Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:42:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341184 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Female gamers, is this industry treating you as well as you deserve?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Female gamers, is this industry treating you as well as you deserve?  (Read 3180 times)
K73SK

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

It's funny to note that this article has made my girlfriend want to buy the game now. She didn't want to before because of Duke's voice (she said it's extremely annoying and cliche), but because this article is saying that the game isn't for girl gamers...She said she wants to buy it to piss the people off. I told her no one would really know she went and bought it unless she went and put up a blog on it to which got popular to the whole world - but she said she still wants it.

Funny news article. She even laughed at this paragraph:

All of which makes it all the more mind-boggling that the company's forthcoming Duke Nukem Forever title is set to feature a multiplayer mode called "Capture the Babe", a variant on Capture the Flag in which you'll carry off a squirming young woman who, occasionally on your point-scoring trip back to base, will "freak out", requiring the administration of a slap on the buttocks to calm her down.

edit: Also want to mention that the games that I sell on the Xbox 360 Indie Games market...I try to make strategic and serious games. My girlfriend wants to design games that will get more of an audience....Which she has mentioned a few that would make this article all the worse. For example, she wants to design a game called, "Panty Raid." Not going to type the concept here, but you get the idea.

If you look at the top sellers for Indie Games marketplace, it's MOSTLY games with Zombies, 3D graphics, or chicks body parts on the front cover. For example, "Can you handle 2 of us?" Probably the worse indie game I've played, yet still has a HUGE sale base. Why? Cause there's two ugly chicks on the front cover with DD knockers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:37:58 PM by K73SK » Logged

Like Legaia? Check out my fan-site: http://www.legendoflegaia.net
Sorrows Saturn

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »

I agree that the way which women are generally portrayed in video-games is a problem, but I seriously I think Duke Nukem is a really bad example for this. The whole game is a parody of macho-men action heroes from the 80's, and it's supposed to be sexist in order to strengthen the parody. One of the creators commented on the subject saying "Of course it's sexist. That's the point."

It really doesn't make sense to rant about how sexist a game is, when the game itself is making fun of sexism.

edit: Just to clarify, I do not find the "capture the babe" mode to be amusing, and have no intention of playing it. Besides, the mode was probably made solely in order to stir up controversy and get the game some free advertising.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:01:28 PM by Sorrows Saturn » Logged
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »

edit: Just to clarify, I do not find the "capture the babe" mode to be amusing, and have no intention of playing it. Besides, the mode was probably made solely in order to stir up controversy and get the game some free advertising.

Definitely agree with this.  I don't like when things like this are done at all, but it happens quite a bit.  CTB mode is a fine example of sensationalism.  I don't support that as a way to sell a product.   I think that's what makes me more angry is I feel like it's more there for that reason than to enhance the DN joke about sexism.  

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »

Duke is an asshole, that's part of the gag.

Honestly though, I'm insulted by some of this as a male. I get the impression that some of these guys think a short skirt or huge rack will awaken my homer simpson gene and make me buy their game, or that some meat in a bikini next to a booth (which is what they are hired to be, even if they are intelligent women) will turn me into a drooling cave man who will now put my stamp of approval on whatever it is you're selling.

Taken further, and more in line with the topic, I think that THEY think they can further appeal to me in some way by insulting, demeaning, and sexualizing women. As if I'm more inlined to pay them whatever it is they are looking for (time, money, attention) if they spit in a woman's face in front of me. As if I have not progressed beyond the mentality of women as second class citizens, or as if I harbor some gender based prejudice. I personally find that very insulting.

This describes my point of view exactly.

That said, I think a more pertinent example than Duke Nukem (and perhaps one more fruitful for discussion) would be Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2; it gives you the ability to make the female characters breasts shake by shaking the controller during cut-scenes.  Now, granted, Rachel always had huge tits and was clearly intended as a stereotypical sexy and bad-ass warrior woman, but this is a lot lower than that in my opinion.  I think I may be bothered by it so much simply because it seems so childish.  Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature enjoying this feature as anything other than cheap laughs while drunk.  Yet, l can't help but suspect that it was intended for an audience who would actually 'enjoy' the feature, which comes back to MindCandy's point about how insulting it is to deal with game companies that think males are that fucking stupid.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:43:00 AM by Desert Walker » Logged
Sorrows Saturn

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »

Duke is an asshole, that's part of the gag.

Honestly though, I'm insulted by some of this as a male. I get the impression that some of these guys think a short skirt or huge rack will awaken my homer simpson gene and make me buy their game, or that some meat in a bikini next to a booth (which is what they are hired to be, even if they are intelligent women) will turn me into a drooling cave man who will now put my stamp of approval on whatever it is you're selling.

Taken further, and more in line with the topic, I think that THEY think they can further appeal to me in some way by insulting, demeaning, and sexualizing women. As if I'm more inlined to pay them whatever it is they are looking for (time, money, attention) if they spit in a woman's face in front of me. As if I have not progressed beyond the mentality of women as second class citizens, or as if I harbor some gender based prejudice. I personally find that very insulting.

This describes my point of view exactly.

That said, I think a more pertinent example than Duke Nukem (and perhaps one more fruitful for discussion) would be Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2; it gives you the ability to make the female characters breasts shake by shaking the controller during cut-scenes.  Now, granted, Rachel always had huge tits and was clearly intended as a stereotypical sexy and bad-ass warrior woman, but this is a lot lower than that in my opinion.  I think I may be bothered by it so much simply because it seems so childish.  Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature enjoying this feature as anything other than cheap laughs while drunk.  Yet, l can't help but suspect that it was intended for an audience who would actually 'enjoy' the feature, which comes back to MindCandy's point about how insulting it is to deal with game companies that think males are that fucking stupid.

Anyone attracted to women and have a breast fetish (like me) enjoy the feature. But only for a minute. Than it's just stupid.
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:18 AM »

I think it promotes a very superficial way of what makes a good, interesting female character. It's not about what the female characters do, what their motivations are or anything like that. It's mostly about how much cleavage is or isn't showing.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think this part is a little unfair. It's not that characters with little clothing can't be interesting. If you read her articles about Yuna and Lightning...https://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/lightning-is-awesome-i-just-wish-she-was-wearing-pants/

http://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/yuna-yes-i-liked-x-2-suck-it-up-and-deal-possible-spoiler-warning/
I think she makes it pretty clear what makes a good, interesting female character.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:07:20 AM by Vaporeon » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 06:42:13 AM »

And I honestly don't get her obsession with whether female characters wear pants or not. Maybe Lightning likes not wearing pants and just doesn't give a shit about how the other characters feel about that? If so, more power to her. It shouldn't always be about what men like or don't like.

RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »

Sure we could think that way if Lightning was a human, but she's made by a guy with his fantasies and thoughts.

I come in peace :)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »

Sure we could think that way if Lightning was a human, but she's made by a guy with his fantasies and thoughts.

And all men are perverts and would never attempt to create female characters who are more than material for a sexy PVC-statue.

I admit I don't know Lightning very well. I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy XIII afterall. She did strike me as the type of woman who just doesn't care that men might look at her that way. And why should she? She isn't interested in them and if someone bothered her, she could easily kick their ass.

Of course, it would be a whole different story if she was constantly providing fanservice to the player but she isn't.
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »

^
I wasn't really bothered by how Lightning was portrayed but was more replying to what you was saying, of a character having a personality and likes showing skin or doesn't care. Lightning was fine and I like her in the game.

In general though, it is hard to think that she prefers wearing short skirts because she likes that when she was created by someone. Which is also in general with all female characters.

I come in peace :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: