Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:26:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318891 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Next Vanillaware Title to be Grand Knight History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Next Vanillaware Title to be Grand Knight History  (Read 8338 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »

Also, it's not just a matter of hiring programmers and doing it yourself. Some Japanese companies are very protective of their code and flat-out won't let anyone else touch it.

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »

Tell me about it. It took a lot of work to convince Tennen-Sozai(eXceed series) to pony up the source code so we could extract the script.

Weren't WD notorious for hacking the code of their projects from the inside out as needed?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »

bad news but I thought it might happen based on the stuff I've been hearing the last few months
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »

Weren't WD notorious for hacking the code of their projects from the inside out as needed?

Needed since Japanese devs actually throw away their code after a game is done(a practice which I find unthinkable, thankfully they don't anymore), so they need to find other means to fix things. 

The other case is Japanese coders tend to write their code knowing its going to be thrown away leading to some true coding abominations.  Making hacking and workarounds the only way to solve some problems. 

And yeah WD had one programmer on staff, but was also a partner, and WD was different in general.

From reading in between the lines with this sad cancellation, and Dragon Crown's issues, I think Vanillaware might be struggling.  I hate to be doom and gloom but I wouldn't be surprised if they get bought out or go under after DC.

EDIT: Oh and yeah localization houses rarely higher programmers, I know WD had one and that's it.  At my old workplace localization and development had a wall between them and I can think of one case where an outsourced dev team ended their relation with the company after a japan launch but before the localization, even though the company owned the code, localization was canned.  I'm hoping this may change from one of my attempted business endeavors(everyone please keep your fingers crossed that the parties I'm talking to say yes, then I can talk more about it).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:43:15 PM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Two Sheds Jackson
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »

this one being cancelled in US hurt
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: