Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341248 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Monster Tale (DS)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Monster Tale (DS)  (Read 612 times)
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »

Is anyone else playing this game?  I fear that it may have been overlooked due to being released on the same day as Okamiden. 

A short introduction, for those who are unfamiliar:  The game is made by the team that handled the Henry Hatsworth project and combines an SNES-styled platformer/adventure with some monster raising elements.  I'm about three hours in, and thus far, it's a pretty solid game.  I'll post some more thoughts on it here later. 
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4gLleFUa0k
It looks addicting.
No gamestops around me seem to have it, so I'd get it online if possible.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »

Unfortunately, I'm finding it a bit bland.  I was expecting a Metroid/Castlevania type platformer/adventure with some monster raising elements to add variety and a more light-hearted setting and art style, but it's turning out to be more of a case of Metroidvania-lite.  The maps are a bit too small and there are too many areas where you're blocked from passage (much moreso than in a Metroid or Castlevania title) to honestly say that the game rewards exploration.  I'm also not fond of the fact that each task is pre-marked for you, though I realize this is the current style.  This can be useful, but I think it's over-done.  The platforming isn't particularly challenging, either, though there have been a few deaths due to combat in between save points.  The monster raising system, while extremely well balanced, is somewhat tedious.  The game simply doesn't have that addictive "it" quality that great platformer/adventure games have.  That said, I love the art style of the game which does a wonderful job with 16-bit style graphics; it's quite beautiful, in particular the backgrounds.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:28:43 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: