Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341138 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: George Hotz (geohot) VS Sony.  (Read 22229 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »

I'd sacrifice all the free shi....stuff they're offering for upgraded functions on PSN, like fucking cross game chat already, and maybe the ability to play music during the games like failbox.

Also, wow that free stuff is so....crappy.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:56 AM »

Crappy?!  I don't know much about Dead Nation, but LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Superstardust HD, and Wipeout are all great games.  I feel bad for anyone who already has them all, though...

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »

Swarbage compensation is swarbage. *shrugs* Then again since I'm not fond of online gaming outside of MMOs and didn't lose Netflix during the outage I wasn't inconvenienced at all. So it balances out. XD
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2011, 06:30:40 AM »

I'd sacrifice all the free shi....stuff they're offering for upgraded functions on PSN, like fucking cross game chat already, and maybe the ability to play music during the games like failbox.

I don't know what you're smoking but Wipeout and Infamous are 2 of the very best games on the system. In the case of Wipeout they even include the Fury expansion which makes it one of the best games you'll play this gen.
All the others are great as well. My issue is that I already own them, not the quality of the games.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-17-psn-hack-sony-software-obsolete

"In some cases, the software versions had security holes that had been documented on the internet for years," Bild said.

"For example, the OpenSSH 4.4 service was used to encrypt data communication. The current version is 5.7, however. The version used by Sony has security holes that had already been known for five years."

Bild also accuses Sony of running servers with the "outdated" Apache version 2.2.10, which it says is "vulnerable to threats such as distributed denial-of-service attacks".

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »

I don't know what you're smoking but Wipeout and Infamous are 2 of the very best games on the system. In the case of Wipeout they even include the Fury expansion which makes it one of the best games you'll play this gen.
All the others are great as well. My issue is that I already own them, not the quality of the games.

Not to mention that LBP and InFamous were full retail games at one point. I don't like Sony and I think they handled this all extremely poorly, but I have to admit they are offering a lot with this, especially considering I lost absolutely nothing over this cause I used fake names/addresses and deleted my CC info. Also the fact that I have 3 accounts means I can download all the games they are offering. I honestly can't complain, and wont. Cause what it comes down to is I'm getting 8 free games for not being able to download Arcana Heart 3 for however long it takes to get the store back up. I get it that some people will complain and should if they have had their info stolen, but I myself have nothing to complain about.

So yeah, hooray for free shit!

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »

The metacritic average for the games being offered is 84,5.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »

Damn I was hoping this debacle would force some PS3 sales so I can finally get a damn ps3
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »

Outdated for five years? I think I have a somewhat clearer picture of this; it WAS cutting edge security... when the PS3 was released. Then they never bothered to update the security gradually over the years and thus left an attack inevitable.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

Outdated for five years? I think I have a somewhat clearer picture of this; it WAS cutting edge security... when the PS3 was released. Then they never bothered to update the security gradually over the years and thus left an attack inevitable.

I agree, sounds more plausible.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »

The Japanese giant had been asking tens of millions of users worldwide to change their online gaming passwords after its systems were breached by hackers last month.

But it was forced to shut down the process overnight after it was shown that anyone could change a password using only a userís email address and date of birth. Both pieces of personal data were stolen in April's security breach.

According to Nyleveia, a videogames blog that was first to report the new problem, Sonyís reset process was not properly verifying Authentication Tokens, the small files used to establish a secure connection between consoles and the PlayStation Network.

The blog said it contacted Sony, which shut down the password reset process around 15 minutes later.

A Sony spokesman confirmed the reason behind the outage and said engineers are working to patch the vulnerability.

I'm going to be a lot more bored when this finally ends. Watching train wrecks is so darn entertaining.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »

I want to say something rasonable about how some people are getting really stupid about this situation. But when you see people bitching about that they are getting good games for free, you know something is wrong with this community.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »

The Japanese giant had been asking tens of millions of users worldwide to change their online gaming passwords after its systems were breached by hackers last month.

But it was forced to shut down the process overnight after it was shown that anyone could change a password using only a userís email address and date of birth. Both pieces of personal data were stolen in April's security breach.

According to Nyleveia, a videogames blog that was first to report the new problem, Sonyís reset process was not properly verifying Authentication Tokens, the small files used to establish a secure connection between consoles and the PlayStation Network.

The blog said it contacted Sony, which shut down the password reset process around 15 minutes later.

A Sony spokesman confirmed the reason behind the outage and said engineers are working to patch the vulnerability.

I'm going to be a lot more bored when this finally ends. Watching train wrecks is so darn entertaining.

I'm starting to think they are doing this on purpose because it's impossible that someone is so fucking incompetent. Maybe they hired monkeys?

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

I'm sure the employees are competent. They just have to deal with a completely unrealistic schedule... and that leads to mistakes and cut corners.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »

Hadn't even gotten to change my password yet. But there's been lots of games I can play offline anyway so I'm not in a rush for PSN to come back up.

I want to say something rasonable about how some people are getting really stupid about this situation. But when you see people bitching about that they are getting good games for free, you know something is wrong with this community.

I don't see THAT many people complaining here, honestly. And usually when they're complaining elsewhere, they own most of those titles. I think it's a fair enough selection. Not the greatest but they're free, what the hell do you want? I'd love to grab Infamous and DeadNation.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: