Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 08:01:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334804 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.  (Read 21659 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »

I think the one guy in the front row has a Snake Plisskin hoodie on?  Dunno why I noticed that as Ive never even watched a movie with that character in it.  Also...its a start I guess?  Hopefully the free software isn't jank ><  Still gonna take more than that to earn trust, but we shall see.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »

20 bucks says we get a free avatar picture, assuming new PSN will even work for more than an hour.

TASTY!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

Sony hacked again.

On a smaller scale than the hack before, but nevertheless still bad news.  This time it's Sony Online Entertainment.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »

Sony picked the wrong people to bully around.  Even if they catch the hackers, the damage to their brand is immeasurable.

I played some SOE games, but now that I have my new card number and closed off the old one, Sony will not have my new one.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2011, 03:50:21 AM »

http://www.playstationjunkie.co.uk/psnstatus/

Shit is still down and people are getting bored unlocking trophies, sad times.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »

http://kotaku.com/#!5798675/anonymous-fears-nerd-backlash-from-playstation-hack

"Sony revealed it discovered a file on Sony Online Entertainment servers called "Anonymous" with the group's tagline, "We Are Legion."

"The attack sparked a nerd backlash which crippled Anonymous chat servers with retaliatory strikes and was generally a PR disaster."

"All the Sony kids were flooding the [Anonymous chat servers] and whining and complaining," said Gregg Housh an activist associated with Anonymous. An attack on Sony's PlayStation Network "pisses off a lot of people they want as fans not enemies."

"Stealing millions of regular folks' credit cards is not a good look for Anonymous, the self-styled defenders of free speech."

So either Sony is lying or the real hackers planted that file to use anonymous as a scapegoat. After  this: http://www.destructoid.com/anonymous-big-surprises-coming-for-sony-198235.phtml they will have a pretty hard time convincing people they didn't do it and become the perfect scapegoat for any hacker who wants to attack sony.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

Sony trying to play the blame game won't garner much sympathy.  They may as well post a press release revealing that a bunch of human beings hacked their servers.  It's about as meaningful as bringing up Anonymous.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »

Sony trying to play the blame game won't garner much sympathy.  They may as well post a press release revealing that a bunch of human beings hacked their servers.  It's about as meaningful as bringing up Anonymous.

Oh shit.

I get it.

They're using anonymous as a cover to keep people from knowing that SKYNET HACKED PSN TO GAIN CONTROL OF IT.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Eh, I don't have much sympathy for Anon. They've become too big for their britches that they can't contain themselves - they make a big stink about anyone or anything they hack, so of course they're gonna be suspected first.

My personal opnion? I think a splinter group from Anon did this. So in other words, it's anon but at the same time it's not.

I have no problem with actual hackers, but anon borderlines on crackers and closet geeky b/tards, and I find what they do support to be suspect at best (Except cats. I fully support their love of cats).

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »

People need to stop treating anonymous like some sort of coherent organization.  It isn't.

'Splinter group'?  What does that even mean?  Splintered from what?  The way anonymous works, if you say you're in anonymous then you're in anonymous.  So this really doesn't surprise me at all.  It's also completely meaningless.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »

People need to stop treating anonymous like some sort of coherent organization.  It isn't.

'Splinter group'?  What does that even mean?  Splintered from what?  The way anonymous works, if you say you're in anonymous then you're in anonymous.  So this really doesn't surprise me at all.  It's also completely meaningless.

I meant a group who claims they are part of 'anon' but don't exactly think like anon does.

By the way, who says I considered anon to a coherant group? The reason they aren't coherant is probably why this problem happened in the first place. You get one splinter or group of anon betards who think this is badass, but anon, while incoherant, does sort of think alike. This doesn't feel like typical anon stuff.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »

I honestly don't trust Sony to yell the truth, so I remain skeptical until irrefutable evidence is given to us. They've been trying to dodge blame since this started, I don't see why they wouldn't try to find a convenient scapegoat for this. Their executives couldn't say "Good morning" without lying twice.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »

Just days before PSN was "hacked," Sony fired over 200 employees in their online division.

In Sony massive corporation style thinking, once March 31th, 2011 rolls around they decide to get rid of any "dead-weight", in this case, employees they think are "useless" or no longer needed so they can close off the "year-end books" with various "claimed losts" to save corporation taxes, just like any big massive corporation thinks, only for themselves and their "bottom line", not for the little human beings slaving away everyday for their profits.

Like all layoffs that are hard to swallow, this case was a big one, one 1/3 of the staff that worked in the ONLINE division, in all over 200 employees were given their sad "pink slip" 2 week notice, which means they had to work right up until the very dates that Sony had to shutdown the PSN network!

I think this is a way better lead than blaming Anonymous.
Also, it seems ex Sony employees really hate their former employer seeing the other big blow Sony suffered this week.

Geoff Levand is the programmer who worked for Sony supporting OtherOS and made the ill-fated and oft-quoted promise that Sony would never ever remove OtherOS from fat PS3s.

05-03-2011
Geoffrey Levand has brought back what Sony once took away, OtherOS. Today he has released a dual boot custom firmware, which allows booting of OtherOS or GameOS.

On his website:

One small steps for devs, one giant kick in the nuts for Sony Corp.

@SONY
My hardware, my rules.
I brought back what you took away.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »

I honestly don't trust Sony to yell the truth

I don't trust them to tell it, let alone YELL it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »

See, we can rationalize this all we want, but the masses are totally buying into this now. "Sony got attacked by anonymous, and hey they hacked Sony a couple weeks ago, so it must be true now." Sony's managing to take this huge fuckup of theirs and spin it into positive P.R., the masses are eating it up. I walked into radioshack monday (before this was announced, the whole anonymous tagling on SoE servers), and someone was talking about how Sony's "Fighting the good fight" against those hackers. 3 people jumped into the convo (one being my coworker) and started chanting Sony. I had to tell them to start looking into their information better, which to me being labeled a 360 fanboy (lol failbox).

People are fucking idiots.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: