Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329234 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Okamiden
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Okamiden  (Read 1605 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »

You need to play the first game simply because it is awesome.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

*sigh*

I'm really sad about this. There are many things I like about Okamiden, but it just isn't grabbing me enough for some reason. I'm right near the end now, but I really can't be bothered to finish it. But with everyone else seeming to love it so much (and considering how much I loved the first one), I don't understand why it's not clicking with me.

I do like the characters, I think they did a great job with the graphics, there's a decent amount to do and it's a fairly good length. But the gameplay falls incredibly flat for me. I find the combat to be extraordinarily frustrating and boring (which is odd, because I liked it in the first one and there isn't much of a difference)--I feel like the boss battles are too lengthy, and the 'exploration' aspect to be badly hindered by the way they designed each area.

I am sad because I really want to like it more than I do. :(

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »

I personally got tired after
Code:
beating the theater dungeon
and went full force into Radiant Historia. I think like the original Okami it's probably best played in chunks every so often rather than torn through.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »

It's interesting you say that, because come to think of it, I played the original Okami over two separate sessions, separated by about 2 months and two games (Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Tales of the Abyss). I never fizzled at all... the only reason I put the game asside at all was because I was so stoked about getting my Wii and wanted to try it out. When I returned, it was fresh, and I still to this day put it alongside Twilight Princess, FF8+9, and Skies of Arcadia as my favorite games of all time. I tried playing through it again later on the Wii, and made it much farther than I normally do on second playthroughs, but the Wii controls just made it frusterating.

As for combat? Honestly, I have no problem with the combat in Okamiden. The series isn't exactly a shining example of revolutionary action gameplay. But Okamiden deffinitely lives up to it's predicessor. The brush strokes are far more at home with the stylus than the A-Pad or Wiimote, and incorporate themselves better into battles. The boss battles are actually a bit more interesting and challanging this time through, it isn't immediately obvious as to how to beat them, which is refreshing for a Zelda-style game.

So far, this is my favorite RPG on the DS, having not yet played Radient Historia. It easily rivals Trace Memory as my favorite DS game.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: