Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329357 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shadow Heart: From the New World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Shadow Heart: From the New World  (Read 31563 times)
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Well, after reading all these impressions, it doesn't sound that great. Lifeless characters is a horrible thing to have in any RPG, probably why I don't like SH1 that much, since none of the characters were particularly great.

Lifeless characters? I don't know what some of you are talking about. I also liked SH1's characters. If there's anything wrong with the series, it's not the characters, IMO.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2006, 04:08:57 PM »

If daschrier thought the characters of SH were lifeless, he'd definitely think the characters of SH:FtNW are lifeless.  Although I like a lot of what the series tries to do, characterization on the whole isn't one of its strengths.  SH was probably the best and it's only gone downhill from there.  There are still a couple characters that are pretty interesting past the first SH, but not enough was done for the "unimportant" characters for my taste.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2006, 04:12:39 PM »

Dude, the only lifeless character in SH1 was maybe Zhuzhen. And he was old and gay.

Shadow Hearts 2: Least lifeless characters in a game to date.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2006, 04:42:17 PM »

I liked the characters in SH:C a lot, aside from maybe Lucia. In SH one, Keith....he basically serves no purpose other than for the fact that he's bored. Margarette had potential, but all you really know is that she's a spy for some reason, oh and that she likes Yuri, if you trigger that side quest. Zuzhen had a decent amount of story, but again was pretty undeveloped. Halley had potential, but was basically a kid with strange powers trying to save his mom. They introduced that part of the game far to late to give him any development.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »

I found that both SH and SH:C's casts of party members were lacking in how relevant they were on a whole to their respective game. While they could be entertaining, outside of the two core characters they usually just felt like they were there for the sake of giving you more characters to use.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »

I thought the characters were far from lifeless. Sure, they had no incentive to stay in the party, but there's a difference between that, and 'lifeless' characterization.

Joachim in SH: C is a good example. He really had no reason to stay in the party up to the end of the game, but he has way more interesting personality than say, Zhuzhen from SH1. Who had more of a reason to join, but he was rather... 'blah'. :P

EDIT:
From that 1-Up review that Eus linked to...
and its soundtrack features one of the worst scores to grace the genre on the PS2.

Either this is one of the biggest exaggerations I've ever heard, or this person's standards are too fucking high.

Or hell, maybe it's both. :P

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2006, 05:50:55 PM »

Quote from: "Dizzy"

and its soundtrack features one of the worst scores to grace the genre on the PS2.

Either this is one of the biggest exaggerations I've ever heard, or this person's standards are too fucking high.

Or hell, maybe it's both. :P

I must have read that review too quickly, I didn't see that.  Even if you aren't a fan of jazz or whatnot, I really, really don't know how you can say it's one of the worst scores ever for PS2.  Musical taste differs from person to person, but I really don't know how anyone could think this is the one of the worst.  Maybe he's going deaf or something. :p

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »

Most of the tracks are excellent. My favorite ones are those playing in battles. I like the music playing in the university and in the dungeon too.

I noticed that the few tracks I didnít like was composed by Tomoko Imoto;

129 Pirates of the Caribbean
128 Sneaking Heart
130 By A Mustache Hair.mp3

Those tracks arenít exactly bad, but out of context in SH. I would have probably liked them if they were in a game produced by Rare Ware.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2006, 12:34:52 AM »

The irony with Tomoko Imoto is that even though some of the worst tracks on the soundtrack are from her (including the ones you listed), some of the best are from her as well.  I'm listening to The Wheel of Fortune right now, hehe. :P

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2006, 01:47:13 PM »

Ok my thoughts

So far I love the game, I enjoyed SH and SH:C.  So far I'm liking SH:C more but then again I'm still pretty early in the game.  

Gameplay is the same and I like it, graphics are great(I wish it would support 480p), and the voice acting is decent(it could be better but oh well).  The characters so far are likable, I myself would prefer Shania being the main char since she's pretty damn cool, but I understand them making Johnny the main char(since kinda an RPG cliche idealist young boy).  Settings, its pretty hard to do a "dark"(SH dark) setting in the US in the 20's since everything was so "new" in America, they could have used those mystery cults that were popular in the 20(see the comic The Sandman for a reference) but those i beleive were almost always in europe, or they could have used the masons, but that might have lead to controversy.  I beleive this SH will have its own unique charm to it in the long run.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
TSG

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »

Managed to get in a night's play before my TV died.

Good game. Very nice indeed, and surprisingly hard. Characters are good though the voice acting really isn't up to SH2; also the big indian dude is boring as hell. Sorry.

It's great that the main character's a weak wussy, though. I like that touch.

SO MUCH FANSERVICE

-- TSG
Staff Reviewer
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2006, 07:03:43 PM »

I'm not so sure about it yet but I think that I'm at the very end of the game - 30 hours of gameplay. Happily the game got back to a serious mood after the few horrible events I described earlier. No more big cat interruption, no more cartoonish events :D

At the end the story is getting very engrossing.

I like Johnny very much as a lead. I love his style, I think it's adding something unique to a RPG. His background story is very nice too. He and Shania are making a duo of lead characters imo. the other characters are more like support characters - that's fine because I didn't want to hear more about Master Meow :P
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2006, 08:43:44 PM »

Shania would be boring as a main character. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Johnny has more going for him, IMO.

Shania makes me wish more and more for gratuitous nudity in RPG's. God she's hot.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2006, 09:23:20 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
Shania makes me wish more and more for gratuitous nudity in RPG's. God she's hot.

You could always just watch the transformation FMVs over and over again :P

I agree that Shania would be an incredibly boring main character. Sure, she's good in battle and all, but her reason for going after Lady is mediocre at best, and she lacks any kind of character depth. That's not too say that I think Johnny is a very good main character either. For the most part he's just yet another clueless teenager type, albeit with a somewhat interesting backstory.

I must also comment on the music:
Those who think it's bad are insane. There is one of two tracks I don't care for (the New York music, specifically), but the majority of the tracks are great. I found myself standing still for several minutes at more than one point in the game, just listening to the music.

I'm at the end of the game now, and I'm a bit disappointed that it's so short. If you skip all the sidequests (which, well, you shouldn't, but anyway) you can get to the final dungeon in less than 20 hours. I got there at 22 hours, but have spent a good five-six hours just completing sidequests. Will tackle the final boss tomorrow.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2006, 11:06:13 PM »

Just finished the game, at 42 hours. That's with the sidequests, and maybe spending a few minutes here and there staring at the different camera angles of La Sirene. God damn, she is my favourite Fusion to look at. <3

Addendum: I really liked the second half of the game's story (From Uyuni Salt Lake, up to the end of the game).

EDIT:

Code:
Johnny's 'Release' Ability is fucking bad-ass.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: