Author Topic: Xenogears worth it?

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
Re: Xenogears worth it?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:24 AM »
I've never understood the "drive" people have had to finish a game they didn't enjoy.

Neither have I, but I did do that to beat KH2... Hypocrisy is fun?

Eugh, yeah I can see this.  I've gotten *bored* with a game then got back to it.  But there, to me, has to be *some* reason you'd go back to a game you don't like.

I think it was so I wouldn't feel bad playing Birth By Sleep... I honestly don't know why, I just went to Wikipedia to see how Riku's story in CoM finished when I finally decided to stop playing.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »
this game will always be memorable for reason. WORST REASON EVER FOR PERMANENTLY REMOVING A CHARACTER FROM THE PARTY!

Code: [Select]
dont use elly

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

RpgN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 05:37:12 AM »
I played the Japanese version of the game, left it for a long time, got back to it about a week ago and I'm now at the part where I finished the sewers in Kislev and Rico is injured. It is my first time playing this far through the game.

Xenogears hasn't aged well in every department and it was lacking in a couple of things to begin with. The platforming part being more annoying than fun at times, the pacing and the frequent random fights as well. The big deathblows being useless because it is too slow trying to build AP, so I still haven't tried them out.

But, the game has something that makes me want to play further. It has a great style, music and the fights are starting to become more strategic. The party are learning new abilities and the gears fights are a nice variety added to the mix. Even that part with section D, I actually liked because they brought the feeling of being trapped and forced to live your live in a place for a while. I started getting used to it. The story is also great from the little that I understand, there are parts that I don't understand much for having political, military and religious talks in them with a lot of kanji. But I enjoyed the rest of the story and the characters are portrayed well. That Hammer is so annoying and only after my money :(

I'd play Trails in the Sky if you had to pick one. It is also a huge adventure and it's very polished and has handy additions like being able to retry any fight, save anywhere, have mission and story logs, monster and cooking logs etc. Not to mention that the gameplay and story are great as well.

Not sure how much you enjoyed Xenogears, if you didn't then there is no point of course. I'd continue with it myself despite the game having some flaws. It is ambitious and different yet still a traditional RPG, I wish they still made games like that.
I come in peace :)

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 05:39:51 AM »
this game will always be memorable for reason. WORST REASON EVER FOR PERMANENTLY REMOVING A CHARACTER FROM THE PARTY!

dont use elly

I agree, but the problem is, that isn't the only time the game's logic was flawed, the game is full of flawed logic like that, and it ticked me off. I can't remember specific instances (because it was so long ago that I played it), but I remember having this subliminal feeling all the time that the logic (especially in character decision and interaction) was slightly flawed at all times. It was kind of unnerving, and made the game seem silly.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »

dont use elly

I'd say the worst reason would have to have zero (good) justification from the narrative OR gameplay angles. This isn't the case for Xenogears, however, but is for Dragon Quest VII; despite coming earlier DQVI handled its job system WAY better.

Oh whoops, my father got ill so I'm going to leave your party for 10-30+ hours and fall way, way behind in my job leveling that's dependent on how many battles you fight!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:22:42 PM by Eusis »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »

dont use elly

I'd say the worst reason would have to have zero (good) justification from the narrative OR gameplay angles. This isn't the case for Xenogears, however, but is for Dragon Quest VII; despite coming earlier DQVI handled its job system WAY better.

Oh whoops, my father got ill so I'm going to leave your party for 10-30+ hours and fall way, way behind in my job leveling that's dependent on how many battles you fight!

Oh god this. The worst part is that this happens around the half way mark of the game and does this just so that you can get your fifth wheel of a party member who only comes with Dancer mastered and a few levels of Warrior whereas everyone else is probably working towards their second Intermediate class. And the worst part is that the only character willing to make room for the aforementioned left behind character is the only other character who was with you when you first started building your classes. The one character you really want to send up to the Summoner class despite his terrible base MP (because the character who really has the ideal base MP for that class is the very character we're talking about) just because he's the only character who has an even reasonable shot at reaching that class before you fight the final boss (aside from your MC).

It doesn't help that the game packs 54 different classes many of which you'll never see because it takes way too long to grind through any one of them, that many of them are monster classes, that some of the best spells and abilities come from cross class masteries (includes stuff like Kubuff and Song of Salvation), monster classes are completely inaccessible without monster hearts and you have to grind in hopes of getting a lucky monster heart drop including some of the earliest and most basic monster classes, that there's a large overlap in learnable skills from monster classes, that even intermediate monster classes teach you at most 5 skills per class with the average being 3-4, and that the best skills in the game are mostly exclusive to the highest end of monster classes like Magic Burst, Omniheal, C-c-c-cold Breath, Inferno, and so on.

Elly's problems in comparison are that she's one of four characters who bothers to use weapons (out of the nine characters available) and that you never get to use her upgraded mech (you only get to see it get wrecked in a cutscene fight because everyone else and their mech is getting crucified at the moment (despite Chuchu not having a mech but is still getting crucified)).

FFVII's Aerith is kinda like this in that many of her limit breaks were so goddamn broken and nobody even came close to replicating them.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Sise-Neg

• Conquerer of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like Xenogears. It's decent when you actually get to play it, but good lord most all of it is cutscene after cutscene. The battle system was pretty entertaining, but Legend of Legaia did the attack chaining scheme much better. I really think Xenogears gets defended only because it's a Square game.
Conqueror of the Cosmos

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
It's entirely possible that the people who support it actually enjoyed it. Crazy, no?
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
I think most of the love comes from the story. The damn thing plays so slow though!
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »

dont use elly

I agree, but the problem is, that isn't the only time the game's logic was flawed, the game is full of flawed logic like that, and it ticked me off. I can't remember specific instances (because it was so long ago that I played it), but I remember having this subliminal feeling all the time that the logic (especially in character decision and interaction) was slightly flawed at all times. It was kind of unnerving, and made the game seem silly.

Most jRPGs have fuzzy logic. I tend to ignore it and just enjoy the parts that make sense.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Prime Mover

• View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
Most jRPGs have fuzzy logic. I tend to ignore it and just enjoy the parts that make sense.

Very true, and I guess I do that to (FF8, for example). But I guess when I tried to ignore the fuzzy logic, when I pealed all that away, I found there was nothing left that I really valued. On their own (without the elements of the story), I didn't find the characters to be particularly 3-dimensional or interesting, and the story is so full of fuzzy logic that to ignore the fuzzy logic means completely ignoring the story. And since Xenogears focus is almost entirely on the characters and story, that leaves very little left. The graphics are terrible, the battle system is only fair, the sound and music is pretty good, but I didn't find it to be anything groundbreaking. So when I walked away, I felt like I had had a fairly mediocre experience all around.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
when Fei told Elly to stay behind so he would he would have something to come back too all hope was lost. she starts off relatively badass but gets chickified to a disgusting degree. shes like so many female gundam characters even though she doesnt technically die. it amazes me how anyone can think shes better than Shion.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Prime Mover

• View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
Alisha, you hit the nail ON THE HEAD. And your comparison to Gundam is spot on. When I watched SeeD, it was one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb: every strong female character devolved into a gooy wimpering mess by the end, as soon as any male character of moderate importance walked into the scene. Xenogears does exactly the same thing, "women can be strong, but only as long as they don't fall in love." No matter how badass they once were, they're all just giddy housewives at heart.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
Alisha, you hit the nail ON THE HEAD. And your comparison to Gundam is spot on. When I watched SeeD, it was one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb: every strong female character devolved into a gooy wimpering mess by the end, as soon as any male character of moderate importance walked into the scene. Xenogears does exactly the same thing, "women can be strong, but only as long as they don't fall in love." No matter how badass they once were, they're all just giddy housewives at heart.

That's actually a really good point you both raise.
Now I'm trying to think of a time when this was handled gracefully...
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »

That's actually a really good point you both raise.
Now I'm trying to think of a time when this was handled gracefully...

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but I found Lulu in FFX to stay strong all throughout the story (I might have to replay it again to check that though). I hated how gushy she got when she became pregnant, but I'm not going to argue that point (none of FFX's characters transitioned into FFX-2 well).
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.