Author Topic: a pet peeve of mine is....

Alisha

• View Profile
Re: a pet peve of mine is....
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
i also hate when guys ask me for advice with girls. thats like asking a house cat how to catch a tiger.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:16 AM »
That is an awesome saying. :)

And my wife would be excited to see that she's not the only one who doesn't like the Harry Potter books.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »
I don't like Harry Potter because its writing is juvenile and lacks creativity. I read through two books before I just realized the person who wrote them will never improve the writing.

Also, J.K. Rowling's attitude is just annoying as fuck. Comparing yourself to Dickens, and doing things just for the sake of pissing off a certain set of people just strikes me as "I'm famous, so I'll do whatever I fucking want!" kind of mentality.

Back to the topic, I also hate when people make scenes in public. Seriously, every time someone makes a scene I want to punch them in the face. There are very few individual conflicts in the world that can't be solved civilly, but people are retards and insist on getting all indignant.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
I don't like Harry Potter because its writing is juvenile and lacks creativity. I read through two books before I just realized the person who wrote them will never improve the writing.

I generally like the HP stories.  A nice take on a barely fleshed-put genre (fantasy in film).

The only thing that irks me, is the use of "witch-world" tropes that it has trouble deviating from.  As is, the actual witch-world takes place in 19th, or early 20th century England, despite the modern day context.  The book/movies really shine when the Dersley's (or that fucking ghost chick in the toilet, wtf was that about?) are up as the "silly" cast of the "kids book" part of it.  I do respect the series' dive into darker waters by the end though; but I can get what you're on about. 

But hey, lord knows I still watch Disney flicks; they're colourful, fun, and generally good entertainment.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 02:08:15 AM »
My #1 pet peeve is white people.

Seriously, what the fuck? Get some pigment. Jesus.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »

Word.

Anyway. I like baggy clothes. A lot. Not obscenely baggy, but not "well-fit" either. I think it's far more comfortable and people look comfortable in it, and thus look good in it. I actually tend to think "well-fit" clothes, more often than not, are worn by tools than the other way around. I guess in that sense that's a pet peeve of mine.

Another is when there is a long line to get on the bus and some idiot cuts it. This typically happens when some freaking self-entitled woman comes along acting like she's god's gift to earth and deserves to have everyone else wait for her to get on the bus. It also happens to be younger woman a lot of the time, nevermind the fact that there are older women who have been waiting patiently in line themselves.

I also hate people being late. I am a very punctual person and it really really irks me when someone makes some kind of an appointment with me and they are late. I mean, even 5 minutes is enough for me to get pissed off. I understand things come up, but I like being informed of such things before hand. I really hate standing around and waiting for someone.

Listening to people bitch and moan and complain about a professor before class starts, and then listening to them turn into a complete kiss ass when class starts. Talk about spineless.

People who bitch and moan about their grades and blame the incompetence of the professor. God dammit, if you get a D, you get a D, just own up to the damn thing. This applies to any and all other screw ups in life.

People who can't be bothered to wear headphones while on bus/in public place. Thank you for forcing me to listen to your crappy music at the loudest level possible through your shitty phone speakers. That really made my day.j

Internet hate. I mean the kind of hate in retaliation of hate. Like that recent thing with the UCLA girl who had that video about Asians in the library who then had to drop out of school and run because people thought proper retaliation was to threaten her and her family's life. Way to fight ignorance with hate, assholes.

People who think that their conversation is so important that they have to draw everyone around them into it. Whether that means being EXTREMELY loud so everyone in the room or area can hear you, or making off comments to whoever is nearby. I'm sure whatever the guy you were talking to said was crazy, but I really don't freaking care.

Also, I don't mind Harry Potter being "juvenile" because it's ultimately teen fiction.

J.K. Rowling has seemed like a tool whenever she does something publicly though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:19:48 AM by Azrael »

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
I know too little about what Rowling does in public to dislike her. She did donate a boatload o'cash to my University for MS research though, so kudos to her! The HP books are YA fiction, I don't really expect them to be more than that. Just an easy and entertaining read.

I abhor people who don't chew food with their mouth closed, right next to me. So obnoxious. It always happens to be when I'm trying to focus on something too.

This. People who chew their food with their mouth open, it just bothers me. I can understand if children do it but it's just ridiculous if you're anywhere above the age of thirteen.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
General Pet Peeves:

1. Male-bashing, TV shows portraying men as idiots, etc. Sexism in general bugs me a lot. It really bugs me that sexism against males is apparently still okay. I don't like seeing TV shows where the central joke is "men are stupid and don't know how to raise kids."

2. People who willingly give up their personal agency. People that do stupid shit not entirely of their own free will because they're led to stupid conclusions by bad advice. People that let other people control them. People that settle for industry best standards. People that make decisions that affect/permanently fuck up other people without really thinking about what/why they're doing it.

People that get drunk and get in a crash and kill someone. Look, you know, murderers? I have way more respect for murderers than I do drunk drivers. Killing someone is a terrible and evil thing to do, but if you have a reason for doing it, even if it's a stupid reason, as long as you're actually aware of what you're doing, you're still human. You get drunk, ram into someone on the interstate, roll their car over and break the drivers neck, you're pretty much less than human in my eyes at that point.

Internet communities in general:

Most internet communities eventually turn into a personality cult centered around one key figure, typically an administrator though not always, or a central group of people, again, usually administrators.

Various pet peeves from various forums:

Gardenweb:

1. Everyone's obsession with jades, especially Hummel's Sunset and Gollum. Jades are boring-ass plants to begin with and I'm not sure why you'd ever want more than one, let alone nothing BUT jades. Hummel's Sunset is apparently like some holy grail of jades even though it has nothing distinguishing about it except for the leaves are yellow and red-rimmed in bright sunlight. Gollum is the ugliest fucking cultivar of anything.

2. KenAdrian's typing style. It's like you combine FireMyst's inability to form multi-clausal sentences with a weird tendency to make every sentence its own paragraph, a massive and inappropriate over/misuse of commas, and an obsession with ending every sentence in an ellipsis. It's like you just did a bunch of salvia after being away for 48 hours straight and then watched William Shatner sing Rocket Man.

3. Basically everything norma says/does. She refuses to open links and bitches at people if they don't just embed images, she responds to every plant problem with something like "most plant problems are cultural" which is incredibly non-useful because it's basically just saying "yr. growing it wrong" which is PROBABLY obvious to the person posting the question and they want more specific information on WHY they're growing it wrong, she doesn't seem to understand that her native Southern California is a vastly different climate from, say, New York, and she also is obsessed with jades.

Motherfucking jades.

I mean admittedly she's probably like, sixty-something, but whatever. Being old isn't an excuse to be annoying.

4. Speaking of which, weird tendencies for flame wars to occur between old people over like, soil composition. Also they never really involve norma anyway (unless it's a lopsided thing with her bitching at other people for some psychotic reason). Actually no this isn't a pet peeve, this is fucking adorable.

Gamedev.net

Freely admitting that I mostly just hang around here to troll them anyway but there's a few things that just drive me insane in particular.

1. WAY to many people starting almost every sentence with the word "Well." "Well I tried to program X" or "Well I want to make Y." Why? Why are they doing this? Well is a perfectly valid filler word, but not like that.

2. Endlessly pontificating about design documents and game ideas without doing anything.

3. Endlessly trying to optimize/secure/nebulously improve code without actually working on anything.

4. Obsession with that C++ FAQ that refers to various features as evil. Also quoting it.

RPGFan:

Thoren's fine ass and my inability to tap dat.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
1. Male-bashing, TV shows portraying men as idiots, etc. Sexism in general bugs me a lot. It really bugs me that sexism against males is apparently still okay. I don't like seeing TV shows where the central joke is "men are stupid and don't know how to raise kids."
Agreed, so much.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
It's part of the secret feminine supremacy plan.

1. Complain about women rights against men rights in order to raise them
2. Call for equity while preserving every advantage
3. Diminish male pride and self confidence

Soon the world will be ruled by women.
Now excuse me, I need to get back in the kitchen and make a sammich =/

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
Agreed, so much.

You can say that.  But men are still more typically called on as "heroes" of a show, usually taking the tougher lead roles and still coming out as the smarter of the sexes (hell look at CSI, it's related spin-offs, and other cop-mystery shows).  I'm not trying to argue FOR women, but you can't make the argument without saying it doesn't apply the other way around just as much.

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about the tropes you see.  The infectious "Homer Simpson" gene that seems to be passed around to all fat, male, sitcom leads.  Fat is a big deal on it's own - raaarely do you see it not used to be the factor that connotes "idiocy" in men.  Hell, even the typical way men and women are perceived because of what we are born is the bigger problem.  It's bad enough "blond" also means "being an idiot" - how the hell was that supposed to be related? 

And seriously?  Diminish male pride???  You've had it FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS.  In the last century women were finally given the right to vote.  So don't ever complain - you fellas *still* have the upperhand in most matters and you probably will for the next little while, so uh, rest easy there.  

One thing I will say that sucks is women's occasional unfair ability to tug at the courts for their case more than a mans.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:58:39 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »

Very mature, Rondell.  Will you cut the malarky?
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
Agreed, so much.

And seriously?  Diminish male pride???  You've had it FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS.  In the last century women were finally given the right to vote.  So don't ever complain - you fellas *still* have the upperhand in most matters and you probably will for the next little while, so uh, rest easy there.

Why do women always feel defensive whenever men speak of equity? I see bold text and capital letters. I'm not against it, don't protest against me for ____'s sake. This is why I hate this topic.
I'm just saying feminism is going strong while men get laughed at for trying to ascertain their identity.

Provide for the family? nope, not manly
Have a male oriented job (lumberjack)? nope, equity, not manly anymore
Have a big car? nope
Have sex with women? lesbians...
Wear pants? nope
... errr so.... erm.......

Link for more info: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201007/our-male-identity-crisis-what-will-happen-men
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:38:00 PM by Annubis »

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
pet peeve, or an annoyance.

Constant communication. I hate it. Texts, chats, emails. Ungh.

By the time you see someone face to face there ain't shit to talk about except "did you get my message?"

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
Agreed, so much.

Why do women always feel defensive whenever men speak of equity? I see bold text and capital letters. I'm not against it, don't protest against me for ____'s sake. This is why I hate this topic.
I'm just saying feminism is going strong while men get laughed at for trying to ascertain their identity.

Provide for the family? nope, not manly
Have a male oriented job (lumberjack)? nope, equity, not manly anymore
Have a big car? nope
Have sex with women? lesbians...
Wear pants? nope
... errr so.... erm.......

Link for more info: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201007/our-male-identity-crisis-what-will-happen-men

You missed my main point though.  You can't say women are having all the fun now and we're "actively stealing male identity" or whatever.  For one, we just recently got that privledge, and the balance is still whack in most 3rd world nations.  I also said, whatever you say about women, almost applies just as much for men.  You can't say one with the other in terms of who's getting "unfair treatment".  I'm not trying to be overly defensive, but you're missing the bigger picture.  Women are still way more easily frowned upon than men for certain actions, and are still just as badly typecasted (but again, this applies to both sexes).  And many feminists fight for equality, only a mean few want to usurp the male dominance position for their own.

I personally think there are some aspects that will never change, mainly things that have to deal with the idea of being a women (the kids things, the femininity thing, and whatever home-making aspects).  I don't doubt roles are changing, but it's a matter that most women don't give a shit about working as lumberjacks as much as some men couldn't give two hoots about working in a makeup shop -- things like that are just too hard to change.  I have no idea what point the second half way trying to make.  Either way, it's not about taking male identity and pride - at least for me it isn't; it's just about some of the more severe typecasting women get (eg; it's too easy to assume females with house duty; or most men are the action stars).

One thing that does cheese me off, is the "equality" is an "equal hire employer" - that's something that the best fit for a job or scholarship or whatever should get.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!