Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331688 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenogears worth it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Xenogears worth it?  (Read 5014 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »

I have to agree on Prime Mover about the ratio to gameplay/story being wrong. Aside from specific points in games (like Disc 2 in Xenogears) and maybe if you ignored EVERYTHING but the main story in Trails in the Sky and relied on Retry offset to get you through tougher battles I can't recall any RPG I've played that was 50 or 75% plot advancement. Frankly, if Xenogears were that bad there's be less complaining about sequences like the Tower of Babel that were frustrating and long to get through.

Not that this nullifies the gameplay argument, Xenogears really wasn't the greatest there even though it wasn't out and out BAD for the most part (like Xenosaga II was).
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »

Lol, i's amazing just how much people blow things out of proportion. Look, I don't particularly like Xenogears, and I think I've made myself clear on that. However, saying that 75% of the game is cutscenes is just flat out wrong. It may FEEL like that (and that's not a good thing), but the reality is, there is no RPG out there where more than half the time is spent in cutscenes. Battles take time, dungeon exploration takes time. These things may not be as temporally discernible, hence the tendency to under/over estimate the time spent on these gameplay mechanics. Basically, the moment you introduce battles at all, you're pretty much guaranteed to have them take up a minimum of 50% of the game. They're repetitive, so we often loose track of just how much time we've spent doing them. But looking back on it, Xenogears has a fairly large number of major dungeons, many of which are not just a quick walk in the park. Some of the Gear boss battles, alone, I remember taking up to 30 minutes apiece.

Now, why would anyone say that 75% of the game is cutscenes? Because it does feel that way some times. Much of the writing is dry and descriptive, so if you're not fascinated with the story, you're going to have to slog through page after page of descriptions of things you don't give a shit about. The character dialog is NOT WELL WRITTEN either, being, once again, very utilitarian and often forced (this may be translation issues, but I sorta doubt it). So, again, wading through text you don't give a shit about. On top of that, there are two dungeons that were replaced by text cutscenes on disc 2. When you break it down, this entire period is probably about 45 minutes TOPS. But because it's so horribly conceived it sure feels like hours.

Well if it feels like it takes hours then that obviously means the gameplay took a backseat, which shouldn't ever happen in a role-playing game. Yeah, no RPG is gonna have 75% cutscenes, I was exaggerating that for emphasis. But either way anyone spins it, Xenogears has cutscenes that are way too long. It's like they didn't even want you to play the game so much as have you read the script.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:17:44 PM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »

like it takes hours then that obviously means the gameplay took a backseat, which shouldn't ever happen in a role-playing game. Yeah, no RPG is gonna have 75% cutscenes, I was exaggerating that for emphasis. But either way anyone spins it, Xenogears has cutscenes that are way too long. It's like they didn't even want you to play the game so much as have you read the script.

Are you referring to the anime cutscenes? Because those aren't very long.

Are you referring to the stretches of the game with just dialogue, and by this I mean where characters are standing around and you're just reading text? Because those aren't cutscenes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:17:34 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »

I'm in the midst of playing through the game again and while I really like the game for the most part, it really is long-winded. It's not a pick up and play for a half-hour kinda thing.  You have to commit yourself to "getting into it". It's not NEARLY as brutal as Xenosaga Ep. 1 though, that was just painful.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »

The game has shittty pacing.

End.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: