Author Topic: Get ME2 for PC FREE! With purchase of Dragon Age II!

Serene Prophet

• View Profile
Get ME2 for PC FREE! With purchase of Dragon Age II!
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
So, Bioware is doing something a little special for us Dragon Age II buyers.  Until April 30th, you may go to dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer, and either buy Dragon Age II, or if you have purchased it (New mind you, must have the online pass activated) you can get a code to download it for FREE!  It does not however come with the Cerberus Network pass, and you can only download it via EA Download Manager.

Thought you folks might wanna know.  Dunno If I myself will take advantage of it since my PC more than likely cannot run ME2 on any decent settings.  Though I may get it, just so its in my account so if I get a better PC later, maybe I can still download it.

Cheers!
-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
Re: Get ME2 for PC FREE! With purchase of Dragon Age II!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
Also, I can confirm that it shouldn't matter what platform you have it for - I have DA2 360 and it gave me a code.
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
EA marketing at its best. Whatever we make, you'll buy it.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
EA marketing at its best. Whatever we make, you'll buy it.

Wait.. what?

How does this make sense in the context of this particular promotion?  I can see it working long term in driving brand loyalty and demand for Mass Effect 3, but how does this at all equal your statement?  Elaborate, please.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Dragon Age 2 sales aren't very good when compared to recent Bioware titles and also, tons, and I mean TONS of them have already been sold back to stores. There's a wall full of used DA2 at my game store.
They are trying to sell more and make sure people don't buy discounted used DA2.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:51:43 PM by Annubis »

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
Dragon Age 2 sales aren't very good when compared to recent Bioware titles and also, tons, and I mean TONS of them have already been sold back to stores. There's a wall full of used DA2 at my game store.
They are trying to sell more and make sure people don't buy discounted used DA2.

Walls of used games aren't uncommon - I worked at a high trade volume GameStop when I was in college, and it wouldn't even take this long for us to get 20+ copies of any particular game.  We were up to around 200 copies of GTA IV traded in within two months of release.  It's not that uncommon.  Same for every Call of Duty, same for Madden, same for just about every game.  There was a point where our location was literally sitting on 250 copies of Gear of War, and we couldn't ship any out because all of the other stores in our district were more than stocked.

I'm not going to argue sales or quality of the title - that's not what confuses me.  What confuses me was your statement. Your second statement, however, is directly contradictory to your original statement.  Your statement of "Whatever we make, you'll buy it" assumes that consumers will purchase product independent of marketing.  Your second statement says that EA/BioWare require an additional promotion to boost sales.  I'm just confused as to how the original statement fits in the context of this promotion.

One thing I do see this promotion doing, however, is spreading ME2 to those who might not have bought it.  I own the PC version of ME2 already and they gave me a download code.  I'll probably give it to one of my friends who will probably be more inclined to buy ME3.  It's a good promotion in that sense.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:18:13 PM by KeeperX »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
You don't understand my logic because you apply my first statement to ME2 while it was referring to DA2.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
They say it sold 1 million in the 2 weeks following release. I don't know what their expectations were but that's more than DAO and considering the terrible reviews it's not bad.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
And I thought I'd make an embarrassment of myself there!

Anyways, there's a video trailer for the promotion. Seems funny to me they tout this as rewarding their "most loyal customers" by giving... a game their most loyal customers have. And honestly it's kind of a bum deal; giving it out to friends would work fine as John's doing, but anyone buying DAII explicitly for this should probably just buy ME2 separately and continue to wait on DAII to get cheaper (if that was their plan); this deal does not include the Cerberus Code which alone costs more than when I got ME2 in the Steam sale ($15 versus $10).

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
this deal does not include the Cerberus Code[/b] which alone costs more than when I got ME2 in the Steam sale ($15 versus $10).

I was going to say that. Considering that you can pick up ME2 for a tenner I don't see how anyone who wasn't planning to get DA2 will change their mind because of this.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
You don't understand my logic because you apply my first statement to ME2 while it was referring to DA2.

No, that's not what I'm doing.  My ME2 statements are in regards to giving away, specifically, Mass Effect 2.  They could give away Mass Effect 2 with purchases of Bulletstorm, Dead Space 2, or EA MMA, it doesn't matter, that's what my Mass Effect statements are referring to.  If you give away a free game with ANY game, it's going to boost demand for future titles, assuming that the title you're giving away is going to resonate with the audience, which, Mass Effect 2 is likely to do.  EA did it with Battlefield 2 when they released Medal of Honor: Airborne for PC.

Your statement of "Whatever we make, you'll buy it." in regards to Dragon Age II is directly contradictory to the follow-up statement of "Dragon Age 2 sales aren't very good when compared to recent Bioware titles and also, tons, and I mean TONS of them have already been sold back to stores."

If the first statement was true, EA wouldn't require follow-up marketing to boost Dragon Age II sales, so the second statement is false.  If the second statement is true, the first statement is false, because sales for Dragon Age II are allegedly down.

I don't necessarily disagree that market response hasn't been what EA expected and that additional marketing might not hurt - but that's what's confusing about your statement.  If everything they made, people bought, they wouldn't have a potential sales conundrum.  I don't have the NPD numbers, though, and having a game be a million seller isn't bad, especially a game with a shorter development time.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
Easy, a lot of people don't know about the Cerberus code.

EDIT: I'll attempt to explain some more.

Dragon Age 2 pre-launch = super game
Dragon Age 2 pre-launch big site reviews = super game
PRE-ORDERS!
Dragon Age 2 demo = wait wha?
Demo feedback = Oh, we removed things for the demo, though the game rocks! Also, Free DLC people!
ORDERS!
Dragon Age 2 reviews = OK game
Dragon Age 2 user reviews = terrible game
People selling back their DA2
PROMOTIONS!

Marketing at its best.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:25:41 PM by Annubis »

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
I think it's less of a promotion for the folks who are potentially buying it, and more along the lines of offering Steam users a friend code for a title, or the ability to gift it.  I've got a ME2 PC code now just sitting in my e-mail; I'm not going to use it, I own ME2 already.

Arhkaos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
I already had the digital version of Mass Effect 2, so I just kindly asked the customer service for an alternate gift, and they gave me a code to download the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for free instead. Yay!
I have fury!

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
Easy, a lot of people don't know about the Cerberus code.

EDIT: I'll attempt to explain some more.

Dragon Age 2 pre-launch = super game
Dragon Age 2 pre-launch big site reviews = super game
PRE-ORDERS!
Dragon Age 2 demo = wait wha?
Demo feedback = Oh, we removed things for the demo, though the game rocks! Also, Free DLC people!
ORDERS!
Dragon Age 2 reviews = OK game
Dragon Age 2 user reviews = terrible game
People selling back their DA2
PROMOTIONS!

Marketing at its best.

Wow, look at this douche tool go.  Managed to turn free copies of a videogame with the purchase of another videogame into some who-gives-a-shit anti-marketing rant.  And I thought I was the resident board asshole.