Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.  (Read 20357 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

Anonymous has always been stupid.  It's just a collection of 4chan /b/tards.
Granted, but if you give a moron a gun, all of a sudden he becomes a very serious risk.

In this case, replace a moron with anon, and replace gun with the internet.

TASTY!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »

I don't think assholes are limited to the population of hackers.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »

PSN has constantly been crashing this week. I don't know if they have anything to do with this but if their idea of protecting consumer rights is not letting me and every PS3 owner use the online features in our games they can go fuck themselves.
All sony related sites have been in constant maintenance, I doubt this is a coincidence.

Edit:

This pretty much confirms it:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1159776p1.html

"Sony said today it is investigating what caused PlayStation Network and its web domains to suffer from outages yesterday. The company issued a statement this morning suggesting it was a possible target from an "outside party."

Go hackers! The best way to get revenge on sony for disabling a feature is to remove yet another feature! Well played, you guys are geniuses!

Please warn me whenever you think it's ok for me to play killzone 3 again.

Thank you very much.

Keep fighting the good fight!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:31:12 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »

These guys aren't hackers, they're script kiddies.  Calling them 'hackers' is giving them way too much respect.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

But guys, they just want us to take the time to understand them!

http://www.destructoid.com/anonymous-big-surprises-coming-for-sony-198235.phtml

Perhaps their point about consumer rights would be more clear if they weren't currently, you know, denying consumers their right to get on PSN.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »

"The consumers in this are as one might call, collateral damage."

I wouldn't mind giving these basement dwellers a taste of collateral damage.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »

Maybe their method is wrong, but the cause is worth attention.

Your corrupt business practices are indicative of a corporate philosophy that would deny consumers the right to use products they have paid for, and rightfully own, in the manner of their choosing. Perhaps you should alert your customers to the fact that they are apparently only renting your products? In light of this assault on both rights and free expression, Anonymous, the notoriously handsome rulers of the internet, would like to inform you that you have only been "renting" your web domains. Having trodden upon Anonymous' rights, you must now be trodden on.

If you disagree with the disciplinary actions against your private domains, then we trust you can also understand our motivations for these actions. You own your domains. You paid for them with your own money. Now Anonymous is attacking your private property because we disagree with your actions. And that seems, dare we say it, "wrong." Sound familiar?
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »

Here is a good post from the Penny Arcade forums from TetraNitroCubane:

Here's the part of the argument concerning this case that I don't understand: What does the consumer gain from Sony's victory here? As a consumer and PS3 owner, if Sony wins this case, I don't think I benefit at all. Their success against Hotz will not turn back time. Those who used Hotz's published information for unscrupulous purposes such as piracy or compromising the integrity of online games won't stop magically because of this case. If Sony wins, it's not even going to be a deterrent against future hacking of their hardware and/or software. At best, it will just mean that from here on in the hackers won't be as public about their work, and won't attach their names to it (why Hotz did this still baffles me - Fame or no, he should have seen this coming). Sony winning against Hotz doesn't do anything positive for the end user, at all. The only reason I can see here for wanting Hotz to be defeated is spite and scapegoating - there are no real benefits, so far as I can see.

On the other hand, Sony's success here would set a legal precedent against the end user modifying and using hardware as he/she sees fit. It would reinforce the idea that Sony still owns the console even after purchase, and that the end user must use it only in accord with their wishes. That's a significant loss of rights, and not worth Sony winning in my opinion.

Thus, even if one likes Sony and hate pirates, I can't understand why one would want Sony to win here. If they win, you gain nothing, and lose much more.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

This is awesome. I don't give a shit about causes, I just like it when stuff explodes~

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »

I don't get how these kids think this is okay, or even on the same level as what sony did removing the other OS functionality. Sony taking what they implemented out of their system is their business, if you're unhappy, shouldn't have updated your system. I don't like it, but I accepted said terms. How about these jerkoffs maybe do something productive with their lives instead of calling a sony executive and leaving CHOCOLATE RAIN on his voicemail, after going through a ridiculous amount of work obtaining his cell phone number? Fuck, if these guys put their huge amount of dedicated stupidity to real use, the world find a new cheap energy source, or maybe advance our own technology to levels beyond. No lets send Kaz Hirai 100 pizzas, BECAUSE THIS SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!!

Wasted fucking talent.

TASTY!
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »

To be fair Agent D, it's not Sony's business to modify what your console is capable of once it's been sold to you. That's really what's on the line in the lawsuit.

I don't own a PS3, so I might be wrong, but if you don't update, doesn't that mean you can't access the PSN?

These kids know they're not going to change Sony's mind. For all the inconvenience that Sony has caused them, sending them 100 pizzas and knocking down Sony for a few days is about the best option they have.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »

They can send pizzas to whoever the fuck they want. What they can't do is disable my PS3's online capabilities.

And no Agent D, not updating is not an option and you know it. Fuck sony for removing other OS and fuck these retards for messing with my PS3.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

So you'd choose entertainment over protest any day?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »

Like I said, they can send pizzas or whatever the fuck they are doing all they want, but they can't mess with hardware that I own, if it's for entertainment or something else is irelevant. I think it's an easy enough to understand concept.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »

But they aren't messing with anything you own.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: