Author Topic: Okamiden

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
Okamiden
« on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
Why, oh WHY is there not already a topic for this game?

I picked it up the other day, and I was floored, and 4 days later, I'm still floored. It makes me extremely happy and extremely angry at the same time. First off, not only is it, bar none, the best looking game on the DS, but I can't get over how little graphical difference there is between it's PS2 big brother. I have to look really close to notice anything. It controls well, and just feels great.

Why does it make me angry? Because after loads of cookie cutter satellite view 3D games, Capcom suddenly reveals the hidden power of the DS at the very end of it's life. Okamiden makes me feel cheated for all those crappy 3D RPGs I've played!

One other sidenote is the curious distinction as to whether this is an original game or a remake. I got it thinking it was going to be a completely new game, but the direction it chose to take makes it feel a bit more like an extremely revised remake. I think the best parallel would be Metroid to Super Metroid. It's still completely fresh with new dungeons, characters, story, and gameplay dynamics, but you revisit all the same villages and overworld regions, and in the same order. It's a curious choice, one that obviously didn't save Capcom much money on development, because everything had to be rebuilt from scratch and the story is different, but it's obvious that they're playing on the nostalgia from the first game.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Okamiden
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »
I know that my boyfriend is having an absolute blast on this game, so I was surprised there wasn't a thread for it. I've not played it though so I can't comment beyond that.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »
I was actually going to buy a DS just so I could play it but I have enough to occupy my attention right now...and no money:/  A friend of mine is getting it though so I'll just borrow her copy sometime. Looks great.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
I preordered this game from the Capcom store a while back so that I could get an adorable Chibiterasu plush with it, but honestly I haven't even cracked the shrinkwrap yet.  Too many games vying for my attention at the moment.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
This game is not really a sequel, is more of a "tribute" to the original game (you can even call it a sequel with severe case of feeling like a spin-off too). And almost none of the original staff that made Okami work on Okamiden.

All things considered though, it seems like a really good game. But sadly I've never found a copy of Okami at a good price for my PS2 (the Wii version is kinda borked) and because of that I'm gonna lose a lot of the magic that Okamiden is suppose to bring to the player.

Maybe I should buy Okamiden as soon as I can before it gets really difficult to find a copy of the game on stores.

Prime Mover

• View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »
Yeah, gotta admit, the Wii version, now looking back at it, had some really major problems. The most major one, I thought, got the least amount of attention. They screwed up the transparent overlay on the text at the bottom of the screen, so much of the time, the text was practically unreadable. It made for tons of eye strain. Also, certain brush strokes were really terrible, and unfortunately, one of them was "bloom", probably the second-most used one in the game. It often misread it as "wind". I loaned my PS2 version to a friend long-term, but I don't think he's played it. I'm going to want it back. Next time I'll play it, it will be the PS2 version. The ONLY improvement was the wide screen. Also, the graphics are sharper and anti-aliased, which is actually hit or miss. The anti-aliasing was definitely an improvement, but the sharpening also made it look more cartoony and less "watercolory", which was a minus. Definitely play the PS2 version.

That said, does Okamiden stand on its own? Absolutely. Though I'm only a few hours in, and it may be that some of the big plot twists revolve around tie-ins from the other game (like who the hell is Chibi's father?). However, I would hardly call this game a spin-off. It can wear it's "sequel" badge loud and proud. It's probably the least "handheld-feeling" game I've ever played on a handheld. I often find myself forgetting that it's on a different system than the original. It does a really good job tying into the original game with the characters and story.

I have mixed feelings about it reusing the same immediate game world. They kinda painted themselves into a corner with the first game (no pun intended), by creating a chibi Japan that was, though incredibly small compared to the real country, complete. So the sequel's choices were to have it take place somewhere else, but since the style is so incredibly drenched in Japanese artistic and mythological history, that's practically out of the question. They could have made it take place in some sort of mythological world (like a realm of the Gods or underworld), but that would have completely changed the nature of the game. So I can at least understand why they decided to keep the same locales. However, it is very strange that they decided to do them in exactly the same order.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
I think the best parallel would be Metroid to Super Metroid.

No, probably FFX-2, though I can't recall exactly where that was said. Environments at least, Super Metroid was such a huge leap (and used so little from the original game in practice) whereas Okamiden's more of a second visit and to see how the place changed in the 9 months since, reusing a lot of the old places either exactly or so close it may as well be exactly. Much like FFX-2! I hear it changes more significantly later on, but by then the game'd be nearly done anyway.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
I have mixed feelings about it reusing the same immediate game world. They kinda painted themselves into a corner with the first game (no pun intended), by creating a chibi Japan that was, though incredibly small compared to the real country, complete. So the sequel's choices were to have it take place somewhere else, but since the style is so incredibly drenched in Japanese artistic and mythological history, that's practically out of the question. They could have made it take place in some sort of mythological world (like a realm of the Gods or underworld), but that would have completely changed the nature of the game. So I can at least understand why they decided to keep the same locales. However, it is very strange that they decided to do them in exactly the same order.

I'm right near the end, and what you mentioned here ie exactly what ruined it for me. They tried to make it too much like the first one, and it's simply not as good. They should have done a bigger time gap in the two stories and gone for a whole different area of Japan. Making them cover the same areas forces me to draw comparisons and, of course, the PS2 version comes out on top, mostly just for technological reasons.

I'm hoping to finish it off today and am not sure whether or not I'll be hanging onto it yet.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:38:51 AM »
It will take you somewhere between 15-20 depending on how many secrets you go hunting for along the way

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:31 AM »
I remember finishing Okami around 30 hours. I didn't go after all the secrets or anything, but 40-45 seems like a lot of extra time.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
I remember finishing Okami around 30 hours. I didn't go after all the secrets or anything, but 40-45 seems like a lot of extra time.

You'd be surprised at how much time you can blow hunting secrets!

everluck

• stay positive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »
Just chiming in to say: yes, this game is awesome, and deserves to be bought by the boat load.
[/url]

Prime Mover

• View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »

Oh wow, my final time was I think closer to 75. However, I think I really took my time because I loved the environment so much. I think I did pretty much all the sidequests and secrets. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
I'm right near the end, and what you mentioned here ie exactly what ruined it for me. They tried to make it too much like the first one, and it's simply not as good. They should have done a bigger time gap in the two stories and gone for a whole different area of Japan. Making them cover the same areas forces me to draw comparisons and, of course, the PS2 version comes out on top, mostly just for technological reasons.

I'm hoping to finish it off today and am not sure whether or not I'll be hanging onto it yet.

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands after you're done if you decide to part with it.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
I have this game

do I need to play the first one before it?