Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 07:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331569 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Next Vanillaware Title to be Grand Knight History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Next Vanillaware Title to be Grand Knight History  (Read 9414 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »

This looks a lot like XSeeD bit off way more than they could've chewed on this one. Maybe if they weren't in the middle of trying to bring the Ys and TitS games as well as stuff like The Last Story over they might've been able to handle this.

As it is though....fuck.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »

What does Vanillaware have to do with their localisation?

They created the game and the code, they have to put it in. It's also what killed the Dragon Warrior IV PS1 localization, Heartbeat went on a sabbatical and basically closed shop before localization could be completed, and that game was too much of a pain to have someone else do it with too little time left in the PS1's lifespan. There are exceptions, I believe it's Carpe Fulgar who gets the translations put in themselves, and similar with Ys: Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin (though people managing to fantranslate probably helped).
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:35 AM »

Man, I was looking forward to this one. Reading Tom's comments on the Xseed forums makes me a little sad.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »

What does Vanillaware have to do with their localisation?

Xseed doesn't employ programmers.  At all.  They just produce the script and then hand it over to the developer.  And of course they handle the publishing part as well.  This isn't an unusual practice in this industry.  It does require a developer that at least cares a little, though...it seems that right now Vanillaware is frantically trying to finish Dragon's Crown and can't spare a single programmer to do something with Xseed's script.

The really sad this is that if you read some of Tom's comments on the Xseed forums it sounds like the translation was already finished.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:15 AM »

So it's done and they're canceling it?

That's even stupider.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »

The lesson to be taken from this is that more localization teams need to hire programmers.

Or hackers.

Or both.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »

Apparently it's still getting a European release.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/grand-knights-history-wont-be-published-by-xseed-development/

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »

I highly doubt the veracity of that article.  Seems like he's working on the assumption that, "Rising Star hasn't said it's cancelled yet, so it's still on!"

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

Do a lot of companies just translate and send the translation back like that??  Never heard of that one.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »

^I've never heard of that being done til now either. It seems awfully inefficient.

I highly doubt the veracity of that article.  Seems like he's working on the assumption that, "Rising Star hasn't said it's cancelled yet, so it's still on!"[/quote]

I was kind of wondering about it, but couldn't RS just buy the rights to the localisation from XSeed?

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »

If Rising Star did the programming stuff, couldn't XSeed still release it?
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »

If Rising Star did the programming stuff, couldn't XSeed still release it?

It's fairly common now for localization houses to have the original developer do the localization programming.  While I can't claim I know how Rising Star works, I doubt they staff programmers.  Based on what we've heard from XSEED, the bandwidth issue is from Vanillaware's end.  Now, should Rising Star actually staff programmers, maybe it is still on for Europe.  I think, though, that the writer is working from a set of assumptions that might not be accurate.  If so, it's pretty clear that it could likely be licensed for the US.  I doubt that's the case, though.

Edit: Also, to espouse why this might be the case, programmers are expensive.  Really expensive.  Say you have a one-size-fits-all senior programmer on staff for all localization.  In Southern California, that's going to run you, what, $120-150K/yr?  Say you're a small publisher like XSEED or Aksys and you localize somewhere between 3-6 titles a year.  That's a lot of money to keep a programmer on staff for when they're likely not going to have enough workload.  Sure, there's enough workload for the marketing guys, the editors/translators, etc., but my gut says that localization programming, when you have the original source code to work with, is not the most time-consuming gig.  It could be, but I'm guessing not.  It may simply be much more cost effective to include that as a part of your licensing fees.

This is all speculation, though.  That could be right or it could be horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:33:51 AM by John » Logged

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

They could, as said, always look into getting translation hackers on the job. How much developers would be fond of that could be an issue, though.

We work cheap, that's for sure. :P (Cheap here meaning for nothing)

Also, Working Designs had programmers(?, maybe singular) on staff, and I don't think they were a very big company at all.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

Do a lot of companies just translate and send the translation back like that??  Never heard of that one.

Yes. NISA and Aksys do it as well.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »

They could, as said, always look into getting translation hackers on the job. How much developers would be fond of that could be an issue, though.

We work cheap, that's for sure. :P (Cheap here meaning for nothing)

Also, Working Designs had programmers(?, maybe singular) on staff, and I don't think they were a very big company at all.

I think that the hack thing doesn't really work when you have to get yourself licensed with Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft.  I don't disagree that it's not an option for PC games, but I don't think it's feasible for this.

As for WD, I'm not sure about their business practices.  A little bit before my time where I was learning about how the industry worked.  Still, I know they had massive overhead.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: