Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327435 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shadow Heart: From the New World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Shadow Heart: From the New World  (Read 31081 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2006, 03:36:12 PM »

Quote from: "Thanatos01s2"
I just got my PSM today in the mail and the dumb bitch only gave the game an 8/10.

I don't like doing this shit most of the time, but you good sir just proved Bogatyr right: You ARE a stupid fanboy. Probably not homosexual though, but hell if I know what you're into. :P

Edit: Then you go and edit the post. I have to read it for myself (might just be a random complaint), but I still think that if your random niche game managed to get an 8/10, the last thing you should do is go 'They're idiots'.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2006, 03:39:39 PM »

8/10 sounds like a pretty good score if you ask me. And, er, how do you know it isn't a fair score if you haven't even played the game yet?

Reminds me of how some Half-Life communities went absolutely apeshit over  reviews that didn't give Half-Life 2 perfect scores and proclaimed it the Greatest Game Ever. Even when they, the fans, hadn't had any chance to try the game themselves, and thus couldn't really judge wether the score was justified or not.

Besides - if you know that the game is going to be great anyway, why do you care about what score a magazine gives it? Do you need them to justify your opinion? If not, then what other reason do you have to get upset?

Edit: Meh, what Eusis said about your edit
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »

I just got my PSM today in the mail and the dumb bitch only gave the game an 8/10.  I usually never agree with PSM and their reviewers.  For the original Shadow hearts review, they only gave it a 6.5 or a 7.  They are idiots.  Just thought I would put that out there.

Edit: the reason her review pissed me off was the only reason she graded it down was because Yuri wasn't in it.  It was a poorly done review, it seemed like she didn't grade the game itself, but she just was mad that it was a new story and that is how she graded it.

???  

If the following is the review, frankly I don't see why you're so pissed off about it:

Shadow Hearts: FtNW takes the RPG series in a new direction, ditching the cast of characters and Euro-Asian tour of the past 2 chapters in favor of a completely westernized jaunt. As quirky as the new characters may be, they don't feel as memorable or well integrated as a group as those in past SH episodes.
Each of their side-missions and stories are welcome chances to develop them further, but you can't help but want to see more about each and every one of them.
The return of SH's trade mark humor is accompanied by the return of the excellent Judgement Ring battle system as well, and for those who thought Covenant was to easy, dont mistake FtNW as from the same school of pushovers: boss fights can be grueling, and if you're not prepared, they can go on for a long time. This adds to the challenge and puts a good spit-shine polish on a very solid(if a bit straight-forward) gameplay experience.

Double Attack
+Likable characters,lots to see,fight,and collect; good localization.

Missed
- New Cast, while likable, feels disjointed; story not as memorable.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
Missed

... Yeah. See, now you just went and twisted the truth, Thanatos; a complaint about the new cast being not as solid as the old cast /is/ a valid complaint to me. There were probably other problems that kept it down too, or it just wasn't quite worthy of a 9 outside of the cast.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2006, 04:06:40 PM »

Well, it does feel a bit like an odd complaint to make, at least if she's comparing it to Covenant. I mean, in that game you had a pupeteer, a 9 year old russian princess, a pro-wrestling vampire and a semi-talking dog as party members. Not really the most cohesive of casts of characters ever put together in a game. :P

Edit: Not saying that's a bad thing. The odd mix of characters was one of the things I really loved about Covenant, and I'm extremely pleased to hear that they're keeping it up for From The New World.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

8/10 is a good score, and the review itself doesn't sound all that bad at all.

I don't see what the problem is here. :P

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2006, 06:45:54 PM »

Yeah, no doubt, 8/10 is a fine score. Seems like PSM gave the game a fair review AND put much time into the game. Not like some review mags that play an RPG for like 4 hours, decide they don't like it, and do a write-up.

I liked the PSM review myself. :)

Ramza

Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2006, 08:53:02 PM »

I don't know if it is just me, but that seems like a very short review for a magazine.  Usually, reviews go into how the battle system has changed, how deep and strong the storyline was, if the music added to the experience or detracted, etc.  I usually see all the aspects of the game reviewed rather than just briefly going over the game.  That review seemed more like an mini overview.  But that might just have been me. . .

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »

Just commenting off the PSM review:

That's a damn high score for an RPG from them. In the past 10 issues or so, I haven't seen a single RPG that got higher than a 7.5 (which was giving to Tales of Legendia) other than Dragon Quest (because everyone is biased towards SE I guess...).
Thanatos01s2
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2006, 10:13:48 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Ryos"
Missed

... Yeah. See, now you just went and twisted the truth, Thanatos; a complaint about the new cast being not as solid as the old cast /is/ a valid complaint to me. There were probably other problems that kept it down too, or it just wasn't quite worthy of a 9 outside of the cast.

The reviewer took a new game and new storyline and compared it to a perfect 10 game. She basically said, well compared to covenant I will give this game an 8.  A review should not be done that way.  It should be based off of the game itself, of course it fails in comparison to SH:C, that games story and characters were developed over two entire games. (about 120 hours of gameplay)

I was just pissed that it appeared that her biggest complaint was that there was a new cast and also that the review only got a quarter of a page review.  I'll admit it was a fanboy rant.

I

I'll probably be banned in 3...2...1...

Sayonara retaado-chan. ^________^
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2006, 10:38:49 PM »

The reviewer took a new game and new storyline and compared it to a perfect 10 game. She basically said, well compared to covenant I will give this game an 8.  A review should not be done that way.  It should be based off of the game itself, of course it fails in comparison to SH:C, that games story and characters were developed over two entire games. (about 120 hours of gameplay)

I was just pissed that it appeared that her biggest complaint was that there was a new cast and also that the review only got a quarter of a page review.  I'll admit it was a fanboy rant.

Why the hell shouldn't they compare a new game in a series to it's previous installments? You need to know how they've improved it/made it worse, and the only thing better than other installments in the same series are other games in the same genre. It also gives me an easier idea of what to expect from the game when I've played the previous installments. In fact, virtually /all/ reviews are done ultimately on how good something is relatively; without any other games out there, something like 25 to Life would be a masterpiece.

And she never said she was uspet that there was a new cast, she was upset the new cast didn't compare to the old, a reasonable critique. Oh, and I took 30-ish hours for me to beat SH1 /with/ all the side stuff done, and 40 for SH:C without much of it touched. Hardly 120 hours of gameplay there.

Edit: Man, I need to get used to the differences between Invision and PHPBB. :P

Edit 2: I do have to admit, however, that the review was a bit too brief. This works for something like EGM with multiple opinions presented (and even then, they seem to run longer than that), but it's nice to have more than the most basic idea of a game in a review. Doesn't have to explain it in depth; it's more fun to discover as you go along anyway, but I need enough to make an informed purchase.

Edit 3: I had to look at GameRankings and see that it was SH:C that got a 10/10 from PSM. Well, whatever. Note though that someone like GameSpot will give MGS2 a 9.6, then give the sequel 8.something. :P
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 03:42:09 AM »

the great day has finally comes :D

Let's hope the game won't be late at the stores in the nearby!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 03:51:40 AM »

Comparing games to previous titles in the same series is almost a must when it comes to games of any genre.  While it's important to extol on the virtues of a game, it's also important for there to be a benchmark set aside from score.  It seems like you're more angry about the score than the review itself.  When I reviewed Digital Devil Saga 2, a direct sequel, it was important to draw parallels as to what was different and what was the same - if I had simply reviewed it as a standalone game, it wouldn't have been nearly as insightful as the review was written in the end.

You also have to consider the audience of a magazine vs the audience of a site like RPGFan.  The average person coming to our site is going to have some knowledge of RPGs and will want to play them.  The average reader of PSM or GameSpot or IGN may have no interest whatsoever in playing a turn based title, and the reviews and scores tend to reflect the audience.

I'm sure there's some mainstream genre that you don't like, that's par for the course for someone who posts here.  While you might shake your head and say "How did Winning Eleven 9 get an eleventy billion out of 10?", there's going to be at least 10 guys going "Why did an RPG get anything higher than 5/10?  This turn based shit sucks."  Believe it or not, RPGs are still a very niche genre in America if the name on the packaging isn't Square Enix or Konami.  Even then, things slip straight through the cracks (Romancing SaGa, Ys: Ark, etc).

Get over yourself.  You've not even played the game yet and yet you're insulting someone for their opinion over the game?  Let me be totally honest with you: if I had been the reviewer instead of Pat, It would've gotten somewhere between a 78 and an 83.  Am I "a dumb bitch"?

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2006, 04:22:31 AM »

i played the shadow heart 2 and i have to says it was petter good.....
i love the story ....do u think that shadow heart 3 have any thing to do with the story line of shadow heart 2.?

god is god
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 05:22:43 AM »

Quote from: "arizlaan"
i played the shadow heart 2 and i have to says it was petter good.....
i love the story ....do u think that shadow heart 3 have any thing to do with the story line of shadow heart 2.?

Screw 'do I think'. I KNOW it'll barely have anything to do with it. Also, this might be informative.

Edit: Also, I tend to think the magazines (outside of maybe Game Informer, I need to see more of their scores) and sites tend to be unbiased with genres on a whole, at least nowadays; the great action, sports, and RPGs alike will get 8s and 9s, while the crappy ones... Well, they'll get crappy scores.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: