Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 12:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331670 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.  (Read 21288 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »

Whatever man.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »

Just found this on a site.

Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time. Sony’s official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »

I learned one thing, I'll never mess w/ CDFN's system.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »

I learned one thing, I'll never mess w/ CDFN's system.

If you do, you're going down.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »

Just found this on a site.

Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time. Sony’s official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers.

That's weird because the day before yesterday they said this:

"Sony said today it is investigating what caused PlayStation Network and its web domains to suffer from outages yesterday. The company issued a statement this morning suggesting it was a possible target from an "outside party."

I don't think they'd be investigating what caused the PSN outages if they had been cause by themselves. Just sayin'.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »

No, they did DDoS it. They're saying they're stopping now because they want to look for a way that won't affect the customer.
Meaning the PSN will come back whenever Sony's done with the maintenance to fix it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

Joint Statement

Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and George Hotz (“Hotz”) today announced the settlement of the lawsuit filed by SCEA against Hotz in federal court in San Francisco, California. The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011. As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction.

Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

In the action, SCEA accused Hotz of violating federal law by posting online information about the security system in the PlayStation 3 videogame console and software that SCEA claimed could be used to circumvent the security system in the console and allow the playing of pirated videogames. Hotz denies any wrongdoing on his part. Hotz’s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction was still pending before the federal court in San Francisco but a preliminary injunction was issued requiring Hotz to take down the postings challenged by SCEA.

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”

No more drama, I guess this is the logical conclusion. Hotz agrees to never say the words PS3 and hacking in the same sentence. Sony... well, I don't know if this will cause hackers to think twice before messing with sony hardware but there was no point in dragging the kid through legal hell any further, from the moment he agrees to stop sharing information about PS3 hacking that's pretty much all they could want from him, keeping it up would just be a waste of money and time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:22:31 PM by CDFN » Logged

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Ok, I read a 'for dummy' version of that thing and I understand what it means now.

Sucks if you sponsored his defense hoping for legalized homebrew or otherOS I guess =/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:31:34 PM by Annubis » Logged
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

If you sent money in,you are back to Square One.Hotz won nothing,Sony sent the message and OtherOs is still off my PS3 until they say otherwise.

Anon wasted their time when they should be keeping up the corporate and government attacks.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »

I wonder if anon's still going through with their sony sit-in boycott this saturday?

TASTY!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

George "Geohot" Hotz – the man who hacked the PlayStation 3 – promised Sony he'll never fiddle about with the innards of a PlayStation 3 again. But now he's gone one step further, and vowed never to buy a Sony product ever again.

"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the SONY boycott," he wrote on his blog. "I will never purchase another SONY product.

"I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something SONY recently, return it."

The settlement between Hotz and Sony was announced on Monday. Sony was "glad" and Hotz was "happy" to bring an end to the bitter legal scrap that began in January.

You'd have thought budding rapper Geohot would take take the settlement and keep a low profile – at least for a while. Not so.

"There is much more to come on this blog," he added.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-13-geohot-vows-to-boycott-sony-products

I guess keeping a low profile for at least 24 hours after the settlement would be too much to ask lol.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »

George "Geohot" Hotz – the man who hacked the PlayStation 3 – promised Sony he'll never fiddle about with the innards of a PlayStation 3 again. But now he's gone one step further, and vowed never to buy a Sony product ever again.

"As of 4/11/11, I am joining the SONY boycott," he wrote on his blog. "I will never purchase another SONY product.

"I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something SONY recently, return it."

The settlement between Hotz and Sony was announced on Monday. Sony was "glad" and Hotz was "happy" to bring an end to the bitter legal scrap that began in January.

You'd have thought budding rapper Geohot would take take the settlement and keep a low profile – at least for a while. Not so.

"There is much more to come on this blog," he added.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-13-geohot-vows-to-boycott-sony-products

I guess keeping a low profile for at least 24 hours after the settlement would be too much to ask lol.
It's funny he said he's boycotting them, cuz as I read it, he was banned from owning and using Sony products, at least according to the articles I read. Supposedly, you can find the terms of the settlement online, but I didn't feel like reading a huge pdf containing the gist of what I read in super legal terms (referred to from here on as mumbo-jumbo) about Sony Corporation (referred to here on as WINRARS) settling with Geohot (referred to here on as loudmouth mcasshat).

TASTY!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

I don't think anyone can legally enforce not being allowed to buy products by a certain manufacturer. I'm sure the settlement was something to the effect of a legal contract where Geohotz basically agreed to never modify any Sony product. 

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:23 AM »

No, I think he's right. Hotz cannot own or touch any Sony product. At least from what I got from the mumbo jumbo... which I suck I deciphering... (seriously, those things don't even look like English anymore)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »

No, I think he's right. Hotz cannot own or touch any Sony product. At least from what I got from the mumbo jumbo... which I suck I deciphering... (seriously, those things don't even look like English anymore)
Honestly, I doubt Sony can really enforce it if it is the case. Since it's a settlement, that would mean that for Sony to fully be 100% sure he's not buying their stuff, they'd have to do periodic checks at his home, which would mean he essentially signed his privacy away to Sony....which no one with half a brain would do without a court order. Then again, Hotz was the dumbass who bragged about it, so you never know.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: