Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318890 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSP PSN RPG downloads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PSP PSN RPG downloads  (Read 3353 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »

Downloaded my first game demo. I downloaded Valkyrie Chronicles II demo and it isn't too bad. Kind of like it. I love strategy games. Is this a popluar title?
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »

Brave Story is a good game especially if you like fairly straightforward stuff.
It makes me think of Dragon Quest for some reason.
You may also wanna try one called Jikandia since it has a free demo too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:08:49 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »

Brave Story is a good game especially if you like fairly straightforward.
It makes me think of Dragon Quest for some reason.
You may also wanna try one called Jikandia since it has a free demo too.

Yeah, I keep going back to Brave Story for a reason. Looks good and sometimes you don't want to play a complicated game...straightforward isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:21:20 AM »

I was in a similar situation a few months ago.  My wife got me a PSPgo for Christmas, and I was trying to look through PSN to find things worth getting.

At first I was discouraged because several games I had been interested in weren't available, but I looked around and found more than enough things to keep me busy.  I also have a soft spot for digital distribution, as I hate having to pop in or carry around discs (I get almost everything on my PC via steam/impulse now).

As you like strategy games you may want to look at:
Disgaea (1 or 2)
Jeanne d'arc
Tactics Ogre
Wild Arms XF (though people seem very polarized on this one)
Yggra Union
ZHP (Zettai Hero Project)
Phantom Brave
You could also pick up ps1 classics, like FFT

The PSN store updates every tuesday, so you can check their blog for new sales/price drops then.  Generally the best deals I have seen are around holidays, or when a specific publisher has a sale week (got the Sega deals, Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for $16 each around Christmas; and picked up more Atlus games than I probably should have during their last sale).

As for specific games, I recently finished Jeanne d'arc and really enjoyed it, though I didn't think I would when first starting out.

Just last week I started playing FF7 again in an effort to revisit some old ps1 classics.  I remember many of them as good, but was curious to see if that was just my fond memories and rose-colored glasses, and how well they stood the test of time.  So far I find these 'epic' big name ps1 games go well interspersed with other psp games, as they have a weightier feel that you don't often get from portable rpgs which tend not to take themselves as seriously (though that of course depends on the game) and I like the variety.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »

As for strategy titles I was considering these titles, maybe...Tactics Ogre (though it is far too expensive right now), Wild Arms XF (again, maybe) and Yggra Union.  Yggra Union looks chaotic though. Just seems like the fighting would get old.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

As for strategy titles I was considering these titles, maybe...Tactics Ogre (though it is far too expensive right now), Wild Arms XF (again, maybe) and Yggra Union.  Yggra Union looks chaotic though. Just seems like the fighting would get old.

I'm not sure how well the PSP version plays, but I've been playing Yggdra Union on GBA and it's really good. If you want Yggdra Union for PSP as a download, try getting Knights in the Nightmare for PSP, most come with a code for a free download of Yggdra Union. I'd say play Yggdra Union first though, because Knights in the Nightmare for PSP features an extra storyline where Yggdra is the main character.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »

I was wondering as prices of games drop does it make more sense to buy the umd version of a game or the download from PSN? For instance, Tactics Ogre is now $20 at both places. I mean if the psp machine fails I guess your out of luck with a umd copy but a psn download you could play on both the psp and ps3 if I understand that correctly. I was just curious what is more popular nowadays?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »

I mean if the psp machine fails I guess your out of luck with a umd copy but a psn download you could play on both the psp and ps3 if I understand that correctly.

I don't know where you got that idea, but it's completely false (though I bet a lot of people wish it were true).  The only games that work on both the PSP and PS3 and PSOne Classics and Minis.  PSP games are PSP-only, whether they be UMD or download versions.  Though download versions will work with the Vita.

Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »

I mean if the psp machine fails I guess your out of luck with a umd copy but a psn download you could play on both the psp and ps3 if I understand that correctly.

I don't know where you got that idea, but it's completely false (though I bet a lot of people wish it were true).  The only games that work on both the PSP and PS3 and PSOne Classics and Minis.  PSP games are PSP-only, whether they be UMD or download versions.  Though download versions will work with the Vita.

Yeah, guess that's what I meant...the PSone's play on ps3.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: