Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shadow Heart: From the New World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Shadow Heart: From the New World  (Read 32648 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2006, 06:21:15 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Half an hour? I don't think any boss battle in From The New World lasted longer than 15 minutes for me, not even the final one. What levels are your characters at?

Nearly 1 hour to be exact. But most of the time I was resurrecting dead characters and trying to heal them, and each time I was getting better the boss drove me crazy attacks. Thatís why I was extremely angry to lose the battle.

The bad thing when you resurrect a character he don't have anymore status improvements (barrier, rage, shield, etc)

I'm at level 40, the boss is Malice Gilbert. I will try to gain 5 more levels...
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2006, 06:26:13 PM »

I tend to think you're underleveled based on your description of the battle length.  The longest the battles ever really got for me was around twenty minutes tops, and this was usually figuring out the trick to an encounter, not taking advantage of combo overkills, etc.  At your point side quests are open, if you're having that much trouble with the boss, go backtrack to one of those or something.  Since he's nothing compared to the "brick wall" at the end of the game.  I've played games before where there's a boss that takes a ridiculously long time to kill (hello there Xenosaga episode II), this isn't really one of them.  If you prepare and not hurry, I mean. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »

Hrm. I think I was around level 44 or so when I fought him. Did you do most of the character specific sidequests (the ones that opens up new areas to explore)? I leveled up a fair bit during them, and beating Gilbert and the final boss at level 40 without the best armour/weapons for your chars will probably be pretty tough, even if it shouldn't be impossible. It's too late to go back for you now, though, as you lose the ability to leave the final area after beating the first boss there. Unless you have a back-up save just before that, that is.

If I were you I'd probably run around for a bit and try to powerlevel, if you can't beat Gilbert using conventional tactics.

Edited to add: I actually thought Gilbert was a tougher fight than the final boss, because there there's a really easy way to more or less completely avoid the enemy's most devastating attacks in that case.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »

I have a question, but please be careful not to reveal important spoilers, I just want to know if I'm in the last stage of the game. It seems to me it will be already the end...
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2006, 06:33:51 PM »

Short answer:
Yes, you are :)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"
I have a question, but please be careful not to reveal important spoilers, I just want to know if I'm in the last stage of the game. It seems to me it will be already the end...

I guess that answers your question:
It's too late to go back for you now, though, as you lose the ability to leave the final area after beating the first boss there. Unless you have a back-up save just before that, that is.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »

It's too late to go back for you now, though, as you lose the ability to leave the final area after beating the first boss there.

I don't believe there's a point of no return in FtNW.  Incredibly minor spoiler:
Code:
You can march right in, grab the monk earrings in front of the first tree, then march right out and take advantage of +20% exp in every battle.
 Since levels are the problem, that might be helpful. :P

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
I don't believe there's a point of no return in FtNW.  You can march right in, grab the monk earrings, then march right out and take advantage of +20% exp in every battle.  Since levels are the problem, that might be helpful. :P

Er, really? I though you lost the ability to go back after you
Code:
beat Killer and enter The Gate.
I could most certainly be wrong, though, but as "time is of the essence", it really doesn't make sense if you could to back at that point :o
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2006, 06:42:19 PM »

Er, really? I though you lost the ability to go back after you
Code:
beat Killer and enter The Gate.

I just tried it out at the final save point.  You can always leave. :p

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2006, 06:50:22 PM »

Dangit, now I regret saving over my save at the final savepoint with cleared game data. Could've used all that Soul Energy I had got to finish the Shania sidequest.  :/
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2006, 03:43:37 PM »

It's not so much being underlevelled as being unprepared.  For example if you don't have the proper accessories to defend from an attack you're going to waste turns healing, and therefor with the extra attacks the boss gets in, extra time resurrecting and curing (not to mention SP restoring because of all the turns used).  However unless you read a FAQ before every boss, how are you supposed to know how to prepare for them without getting a good feel for their strategy?

I just fought a sidequest boss, and was doing absolutely fine.  After I got her HP down to half she used a spell to petrify all my characters in one turn, which results in a game over (how cheap is that?).  So now I have to de-equip 1 set of status preventing accessories for another, and repeat the tedious battle over again.

In most games I look forward to the challenge of a boss battle.  In this one I cringe every time.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »

This is not really a "problem" exclusive to From The New World, though. Many RPGs do that, and it's not unusual that the first time you fight a boss it'll come down to luck wether you win or not. I personally have no problems with losing a battle and then readjusting my tactics. That being said, I only remember this happening to me once in the game - and that was exactly against that sidequest boss.

And in FTNW there are several ways to avoid status ailments. Not only are there several items that protect against more than one status effect (there's even an item that protects you against all status and ring effects - comparable to Ribbons in the Final Fantas games), Ricoardo also has a Serenade that will protect the rest of the party form all negative effects for a number of turns.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »

This is not really a "problem" exclusive to From The New World, though. Many RPGs do that, and it's not unusual that the first time you fight a boss it'll come down to luck wether you win or not. I personally have no problems with losing a battle and then readjusting my tactics. That being said, I only remember this happening to me once in the game - and that was exactly against that sidequest boss.

And in FTNW there are several ways to avoid status ailments. Not only are there several items that protect against more than one status effect (there's even an item that protects you against all status and ring effects - comparable to Ribbons in the Final Fantas games), Ricoardo also has a Serenade that will protect the rest of the party form all negative effects for a number of turns.

It's not exclusive to RPG's, but with the way this game it set up it drags battles and makes them excessively long.  Therefor unlike most RPG's where you get whiped by the boss within the first few minutes, it can take 20-30 minutes before you understand the tactics enough to re-adjust (e.g. not using the petrify attack until I get the HP well into the yellow).  I normally don't mind getting a feel for a boss either, but I don't enjoy ultimately spending 40-50 minutes on a boss because I had to fight it twice.

As for crucifixes, I've only come across the one now (after defeating the boss I've talked about).  Other items are fine, if you know which ones to equip.  Yes there are items like the cosmic bracelet that protect against several different type of ailments, however they do nothing for things like petrify, instant death, SP lowering, etc.

I'm glad you haven't had many problems with bosses in the game.  I, on the other hand, am not having such luck.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2006, 05:48:20 PM »

Status effects are unusually brutal in this game in terms of their success.  When there's a status effect that targets the party, almost always this ends up affecting everyone (those all party petrification spells are just a joy :|).  When it's a single target, almost aways that person will end up walking the plank.  This isn't the case with accessories or a very specific character ability constantly used, but all the same having the right setup for a specific boss is the difference between a ridiculously easy battle and a ridiculously hard battle.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »

Well, what I did was equip Pocket Watch, Zodiac, and Cosmic Bracelet (until I got a crucifix) on just Ricardo. Then in the boss fight, I used that song that protects from Status and Ring Abnormalities on the rest of the party.

It has helped a lot  for the last half of the game.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: