Author Topic: Siliconera: Nanashi No Game Was Considered For NA, Focus Groups Killed It

Eusis

• View Profile
Story here. Basically boils down to not being able to shoot things.

For fuck's sake I'm tired of this need for games to NECESSITATE killing something or they're not worth bothering with. It was one of the more intriguing games SE put out too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:04:49 PM by Eusis »

Lard

• View Profile
This is why the games industry has turned to shit.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Alisha

• View Profile

this

this is the new qft.

was this focus group full of halo playing douches?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:22:12 PM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Lard

• View Profile

this

this is the new qft.

was this focus group full of halo playing douches?

It was either Halo, Madden or COD. Take your pick. Considering stuff like 999 gets released, there's no reason for this not to have come out.

The DS was supposed to be the last refuge for interesting, quirky games dammit.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Focus groups have probably caused more bad decisions in various industries than we can count.

Who knows where they got the people for the group, or how big it was, but leaving the fate of a niche DS game to a room of 10 people was a bad call on SE's part.

TurnBasedDude

• Ys Man
  • Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
Well, that is a totally dumb reason for not bringing over a niche DS game. Like others have said, hard to say what type of gamers the focus group is, and obscure, non-violent games like the various visual novels are brought over, and have their place here. Why not take the chance, do a low print run for safe keeping, and see how it plays are. Chances are, it can be a cult hit, but what do I know? I'm no expert on marketing. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101

CDFN

• View Profile
This is sad.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Wish Square Enix wasn't so protective of rights to games they have no intention of localizing. Because I can damn well guarantee Aksys would take a risk on a game like this and be better off for it. <3 999

Kstar

• Editor Emeritus
  • I Remember Everything
    • View Profile
I always wonder what type of consumers these focus groups are set up for, are they really the audience of the game?  Although, we know Square is concerned about sales, so I could see them not taking a chance on this.  However, it sounded unique enough and we really haven't seen anything like it- to me that's a huge selling point.  They did say they were still considering it for a download title, though, so not all hope is lost. 
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."

Sorrows Saturn

• View Profile
It always depressed me for how easily American gamers are stereotyped. :/

I don't even know if it's good or not, but I seriously want this game now. edit: Oh hey, and there's a sequel. In that one you also get to play a cursed platformer game.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:34:10 PM by Sorrows Saturn »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Yep, I pretty much just want this game now because they decided I wouldn't be able to appreciate it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:54:34 PM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Eusis

• View Profile
The HG101 article ended on a positive note, but it sounds like there are some serious design flaws. Wouldn't be surprised if that held the game back too actually; maybe we'll get lucky and they'll remake the first at least for the 3DS.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
So what system is this for?
The DS.
Phfff!
Who cares about a handheld game.
It's not even on a real console.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
I just lost respect for Squeenix by about %5,000.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
A HORROR GAME CANCELED! I wanted to smash something now! Seriously if it's anything like old school horror I'd be all over it.