Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 10:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338670 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shadow Heart: From the New World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Shadow Heart: From the New World  (Read 33219 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2006, 08:48:18 AM »

Quote from: "Thanatos01s2"
I just got my PSM today in the mail and the dumb bitch only gave the game an 8/10.

You sound like one of those dumbshits that flamed me for my Baten Katios or Tales of Legendia review.

Get a life.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2006, 10:53:45 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Let me be totally honest with you: if I had been the reviewer instead of Pat, It would've gotten somewhere between a 78 and an 83.  Am I "a dumb bitch"?

If the ten or twelve people who wrote in to the Mailbag about your DDS2 review are to believed:  yes, yes you are. :P

Ash, did you give Baten Kaitos a good score or something? :P  That's the only thing I'd be driven to bitch about regarding that game.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2006, 01:09:59 PM »

LOL, this is why you don't get hung up on ratings in reviews.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »

I read reviews, but could care less about the scores. Esepecially for big name games like Fable. The only score that fits is the one here at rpgfan. Every other review site talked about all these flaws, then slaps a 9/10 on it. WTF is that.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"

Lol, that's pretty funny.  I wonder if that Reviewer even realized what he was saying or if he just was paid to type that opinion. . .

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »

Maybe it's me being muddle-headed from being sick, but I don't get it. -__-;
Thanatos01s2
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2006, 03:33:58 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"

Maybe it's me being muddle-headed from being sick, but I don't get it. -__-;

I don't get it either.  I am with you.

I'll probably be banned in 3...2...1...

Sayonara retaado-chan. ^________^
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2006, 04:04:06 PM »

Said "review" raises 2 points.  First, 95/100 sounds like a good score.  But then if you investigate the rest of the site's ratings, you'll realize there are very few games that hit below 85...in other words, rating inflation at its finest.  Secondly, and more importantly, the reviewer is so blatantly hyping the game that it hardly seems like a critical review so much as a fanboy's outpouring of praise.  These are why it's important to judge a review by the content of the review and not the rating - more often than not the ratings are completely arbitrary.  You can agree or disagree with a reviewer's opinion, but is the review itself sound?

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Thanatos01s2
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »

These are why it's important to judge a review by the content of the review and not the rating - more often than not the ratings are completely arbitrary.

Oh I get it, you mean like I did, and got majorly flamed for doing so?

Some of you guys are such hypocrites.  I said PSM gave too weak of a review and it got a "high ranking" (8).  But it is okay to break down a review that gives too strong of a high rank. That is so typical.

I dislike fanboysism too, but wow you guys take it to a whole new level here, even though this site is, ya know, made for RPG fanboys.  It is ok to be a fanboy of RPG's, but it is not ok to be a fanboy of a particular game.  Got it, I'll never forget! OMGZORZ NO MRE FaNboyZm, UnelSS I dvoT a HolE SiTe 2 JsT tHat.

Edit: Give me a fuckin break, everybody is a fanboy of something.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »

Dude, did you read the review? I'm surprised this guy was able to review the game with the dick shoved so far down his throat.

Inflated reviews = bad
calling a reviewer a douche bag cause they give a fair score (8) = fucking retarded.

You...are fucking retarded.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »

Some of you guys are such hypocrites.  I said PSM gave too weak of a review and it got a "high ranking" (8).

No.  No, you didn't.  You said:

I just got my PSM today in the mail and the dumb bitch only gave the game an 8/10. I usually never agree with PSM and their reviewers. For the original Shadow hearts review, they only gave it a 6.5 or a 7. They are idiots. Just thought I would put that out there.

The reason her review pissed me off was the only reason she graded it down was because Yuri wasn't in it. It was a poorly done review, it seemed like she didn't grade the game itself, but she just was mad that it was a new story and that is how she graded it.

She mentioned nothing about Yuri in the review, but did mention how the new cast wasn't as strong as the old cast, which is a completely valid complaint.  I don't believe the cast is nearly as strong as Covenant's.  I disliked Johnny, didn't think much of anything of Natan, thought Mao was useless and flat out didn't care about anyone but Frank, and even he wasn't that great.  While XSEED's translation is top-notch, I never once felt attached to the characters.

The writing style of a print-magazine review is going to be far different than an online review, specifically because of space.  I never had more than 500 words to work with in reviews of any kind when I wrote for the UNLV paper, but my RPGFan reviews regularly exceed 1500 words.  When a title doesn't have a large imprint on the industry, the review is going to be much more concise.  I think that the review is just fine, she touched on the major points (increased difficulty, new setting, changed cast) that the reader of a magazine is going to care about.  Again, consider your audience.  Don't you remember English 101?

I think you're also confusing quite a bit between a 'fan' and a 'fanboy'.

We'll use Urban Dictionary to compare.

Fan: A person who has interest or likes something, or somebody. Can refer to many things including sports, movie stars, food/drink and so on. Basically anybody that likes something.

Fanboy: A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces.

Now, as much as I enjoy RPGs, I don't believe I'm a fanboy to the genre - there are far more RPGs that I dislike than there are games that I really enjoy.  If you could call me a fanboy to anything, it would be to Firaxis games, which I buy the day they're released, regardless of reviews or other information about the game.  Now, if the site were called "RPGFanBoy", I might be inclined to agree.  Not in this case, however.

For a game that you haven't even played, you certainly are defending the cast quite a bit.  Your original, unedited post was nothing more than anger over something you haven't had any hands-on experience with, and even your edit made little sense with the initial comment.  'She gave it an 8, the dumb bitch' and 'oh, well, she's just mad about the new cast' when the new cast is a valid issue in regards to the title don't back each other up.

Remember, an argument is a conclusion plus reasons.  An opinion is simply a conclusion.  You have to remember that your reasons have to be relevant to your argument.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »

Some of you guys are such hypocrites.  I said PSM gave too weak of a review and it got a "high ranking" (8).  But it is okay to break down a review that gives too strong of a high rank. That is so typical.

Oh really? Here, let me quote you.
I just got my PSM today in the mail and the dumb bitch only gave the game an 8/10.

The very first line you said about this bullshit, and to me, that just shows you're pissy the new installment in your favorite series didn't get a higher score. Your attempts to point out 'what was wrong', outside of being too short, were weak anyway. You twisted what the reviewer said, and was upset it was compared to Covenant despite the fact that it's /needed/ for a review, as others like KeeperX noted.

And don't pull that 'I'm being discriminated against for liking series X' card either, your behavior would be obnoxious with anything from Final Fantasy to Shin Megami Tensei. I don't mind fanboyism, I just mind being an idiot about it, and when you're attacking people over not liking the humor or trying to dismantle a review for bullshit reasons, you count as being a /stupid/ fanboy.

As for the second review: Haven't given it a good look, so that can go either way.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 05:21:13 AM »

Whatís the purpose of quarrelling? Is loving RPGs some kind of religion? :P

Some may love the game, and some may dislike it. Itís only a question of taste. Thatís all.

For my part I just enjoy a game according to my personal tastes and I donít mind at all if nobody else enjoyed it except me. We're all unique and different, so it's evident we won't share the same tastes about games.
Thanatos01s2
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"
Whatís the purpose of quarrelling? Is loving RPGs some kind of religion? :P

Some may love the game, and some may dislike it. Itís only a question of taste. Thatís all.

For my part I just enjoy a game according to my personal tastes and I donít mind at all if nobody else enjoyed it except me. We're all unique and different, so it's evident we won't share the same tastes about games.

Amen

Lets just leave this ridiculous argument alone and end it here.

Back to talking about SH, did anybody pick it up yet?

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

Lets just leave this ridiculous argument alone and end it here.

I believe what you are trying to say is "I can't think of anything to back up what I said so let's drop it."

Whatever's cool with you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: