Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 06:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329994 Posts in 13523 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  If you could show any game to a younger "You" ....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: If you could show any game to a younger "You" ....  (Read 4654 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

id also show mysel shadow of the colossus. also i'd give myself the password the progress in star tropics...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »

If I go back to being 11(A long damn time ago) I would have been playing NES games. Metroid most likely. So I would show younger me Metroid: Other M, or even the Prime series.
I also like Yodas pick of GOWIII. Perfect example of how bombastic games have gotten.
This is all in fun, but I would never actually want to do something like this. I really enjoyed the games of my youth, and have many fond memories. Best to focus on the here and now.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »

I might go for Super Smash Bros Brawl.  Not because it's a perfect game (because it's not) but most of the familiar characters would really draw a younger me's interest.  The idea of Sonic and Mario duking it out was a common schoolyard fantasy at the time, but we never thought it would be more than that.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »

I might go for Super Smash Bros Brawl.  Not because it's a perfect game (because it's not) but most of the familiar characters would really draw a younger me's interest.  The idea of Sonic and Mario duking it out was a common schoolyard fantasy at the time, but we never thought it would be more than that.

Haha I like this answer!

I love the series as is (I do think Melee had the better physics engine though); I think that would be an extremely impressive 3D title to show off to a younger me who's still used to sprite works.  Hell, those in-game models barely match the more professional CG work seen for these games earlier iterations.

I still love watching the mellee opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56P3-TwuRBo
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:14:01 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »

In retrospect, it would be a tie between Ico and the SMT games, likely Nocturne and DDS, for my younger, horror loving self.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »

custer's revenge
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »

I would take a 12-year-old me, show him Mega Man 10 and say, "THIS IS HOW FAR GAMES HAVE PROGRESSED" despite 12-year-old me having a PlayStation.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »

I would take a 12-year-old me, show him Mega Man 10 and say, "THIS IS HOW FAR GAMES HAVE PROGRESSED" despite 12-year-old me having a PlayStation.

LOL!

Or the secret levels in super meat boy.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »

I'd go back to 15/16 year old me, show them the current PSP version of Tactics Ogre, and be like, "WHY THE HELL DID YOU GIVE UP ON THIS GAME?! :("

Seriously though, I got hooked on video games at 7 or 8...which was the mid eighties with the first Mario game. I'd show them a current version of Mario, and blow my 7 year old mind.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »

I'd go back to 15/16 year old me, show them the current PSP version of Tactics Ogre, and be like, "WHY THE HELL DID YOU GIVE UP ON THIS GAME?! :("

I'd think you just gave your younger self the reason.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »

I might go for Super Smash Bros Brawl.  Not because it's a perfect game (because it's not) but most of the familiar characters would really draw a younger me's interest.  The idea of Sonic and Mario duking it out was a common schoolyard fantasy at the time, but we never thought it would be more than that.

Haha I like this answer!

I love the series as is (I do think Melee had the better physics engine though); I think that would be an extremely impressive 3D title to show off to a younger me who's still used to sprite works.  Hell, those in-game models barely match the more professional CG work seen for these games earlier iterations.

I still love watching the mellee opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56P3-TwuRBo

Yeah, I agree Melee has a tighter physics engine.  Mostly because of the speed, which makes the tourney crowd happy.  Adding the trip mechanics in Brawl was a very poor design decision.  It does add a sense of randomness that the franchise thrives on, but it just makes you end up feeling stupid rather than giggle.

That is awesome.  Sounds like the perfect ending twist for an Outer Limits episode.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »

Depending on how far back (let's say early to mid 90s) I think I'd bring along... one of the Dragon Quest remakes, probably V. Show that, yes, RPGs other than FF can be damn good, plus technically it wouldn't even be a game that didn't exist, just a shinier version of one that does.

I'd go with that. Although I wouldn't suggest myself to go looking for DQV from yesteryear as it aged kinda badly compared to the PS2 remake/DS port. DQVI would be a better choice if only because it would've wowed the socks off of me back then (if I could teach myself the best character raising strategies). Plus 10 year old me (probably would've been 11 by the time I would've figured out how to get past Murdaw and build a party without min/maxing the hell out of it) would not have noticed the fact that during the Pegasus Awakening scene that I was looking at essentially a pixellated horse's ass.

Otherwise, maybe either PS4 or Wanders From Ys.

Or better yet, stop myself from getting an N64 and that lousy Quest 64 game and tell myself to get a Sega Saturn and Panzer Dragoon Saga instead.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:04 AM »

I'd probably go back in time and bitchslap myself for being a LoM fanboy thus saving both of us a lot of embarrassment.

I'd also probably give myself the Captain Comic 2 copy protection codes because fuck I love that game and it's a shame I couldn't play it when I actually bought it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 06:54:09 PM »

I'd probably show myself some sort of perverted hentai game. Rape Lay.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: