Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332046 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New to the site, looking for game advice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New to the site, looking for game advice  (Read 2954 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles is probably my all-time favorite PS3 game, but we're drifting further and futher away from the whole make-your-character-and/or-party thing.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »

The last game I played that allowed you to really build up your party was Baldur's Gate 2, using the multiplayer function (same as single player, but you can make all 6 characters instead of just the hero)

Final Fantasy Tactics / Tactics Advanced / War of the Lions also lets you 'customize' with jobs.
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »

I know it's not on a console you specified, but neverwinter nights 2 (D&D ruleset, selectable party members in main game, make your own full party and open ended in the 2nd expansion) sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for if you have a reasonably decent pc.  I've seen its platinum collection on sale on steam a few times lately.

As for the consoles your closest hits are as people have mentioned, the first person exploration games (class of heroes, etc...) or SRPGs (Disgaea, FFT...).

Although, and this suggestion may be way off base, I'd almost think FF12 (if you have a backwards compatible ps3) could fit the bill, as long as you build your characters in a consistent way to make them fit traditional class roles and don't just make everyone learn everything.  I got a strong dungeon crawler vibe from side quests in that game with a group of dedicated-role (and often underleveled) characters, when you need to use cc and can't just mob everything.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »

Phantasy Star Portable 2 lets you make your own character and gives you tons of options for combat and appearance

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »

If anyone is looking for a game where you do create your own party that is not really old and will run on modern OSs check out Temple of Elemental Evil - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil_(video_game)  if you can find it. Think its from 2003 and yes along with NWN2 (Which I loved), is one of the last good D&D games released.. which is really sad.

I went to a Gamestop yesterday after work looking for Etrian 3.. found it, but talking with the salesman led him to pull out a new and last copy of Hyperdimenion Neptunia.. I was kind of shocked, I was looking for that since release so I bought that instead and will hold off on Etrian until I get thru Strange Journey (HA!) or Radiant Historia.

PSP2 looks great.. Ill have to keep my eye on that for PSN sales

I am alot more hyped on Disgaea 4 now tho, I really think it will be something that will satisfy my craving.. but if anyone has any other games where you create your own party with race, class, sex choices please list them here!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:29:13 AM by Zyco » Logged
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure that the new PS3 Wizardry will float your boat.

Pro's:
- Make your own party
- Multiple race / class selections with rollable stats
- Dungeon crawling
- Turn based combat
- Traditional 'melee at the front', 'casters at the back' formations
- Beautiful but functional graphics
- Good storyline / character development

Negatives:
- Oh noes. Manga style character portraits.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:51 PM »

I just thought this information would interest you.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/22/the-five-races-in-wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls/

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »

Second, your avatar looks like a skeleton bursting through Goatse

I had a mouthful of lunch when I read this...  thank you, please.

Looks more like this guy's pre-fight peekaboo

That just just looks like a mecha-skeleton bustin' through a mecha-goatse.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »

Looks sweet, thanks for that.. I'm probably going to get that for sure.. I don't mind the first person style game if they gameplay and customization is there.

I think that the Wizadry series is a reboot or something, I know i used to see Wizardy games as a kid on old PCs and commodore 64s
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »

Looks sweet, thanks for that.. I'm probably going to get that for sure.. I don't mind the first person style game if they gameplay and customization is there.

I think that the Wizadry series is a reboot or something, I know i used to see Wizardy games as a kid on old PCs and commodore 64s

Yes, well, after some of the original Wizardry games were brought over to Japan, Japan started making their own Wizardry games for years. All we got though from that side of the series was one PS2 title, until now that is.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

And now that we're bumping this thread, you might really like the original Persona for PSP. It's a dungeon crawler with two story branches (just think of one as Easy Mode and one as Hard Mode) and all 5 of your party members are fairly customizable. It's not complete customization mind you, but I'm fairly certain you can give different Personas to your other characters (something that I'm sure manyvterans thought was sorely missing from P3 (DAMNIT JUNPEI WHY DOS YOU ERSONA SUCK)).

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: