game pretty much features 1 or 2 of the main characters from a FF title and the big baddy.  No real spoilers that I can recall.

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »

Well, at this point, there's little reason to get the first - once you complete the second game, you actually get the content from the first game as well.

The stories are unrelated, but the game pretty much features 1 or 2 of the main characters from a FF title and the big baddy.  No real spoilers that I can recall.

I'll have to put this into my "maybe I should try this some time" backlog for when I steal my friend's PSP (come release date of PS2 that is).
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »

It spoils them a little. 4's is spoiled the worst from what i remember, but really the story isn't worth your time you can just skip the cutscenes if you want to.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
enlighten me...is this an rpg a fighting game or a little of both?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
from Square Enix N.A.

DLC Schedule

3/22   Aerith (Assist Character)
Free with purchase of DISSIDIA duodecim prologus FINAL FANTASY®

3/22   Lightning: Aya Brea (Costume)
Voucher: Pack-in with The 3rd Birthday®

3/22   Cloud: KINGDOM HEARTS Gear (Costume)
Voucher: Preorder with GameStop

3/22   Tifa: Enforcer (Costume)
Voucher: Preorder with Amazon

3/29   Warrior of Light: Nameless Warrior (Costume)
Free at the PlayStation®Store

There are also alt. costumes for the characters of Final Fantasy IV and IX, if I remember correctly.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
enlighten me...is this an rpg a fighting game or a little of both?

It's a fighting game at its core, but every system is driven by RPG statistics, customization, etc.  Even when some people talk about the quest modes in like Soul Calibur IV as being RPG-like, it's not even close to what Dissidia does.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
ah thanks for that info!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
My sister got it and I got to play it as well.The RPG mode and Action Mode are separate so you can play either way you want.

I use Lightning mostly so its really fun using her fast attacks and sword sweeps.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
Just got it, along with some free Tifa costume DLC.  Starting now.  I mained Firion with a side of Kuja/Sephiroth/Emperor last game, so I'm going to do my absolute best to not touch them in this one.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »
I have to say, I really didn't like the first game.  It's like they took a fighting game concept but removed the element of skill that makes fighting games compelling and replaced it with grinding.  But unlike an RPG there was no story to move things forward.  OK, there was a 'story' of sorts, but it was completely terrible and almost totally unrelated to the actual fighting.  On top of that the game couldn't even do grinding right.  You got huge XP bonuses for doing things like finishing matches quickly or without taking any damage, which meant that it was actually faster to grind against easy enemies than challenging ones.  And if you're a collector then there were various items and things scattered in every stage that are really only accessible if you're completely over-leveled for that stage.  So in the end you were encouraged to do the same fights over and over again even when you were massively over-leveled and the enemies you were fighting didn't present even the slightest threat.

It is certainly possible to waste a lot of time in these games if you're the obsessive collecting type.  But when you look back that's exactly what it feels like: a waste.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »
I have to say, I really didn't like the first game.  It's like they took a fighting game concept but removed the element of skill that makes fighting games compelling and replaced it with grinding.  But unlike an RPG there was no story to move things forward.  OK, there was a 'story' of sorts, but it was completely terrible and almost totally unrelated to the actual fighting.  On top of that the game couldn't even do grinding right.  You got huge XP bonuses for doing things like finishing matches quickly or without taking any damage, which meant that it was actually faster to grind against easy enemies than challenging ones.  And if you're a collector then there were various items and things scattered in every stage that are really only accessible if you're completely over-leveled for that stage.  So in the end you were encouraged to do the same fights over and over again even when you were massively over-leveled and the enemies you were fighting didn't present even the slightest threat.

It is certainly possible to waste a lot of time in these games if you're the obsessive collecting type.  But when you look back that's exactly what it feels like: a waste.
Well if you don't like grinding there's always the arcade mode. Though it wont give you much of anything for playing it.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:04:27 AM »
Posting my impressions, as someone who spent 100+ hours on the first. Obviously this is meant for people who enjoyed the first game.

First and foremost, while the story is quite pretentious it's also much improved.  You can see the Chaos stories now and they're quite interesting.  Kefka, however, completely steals the show.  The voice actor, the voice director, and the localization team did an amazingly brilliant job with him.  He's perfect. Far and away the best character and much, much improved from the original.  This coming from someone who finds him to be a rather overrated villain in general.  

Second, as I noticed mentioned in the review, there's a time in Laguna's story where you come out of the "dungeon" and hear an Eyes on Me Piano arrangement.  I know a lot of you don't like FFVIII, but this is really a moment that took my breath away.  The song is simple, fitting, memorable, and nostalgic at the same time.  Laguna is the true tragic character in VIII, despite acting like a fool.

Anyway, on to gameplay.
I'm horrible at playing Lightning.  She has some interesting moves, like a tracking Water Ball like the Emperor's orbs that are excellent for distraction.  She seems to play like a modified Squall mixed with Cecil.  That is, she's focused on quick, short range attacks mixed with magic, but she can switch "styles" like Cecil can. I can see her being a beast in the hands of a skilled player.

Despite me not liking his character, I love how Vaan plays.  This probably stems from me maining Firion for 100 hours, but Vaan just feels right  I can see myself spending a lot of time with him in the future. Vaan plays a lot like Firion from the original (since Firion has been modified and is actually one of the stronger characters now), but with the addition of Terra-like Magic. He has his own version of Flood and Tornado, for example, as well as a nice Quake ability. He also has a crossbow attack that acts like Laguna's machine gun that is rather all-purpose.
On the negative side, he doesn't have many HP attacks besides spells, though they are tracking attacks.  He also has some issues with ranged attackers - another trait he and Firion share.

Laguna is fun to play as, but I'm not very good with him.  I like his machine gun Brave Attack and his HP attacks are both varied and useful.  Some are hard to use though, like his sniper rifle, but are also very powerful.

Terra and Kuja feel different.  They don't play exactly the same.  Kuja feels a like he was hit with the nerf bat (again), and Terra has lost some range on her abilities.  I'm not high enough in level with them to comment on higher level play, but that's what it feels like at low levels.

Kefka received a buff and fighting him on any difficulty above easy shows this.  For example, his Brave attacks have quite high priority now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:12:27 AM by Cyril »

RpgN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
Dissidia is a lot of fun. I went back to it after playing Prologus in preparation for Duodicem. It's nice that is has so much depth and options, but it's understandable that it can be very overwhelming at the beginning. Also it's awesome seeing FF characters from all the games together and having some moments of nostalgia from the past. Like how Firion holds his sword on the original game's artwork, you can see that expression and stance before he fought the Emperor on Dissidia. I'm having a blast with it. Can't wait to get into the sequel and play with the new characters :D
I come in peace :)