Author Topic: Xenogears worth it?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Xenogears worth it?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »
Alisha, you hit the nail ON THE HEAD. And your comparison to Gundam is spot on. When I watched SeeD, it was one thing that stuck out like a sore thumb: every strong female character devolved into a gooy wimpering mess by the end, as soon as any male character of moderate importance walked into the scene. Xenogears does exactly the same thing, "women can be strong, but only as long as they don't fall in love." No matter how badass they once were, they're all just giddy housewives at heart.

That's actually a really good point you both raise.
Now I'm trying to think of a time when this was handled gracefully...

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but I found Lulu in FFX to stay strong all throughout the story (I might have to replay it again to check that though). I hated how gushy she got when she became pregnant, but I'm not going to argue that point (none of FFX's characters transitioned into FFX-2 well).

She also had the tiniest baby in her if she could feel it kick.  Clearly Wakka's super sperm and Lulu's awesome egg have a level 99 baby... or whatever the sphere-grid equivalent of that is.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like Xenogears. It's decent when you actually get to play it, but good lord most all of it is cutscene after cutscene. The battle system was pretty entertaining, but Legend of Legaia did the attack chaining scheme much better. I really think Xenogears gets defended only because it's a Square game.

Not only is this not true, anyone who says LOG is a better game than Xenogears should be forcibly sterilised.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
I think you're doing a disservice to yourself by not finishing Xenogears in its entirety. It's considered one of the greatest RPGs ever made, and rightfully so. It's a wonderful game. It gets better as you dwell deeper into the story, however, I concede that the endless amount of background story can get quite confusing. Just too bad game development on disc 2 fell apart.

Sise-Neg

• Conquerer of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like Xenogears. It's decent when you actually get to play it, but good lord most all of it is cutscene after cutscene. The battle system was pretty entertaining, but Legend of Legaia did the attack chaining scheme much better. I really think Xenogears gets defended only because it's a Square game.

Not only is this not true, anyone who says LOL is a better game than Xenogears should be forcibly sterilised.

Well as long as we're arguing opinions as fact...

It's very true. LoL did much more right than Xenogears. Out of the 40-50 hours of gameplay within Xenogears about 30 of those hours are spent watching seemingly endless cutscenes and 10 of those are actual gameplay itself. The whole game just goes through dialogue after endless dialogue and never seems to want to let you play the game, and it's made worse by the fact that there's no way to speed up the text. As for the battle system, Legaia's TAS system is much more refined than the weak/medium/strong attack combos used in Xenogears. And you'd think it'd be cool to control the mechs, but no. In battle they were basically watered-down versions of the main characters. Also the platforming areas were the worst, annoying because of the camera and if you miss a jump you have to go through the damn thing all over again. The platforming didn't contribute anything worthwhile. Additionally, Xenogears is linear as all hell, offering nothing in terms of side quests or exploration. Controls were shoddy, camerawork sucked, and the world map was awful. It really shouldn't be called an RPG, because Role Playing Games should have a hefty amount of gameplay whereas that took a backseat in Xenogears. Square should have just made a book instead.

Conqueror of the Cosmos

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
It's very true. LoL did much more right than Xenogears. Out of the 40-50 hours of gameplay within Xenogears about 30 of those hours are spent watching seemingly endless cutscenes and 10 of those are actual gameplay itself.

You're thinking of Xenosaga

Sise-Neg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
It's very true. LoL did much more right than Xenogears. Out of the 40-50 hours of gameplay within Xenogears about 30 of those hours are spent watching seemingly endless cutscenes and 10 of those are actual gameplay itself.

You're thinking of Xenosaga

Nope, i'm thinking of Xenogears. Though Xenosaga had that problem too. Must be something with the word Xeno that equates to long cutscenes, minimal gameplay.
Conqueror of the Cosmos

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »

Nope, i'm thinking of Xenogears.

Then you're thinking of the wrong game.

And LOG's battle system was slow and boring.

Sise-Neg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

Nope, i'm thinking of Xenogears.

Then you're thinking of the wrong game.

And LOG's battle system was slow and boring.

Battles took longer, sure (although encounter rate and battle length can be easily remedied in a number of ways). But boring? I fail to see how it's any less exciting than the 90% of RPGs who use the standard: press attack, hit enemy, jump back into place scheme.
Conqueror of the Cosmos

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:15 AM »
Maybe it was moreso the encounter rate, but I remember battles being boring in LOG.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
when Fei told Elly to stay behind so he would he would have something to come back too all hope was lost. she starts off relatively badass but gets chickified to a disgusting degree. shes like so many female gundam characters even though she doesnt technically die. it amazes me how anyone can think shes better than Shion.

I think that might have been the point given how much of a homage to the Giant Robot genre that Xenogears was. Elly pretty much is a female Gundam protagonist right down to the flight suit and the whole winding up with the XGverse's version of the Titans at one point. At least she started off as an Emma clone then devolved into a Fa rather than being just being Fa the whole way through. No, scratch that, Elly at her worst is nowhere near as bad as Fa is. She's more in between Four and Fa. Thank god she didn't end up as a Reccola clone ("Sorry Fei. I just can't resist Kerokero's manly charm anymore. I need to be a WOMAN now, and wet myself for Kerokero dammit!").
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Champlooz

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
I started TitS now and just finished the prologue. It's really fun.

Guess that game will take a while as I'm already 8 hours in and just reached chapter 1, but after that I most likely will go back and play Xenogears.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »

Not only is this not true, anyone who says LOL is a better game than Xenogears should be forcibly sterilised.

Well as long as we're arguing opinions as fact...

It's very true. LoL did much more right than Xenogears. Out of the 40-50 hours of gameplay within Xenogears about 30 of those hours are spent watching seemingly endless cutscenes and 10 of those are actual gameplay itself. The whole game just goes through dialogue after endless dialogue and never seems to want to let you play the game, and it's made worse by the fact that there's no way to speed up the text. As for the battle system, Legaia's TAS system is much more refined than the weak/medium/strong attack combos used in Xenogears. And you'd think it'd be cool to control the mechs, but no. In battle they were basically watered-down versions of the main characters. Also the platforming areas were the worst, annoying because of the camera and if you miss a jump you have to go through the damn thing all over again. The platforming didn't contribute anything worthwhile. Additionally, Xenogears is linear as all hell, offering nothing in terms of side quests or exploration. Controls were shoddy, camerawork sucked, and the world map was awful. It really shouldn't be called an RPG, because Role Playing Games should have a hefty amount of gameplay whereas that took a backseat in Xenogears. Square should have just made a book instead.

You're saying 75% of XG is spent watching cutscenes? Are you kidding me? 30 out of 40 hours? Are you telling me that if you skipped all the cutscenes you would finish the game in 10 hours?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:05:38 PM by CDFN »
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
Of which two hours would be spend climbing the Tower of Babel, right? Yeah, I guess the game did suck if 20% consisted of falling, falling and falling some more...

I really like Xenogears back in 2001. It was like some rite of passage into world of import RPG's. Xenogears was unlike any RPG I had played before and that made it special. Also, I was a stupid teenagers in those days so I was easily impressed by a storyline that went beyond 'kill dragon, save princess'.

Now I like Xenodurr, but I doubt I would have liked it if I hadn't played Xenogears back in the old days of Pokémon and Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs. So, thanks Xenogears!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
I love Xenodurr.  Been a long time since it updated, though...

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »
Lol, i's amazing just how much people blow things out of proportion. Look, I don't particularly like Xenogears, and I think I've made myself clear on that. However, saying that 75% of the game is cutscenes is just flat out wrong. It may FEEL like that (and that's not a good thing), but the reality is, there is no RPG out there where more than half the time is spent in cutscenes. Battles take time, dungeon exploration takes time. These things may not be as temporally discernible, hence the tendency to under/over estimate the time spent on these gameplay mechanics. Basically, the moment you introduce battles at all, you're pretty much guaranteed to have them take up a minimum of 50% of the game. They're repetitive, so we often loose track of just how much time we've spent doing them. But looking back on it, Xenogears has a fairly large number of major dungeons, many of which are not just a quick walk in the park. Some of the Gear boss battles, alone, I remember taking up to 30 minutes apiece.

Now, why would anyone say that 75% of the game is cutscenes? Because it does feel that way some times. Much of the writing is dry and descriptive, so if you're not fascinated with the story, you're going to have to slog through page after page of descriptions of things you don't give a shit about. The character dialog is NOT WELL WRITTEN either, being, once again, very utilitarian and often forced (this may be translation issues, but I sorta doubt it). So, again, wading through text you don't give a shit about. On top of that, there are two dungeons that were replaced by text cutscenes on disc 2. When you break it down, this entire period is probably about 45 minutes TOPS. But because it's so horribly conceived it sure feels like hours.