Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:04:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332739 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  character development
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: character development  (Read 8109 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »

does anyone else ever get annoyed with flashback heavy character development? it annoys me a lot sometimes and i would prefer to see the characters grow during the course of the journey. if you must have flashback based develoopment at least have it be somehow connected to the main story.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:09 PM »

Yes its extremely annoying.

It's like fleshing out a character = revealing their backstory.

Why not have the character grow as the journey goes on? :/
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:23 PM »

Although I loved Lost Odyssey's take on it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:20:06 AM »

Everyone was pissy when Vesperia focused on development than "the past" (I guess because it worked so well for Abyss?). 

I'm indifferent -- both work.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »

There's arguments for both - isn't Vagrant Story mostly flash back, yet universally loved?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »

Vagrant Story is competently written. Most JRPGs aren't.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:33 AM »

Now everyone, read this ten times with me out loud.
msg
Übermensch

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:17 AM »

It can be annoying if it happens a lot, some parts of FF7 annoy me. The part where you go to Nibelheim reactor with Sephiroth and spend ages fighting monsters and exploring for none of it to count towards anything.
But its just a small niggle, its not enough for me to complain about really, I guess if its needed for the story its all good.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »

There are plenty of JRPGs competently writtten. Competently translated is a different story.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:48:44 AM »

I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm more annoyed when the game goes on a super long character development session and you basically have to spend 20 minutes either watching a movie (if the game has budget for those) or 20 minutes pressing X for tons of text. Those really kill the pace.
I never finished Eternal Sonata because the game keeps doing that. Every single time between dungeons you get this really long ass character development session. On the opposite, when P3/4 does story development, it still feels like you are playing the game.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »

I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm more annoyed when the game goes on a super long character development session and you basically have to spend 20 minutes either watching a movie (if the game has budget for those) or 20 minutes pressing X for tons of text. Those really kill the pace.
I never finished Eternal Sonata because the game keeps doing that. Every single time between dungeons you get this really long ass character development session. On the opposite, when P3/4 does story development, it still feels like you are playing the game.

That's one of the things I loved about Eternal Sonata.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »

Digital Devil Saga had a neat take on it. Developed the characters along the way, then 2 completely overturns what you thought you knew.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »

There are plenty of JRPGs competently writtten. Competently translated is a different story.

But wait a minute. For an JRPG to be competently translated as you say it has to be competently writtten too, don't you think?
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »

I never really thought of it much, never really annoyed me. There are many different devices for framing and constructing a narrative. It's hard to say that one device is inherently bad. It's all about how well that devices is utilized. There are some narrative devices that could be considered overused, or copouts that avoid deeper storytelling, but that only really applies if it's not done well or ruins the pacing (another problem that can arise from temporal narrative devices). However, some are used to great effect. As much as I have my problems with FFX, the way they framed it as a story told from a point about 3/4 the way through the game was very effective.

I dunno, the more I think about it, the less examples I can think of when flashback scenes really annoyed me. So many games are temporally linear that it's kind of refreshing when a game breaks form. I actually thought it was one of the stronger aspects of FF7 (even if the first Tifa scene was pretty cheesy), and even better in FF8.

But then again, I'm pretty open to a lot of narrative devices. I don't even mind long cutscene sections, as long as they're done well. Some complain about having their game hijacked by cutscenes, but to me, that's not so much of a problem, unless the cutscenes are bad or uninteresting.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »

That's one of the things I loved about Eternal Sonata.

Me too.  I liked the fictional characters, but I really loved that they took the time to seperate Chopin's real life story from the other characters.  I would love to see more RPGs take a real historical figure, be it a musician, world leader, writer, and write them into a story while teaching you about real history and making sure the player knows the difference. between history and fiction.  Imagine roaming about a virtual Paris in the 1920s - 40s.. listening to jazz and meeting with characters.     
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: