Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334801 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Neptunia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Neptunia  (Read 9173 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »

You don't even have to go that deep into Japan's under belly. Just watch any "normal" anime done by Gainax.

There's a reason the term Gainaxing exists: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »

I agree that it's not that bad, excluding the bandage bit and the boob jiggle pics, but you've missed the point of my post completely. You probably don't realize that I have young kids and I just don't want this displayed on the living room TV in front of them. Also, my wife really isn't into Japanese stuff and probably wouldn't get it, which could be... awkward.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

Well, considering the T-rating you shouldn't be anyway. XD But I get your point.

Pick up a little mini-TV sometime. Like those cheap $200 or less HDs you see on bottom shelf at Wal-Mart. That's what I use and it works just fine; it'll give you something to put in like a study or side bedroom for private gaming.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »

Well, I bought this today and I'm actually sort of insulted by it. Not for the obvious reasons, but the fact it has been so lazily developed.

Apart from the cute character designs (which I really do like), I feel like the game has been glued together from whatever garbage Idea Factory had in their dumpster outside their building. It is basically a clone of Trinity Universe with some slight improvements (and some bigger mistakes), but it's still not good. Also, whenever I listen to Compa's voice in Japanese I want to stab my own ears. I preferred the English voices this time, but they're not really wonderful either. And, again, the dialogue is mostly nonsense where the characters talk for hours and really don't say anything particularly entertaining or important.

Neptunia is another showcase of Idea Factory not learning from their mistakes and continuing to be lazy. Oh, I did think some of the parody jokes were funny though. The boob jokes, not so much... and when I'm running through dungeons as fast as I can and skipping battle "animations" (word used loosely)when I've only played a few hours, well, that's not a good sign.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:29:51 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »

It's an Idea Factory game. They gradually improve with every game. They could make bigger improvements, but at least they're trying.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »

It's an Idea Factory game. They gradually improve with every game. They could make bigger improvements, but at least they're trying.

Maybe by the time I die of old age their games will be moderately-good.

supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »

I'm 8 hours in and once you learn how to skip your own moves the battle system becomes fast and enjoyable. I'm having fun, although if you're not a die-hard JRPG fan you're probably not going to enjoy it.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »

Jeez, if this were a Final Fantasy game I'd be disappointed too, but I don't even know what games Idea Factory has made for this to be such a let down.  I keep hearing about Trinity Universe... *shrug* this is my first IF game.

I've been meaning to compare Neptunia to Recettear.  These two games have a lot in common, but since Neptunia isn't independently developed, it's held to a higher standard. 

People usually say "for what it is, it's a great product" in cases like this, and it usually sounds like an excuse, but really, this game is more of a "slice of life" or something than a serious romp.  In cases like this, the quality of the product matters less than if the game's characters and story are interesting to you.  What I mean is that if you don't like the characters, the gameplay mechanics aren't going to carry the rest of the weight.  Are you going to call 999 for DS a bad game if you don't like the story?  Am I making any sense?

Neptunia is another showcase of Idea Factory not learning from their mistakes and continuing to be lazy. Oh, I did think some of the parody jokes were funny though. The boob jokes, not so much... and when I'm running through dungeons as fast as I can and skipping battle "animations" (word used loosely)when I've only played a few hours, well, that's not a good sign.

Skipping battle animations isn't a sin in any game.  Pokemon does it, Persona does it... sounds like you're using the example to say that you are already annoyed by the game.  Again, the animation skipping is more than just a convenience for speed.  When you ring the monster bell, you fight a string of battles.  When you skip your enemies' and your animations, you will have beaten 4 encounters in the time it'd take to do one (also saving time with results screens and transitions).  It's a neat feeling, dammit!

I'm trying not to be a fanboy here, so I'll just say that after my first day of playing Neptunia, I was outspoken about how it sucks... I told the Gamestop employees that it simply wasn't fun.  After I realized that combat is really just a short break from the various cutscene material, I really enjoyed the game for what it was... because I could actually see what it was.

Time for me to accept that people may not like the things that I like :)

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »

Oh, I have nothing against you enjoying it at all! In fact, I'm glad you did!

My point about the battle animations was really just on a personal level rather than at the game itself. When I start skipping any content that early on, for me personally, it usually means I will be tiring of the game very soon.

Most of my annoyance is simply how little progress the company makes. As you haven't played Trinity Universe it's a little difficult to make the comparison, but the gameplay is extremely similar. It's not just the gameplay either. A lot of the sound effects and dungeon design are pretty much rehashed from previous games. Even the floating islands come across as a bit of a palette swap from the Netheruniverse in TU. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if they'd fixed the mistakes from TU or if it were a sequel; but they didn't and it isn't. Some of the gameplay mechanics are simply far clumsier than they should be.

I've been meaning to compare Neptunia to Recettear.  These two games have a lot in common, but since Neptunia isn't independently developed, it's held to a higher standard.

People usually say "for what it is, it's a great product" in cases like this, and it usually sounds like an excuse, but really, this game is more of a "slice of life" or something than a serious romp.

I would argue against them having a lot in common, but I see where you're coming from with the 'held to a higher standard'. In one sense, you're absolutely right. Except that it should be held to a higher standard. Idea Factory are hardly the richest company out there, but they have a lot more financial backing and manpower than the Indie companies do. Therefore they should be producing better games. At least in terms of technical qualities. If IF could translate some of their 2D graphical prowess to other areas of the game then they'd be well on the right track. Or maybe they should just make a visual novel.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »

Or maybe they should just make a visual novel.

That is a pretty good statement.  The fact that I praise the battle system for not taking up so much time goes to show that I am playing the game more for the visual novel style cutscenes.  People often argue that one should just read a book if you are playing a game only for the story, but I insist that videogames draw you in with their interactivity.  The dungeons here control the pacing, as I would probably get tired of watching cutscenes for hours on end.

Plus, the most basic loot whoring instincts are satisfied by hunting treasure.  It is fun enough, because it is quick.

As for Recettear, I am comparing the general sense of humor, and cyclical (versus repetitive :P) gameplay.  Story scene, shopping, optional scenes, dungeon/main gameplay.  Recettear probably does have more gameplay than Neptunia, and I definitely played Recettear for it's gameplay rather than to see what happens in the story, or even to see how Recette interacted with the other characters.

I am keeping a sharp eye out for Chantelise, because it seems more traditional than Recettear.  I am curious to see how far indie cred will take you when it comes to reviews.  If Carpe Fulgur made Neptunia and sold it for $10, knaaaaa~ mean? 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »

I think I offially give up looking for this game and will learn that in the future when any NIS game comes out I will just pre-order it so the store actually gets a copy in.. Its why I jumped on Atelier Rorona SE and Ar tonelico Qoga SE copies I found sitting in the new Gamestop near me.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »

There has yet to be a single Gamestop I've gone to that didn't have this game. I don't see what everyone else's problem is. Shame I don't have a PS3...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »

So I'm still playing it, I'm at around 30% event completion if I recall correctly. I'm having fun. Sure, it gets repetitive after a while, but due to the short dungeons it's a perfect game to play in short bursts, as somebody already said above. I like the cutscenes and the characters. The voice acting is the best I've heard in a JRPG in a while (I especially like Neptune's VA).
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

So I decided to get it, and so far, i'm just like "LOLWHAT". Nothing to hate about it yet though, which is always a good thing for a game that got a 3/10 on Gamespot. I think I need to play more of it, though, seeing as I've only finished a couple of dungeons thus far. Interesting concept as well, might I add.

As a side note, the copy that I bought is the only copy I've come across in any store as of this present time. Then again, that's New Zealand and their JRPGs for ya.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:06:23 PM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »

I found it new, I played the prologue today and I have to say I am happy I have it and I think i will like it.  I never played another other game from this company so its all new to me, I really like how its making fun of the whole gaming industry - but I dont get all of it yet (maybe lost in translation?)

Once I complete Rorona I will get back into this, but I am really happy I found it and even tho it may not be everyones favorite I know I have a collector item here regardless.. I am so mad at all the great games I just tossed over the years and plan on keep what I have now on bookshelves (I dont really read any have to make use of them!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: