Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338023 Posts in 13840 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  An appreciation of RPG stories, east and west
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: An appreciation of RPG stories, east and west  (Read 3303 times)
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »

I can really see it both ways, ideally there is a balance of both great story and great battle system in the best RPGS, but there have been plenty of games that totally enthralled me based one element or another. 

For instance - I loved Final Fantasy 9's plot, setting, characters, and the fact they simplifed the battle system, but it was just so SLOW with all of the animations, even just for the attack command, that made everything just drag.  The plot kept me glued to my seat for the duration, however. 

On the flip side, Resonance of Fate - I LOVED this games battles to no end, and fighting them out & customizing my weaons in that game became my life for awhile- the game plot however is probably the most disorganized lump of crap and nonsense I ever encountered, yet- the game sucked me in for dozens of hours. 
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »

I can really see it both ways, ideally there is a balance of both great story and great battle system in the best RPGS, but there have been plenty of games that totally enthralled me based one element or another. 

For instance - I loved Final Fantasy 9's plot, setting, characters, and the fact they simplifed the battle system, but it was just so SLOW with all of the animations, even just for the attack command, that made everything just drag.  The plot kept me glued to my seat for the duration, however. 

On the flip side, Resonance of Fate - I LOVED this games battles to no end, and fighting them out & customizing my weaons in that game became my life for awhile- the game plot however is probably the most disorganized lump of crap and nonsense I ever encountered, yet- the game sucked me in for dozens of hours. 

The plot for RoF is pretty deep, but unfortunately relies 90% on *you* figuring out the missing puzzle pieces to ID the bigger picture.  They went for a minimalist style, and it was neat to *have* to watch the two opening videos to get the plot, and even talk to NPCs for more.  ... all things considered, as unique and different as it was ...never again.  Weird how Tri-Ace works stories around.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
lemonairable

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »

As far as best RPG stories go, I'd have to say that BoFIII and BoFV are my favorites. There's really an important message in both of them, if you bother to look into it.

OST Collection:
BoF OST Special Box
FFCC OST
LoZ: WW and OoT OSTs
.hack GU OST 1 and 2
.hack Music Best Collection
FFXII OST
Chrono Cross OST
Capcom Music Generation RockmanX1-6
Final Fantasy Tactics OST
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »

The plot for RoF is pretty deep, but unfortunately relies 90% on *you* figuring out the missing puzzle pieces to ID the bigger picture.  They went for a minimalist style, and it was neat to *have* to watch the two opening videos to get the plot, and even talk to NPCs for more.  ... all things considered, as unique and different as it was ...never again.  Weird how Tri-Ace works stories around.

Yep, like I said, the way they handled the plot is crap.  I should never have to work to figure out whats going on.  Maybe the more "arthouse" crowd will disagree with me, but I say tell the me the plot, tell me well, and better make it entertaining.  A plot can even be extremely complex, but tell it in a straightforward manner, not in an obtuse, disjointed way.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »

"This is the plot" rarely works in any medium. You can have a plot, why you are going from place to place, but the stuff you have to figure out for yourself usually can resonate with you on a deeper level.

Why is that character acting this way? They don't make it clear. Oh, I get it now, it is because of the relation she has with this character, that WOULD make sense.

That is a lot more satisfying than

"I am angry with you because of this and this and this."

It probably isn't the case here, but I am saying that being spoon fed plot details usually makes for a boring experience. For me at least. And as far as I know I'm not "arthouse"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

It probably isn't the case here, but I am saying that being spoon fed plot details usually makes for a boring experience. For me at least. And as far as I know I'm not "arthouse"

In my opinion, it has to be balanced. leaving too much unsaid is just as bad as having a game explain every characters moves and motives.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:57:55 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »

I think any RPG should answer the question about its characters "Who are these people and why should I care?" which is my opinion an essential step towards a good plot. A databank a la Star Ocean 3 definitely helps, as well.

Any RPG also needs a clear formula of "You are (blank) and your goal is (blank)", and complexity doesn't always make for a good plot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:17:16 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: