Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327381 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.  (Read 20793 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »

I posted this on Kotaku and I'll post it here:

It's simultaneously shocking and disgusting how deep the advanced corporate brainwashing of a generation of gamers has become. They are so dependant on a corporation that engineers their source of entertainment that they are willing to damn anybody who said corporation deems an 'enemy.' Many are claiming that the EULA makes Sony's decisions defensible.

As a mental exercise, let us assume that there is a television manufacturer who decided to update their televisions with a firmware update that disabled the ability to play video game consoles on said television. Users are required to download said firmware or they wouldn't be able to watch television programs on it. An individual releases a hack that allows people to hook up their systems to the television and still retain TV program functionality. As a side effect, other individuals find a way to use this hack to get free cable. Who is accountable here? Would the excuse, "video games are for losers, only a few people use their TV for that anyway" fly? Certainly not.

If that scenario is a bit too theoretical, consider this: if Sony had removed the ability to play Blu Ray movies, or even games themselves, would people still allow Sony to hide behind the EULA shield? The fact that OtherOS is defined by some as an extraneous addition to the console is not the point of the matter; some can just as easily say "I bought the PS3 just to play games," does it mean Sony is allowed to strip out any features other than playing games? Where does the line end? At this point, the EULA seems to be little more than an excuse for corporations to do whatever they want with hardware bought and paid for by consumers. It's little more than a leash and collar for consumers.

As another matter, so many here are ready to lynch and/or crucify Geohotz for 'being/looking/sounding like a douche.' Let's be honest, this is petty, immature, and idiotic. Wanting someone's life to be ruined because "he's a douche" regardless of if he did or did not do anything wrong is a fucking appalling position to take. Again, where do you draw the line? I'm a doctor - am I allowed to let a patient die because he hacked his PS3, or because I just don't like the look of him? Would I be hailed as a hero by some if I did? That would be an utterly disgusting world to live in.

It sets a dangerous precedent and paints a dire future where juries pass verdicts not because of evidence, but because of irrational and vapid reactions. A future where individuals are in the corporation's pockets due to being their consumers - "your honor, we the jury find the defendant guilty because he looks like a douche and once totally haX0rd a Xbox."

Sometimes we need to accept that there are no proverbial good guys and bad guys in a conflict. Sometimes it's just about different ideologies (corporate control vs. consumer rights). Perhaps some people's minds have been decayed so much that by this time they can only see things in black and white. I'll be honest - I don't like Geohotz. I think he is, in many ways, a douche. I will defend the industry at times where I think consumers are acting overly entitled - Xbox Live fees, paid DLC, and yes, even EULAs, when appropriate. But in this case it is not appropriate and I am not ready to see a young man have his life ruined because of my personal feelings against him.

Perhaps those who are so ready to condemn him would be more appreciative of his situation if they are ever accused of a crime they did not commit, and people want THEM to be thrown in jail because they look like 'a douche' or are 'fugly ass nerds.' Here, Geohotz is not a criminal, neither is wanting to leave for Spring Break (a trip he purportedly planned four months in advance) a crime. I expect sycophants to be all over my post telling me off, but in truth, the more you support corporations doing this, the more restricted we as consumers will be in the future. We should be standing in solidarity against an entity that seeks to demean us and our rights, but instead we are successfully divided due to loyalty to a faceless corporation that seeks to oppress and dehumanize us more and more as time wears on. One only needs to look at XCP and Aibopet debacles to see where Sony's heading. It is not a road we can coexist with.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 07:56:30 PM »

Oh, I'm not saying that he used the donation to pay for his vacation, nobody can prove if he did or didn't and frankly, I don't give a fuck. I was just pointing out the hilarious reactions all over the net when the news broke.
Removing the other OS feature was a lousy move, no doubt about it. The irony is the fact that it was caused by security concerns. They shouldn't have included it in the first place.
I can understand both sides. I hope they don't end up ruining the kid's live, like I said, they'll probably make an example out of him to discourage others from doing the same.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »

@Leyviur

I like how you worded that all, it makes a lot of sense. It's true, corporations are kinda taking control of our entertainment, but the only way to change it is to make your own form of it, or accept it and the laws that (in america at least) we the people agreed to. Sure we could do what someone like geohotz did and alter their media for our own gain, but at least for the time being (moreso if sony wins this lawsuit) it's against the law. You could call geohot a vigilante in what he's doing (he's still an asshole in my opinion, but eh). Maybe he's really trying to take a stand, or maybe he's just (like I figure it honestly) a pathetic kid who wanted more notoriety and fame for doing something, and it backfired. I still figure both Sony and Geohot to be fucking jerks in any case, Sony for being a manipulative greed-based corporation, and Geohot for being a smug basement dweller who thinks he can get away with what he's doing, but atm my favor leans towards sony. Geohot bought a ps3, and if he wasn't happy with the removal of the secondary OS function, he honestly shoulda gotten rid of his PS3 and been done with it. Now he's wasting his money, people's money, his time, sony's time, and a lot of energy on this whole lawsuit debacle when he could have went ahead and maybe made his own console based entertainment system, or applied for a job with sony directly and try to change these issues from the inside.

(btw I'm really enjoying the insights everyone's putting into this, no one I know personally cares to talk about this at all cuz they just wanna pirate their damned games all the time, lets keep it going please)

TASTY!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »

Oh, I'm not saying that he used the donation to pay for his vacation, nobody can prove if he did or didn't and frankly, I don't give a fuck. I was just pointing out the hilarious reactions all over the net when the news broke.
Removing the other OS feature was a lousy move, no doubt about it. The irony is the fact that it was caused by security concerns. They shouldn't have included it in the first place.
I can understand both sides. I hope they don't end up ruining the kid's live, like I said, they'll probably make an example out of him to discourage others from doing the same.
Actually, IGN claimed something about the secondary OS removal now being blamed on cost cutting. Not 100% sure, it was just a glance I caught of it really, but it may be worth looking into. Regardless as to why, it was still a dick move, I think that much everyone can agree on.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »

a pathetic kid who wanted more notoriety and fame for doing something, and it backfired.

The funny thing is, before the court case, I'd say 5,000 people knew Hotz. Usually those hanging around psx scene.

For the records, I also think he looks like a douche, but I don't judge him about it... but man, an image change would help.
I mean, if he was a valet at an hotel, I wouldn't give him my keys.
Get it, MY KEYS!!!
badum tish!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »

I'm surprised these homebrewers and hackers aren't invited to help the development teams.  Clearly they have a decent grasp of what they're doing, and they're usually doing things that the players want.  

Bad example, but the fact that jailbreakers figured out how to give ordinary iPhone users a wallpaper image over a year before it was a feature made for an official Apple Update (which actually only worked for people with a certain iPhone hardware version, unlike the Jailbreak which worked for all) was an absolute grievance.

Too busy too type more. WISH ME LUCK ON PAPER

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:28 PM »

I'm surprised these homebrewers and hackers aren't invited to help the development teams.  Clearly they have a decent grasp of what they're doing, and they're usually doing things that the players want.  

Bad example, but the fact that jailbreakers figured out how to give ordinary iPhone users a wallpaper image over a year before it was a feature made for an official Apple Update (which actually only worked for people with a certain iPhone hardware version, unlike the Jailbreak which worked for all) was an absolute grievance.

Too busy too type more. WISH ME LUCK ON PAPER

A lot of them are, actually. One of GeoHot's hacker colleagues was invited for a job with Sony Entertainment's EAD division, but turned them down because of the current case.

If Sony was smart they'd hire these kids for security of their damn consoles, lol.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »

Actually, IGN claimed something about the secondary OS removal now being blamed on cost cutting. Not 100% sure, it was just a glance I caught of it really, but it may be worth looking into. Regardless as to why, it was still a dick move, I think that much everyone can agree on.

I saw that but I don't buy it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

I saw that but I don't buy it.
Honestly....me neither.

@Anuubis
Nah, he was already pretty popular from the iphone break. Way more notorious than say...Dark Alex (psp guy).

At least if he gets jailtime, he can just "jailbreak" his way out, amirite?

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

If he is thrown in jail it will be a huge strike against human rights and opens the door for corporations to lynch consumers as they see fit.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »

If he is thrown in jail it will be a huge strike against human rights and opens the door for corporations to lynch consumers as they see fit.
Uh....yeah he's not gonna get jailtime, it was just a shot at using jailbreak for hilarity reasons. If he gets put in jail for this I'm probably leaving America for someplace less...stupid.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »

I seriously would not put it past Sony to push for jailtime at this point, honestly.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

you up your games to $60 and you didnt see this coming? for shame sony.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »

you up your games to $60 and you didnt see this coming? for shame sony.
Oh cmon, nintendo was charging how much for SNES carts back in its prime? I found my original copy of Megaman X at funcoland for 70 bucks when I was 8 and it first came out. I'd be more inclined to bash sony for allowing developers to put shitty ports like Black Ops and Portal onto the PS3 and expect people to pay full price for them in their crappy state.

@Leyviur....touche.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

i remember buying new dreamcast games at one time for between $40-50 man back i was buying like a 2 games per paycheck. now sometimes i dont even buy one.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: