Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 03:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329767 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A dark game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: A dark game?  (Read 7358 times)
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »

Visual novels: Saya no Uta is pretty goddamn morbid.  ...no seriously, it's a plot point to simply "be" like that.

Nier (not PSP... but not many "dark" PSP titles... because otherwise, aside from a few minor additions, and old, Breath of Fire V and the SMTs was the last that I can really say stuck to memory)

Her XBox broke... she relies on me for my XBox now.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »

Well, if she's looking for a dark psp game and doesn't mind lots of cutscenes, you might want to look up Shadow of Destiny.

edit: Here's a trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mItuNlw8GP0
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:32:49 AM by Vaporeon » Logged
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »

Well, if she's looking for a dark psp game and doesn't mind lots of cutscenes, you might want to look up Shadow of Destiny.

It's not reviewed by RPGFan, how can I be expected to trust anything else about this game?

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »

It's not reviewed by RPGFan, how can I be expected to trust anything else about this game?

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/shadowofdestiny/Shadow_of_Destiny.html

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »

Well, I think we decided on our games. It appears we're getting Persona, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and LA Noire. Sounds good to me.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:41 AM »

You should still play Photopia. It's short. And really, really dark.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »

I linked her to the site already. I'll put in that suggestion though.

Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »

She bought Persona today. This should be awesome.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »

Visual novels: Saya no Uta is pretty goddamn morbid.  ...no seriously, it's a plot point to simply "be" like that.

Nier (not PSP... but not many "dark" PSP titles... because otherwise, aside from a few minor additions, and old, Breath of Fire V and the SMTs was the last that I can really say stuck to memory)

Can't let the lack of emphasis cause this one to slip by so I'm seconding Nier.

It's very much like a darker version of LoZ: Ocarina of Time (although I'd probably describe it as morbid rather than dark). But it also has excellent dialog, great characters, a wonderful soundtrack, and serviceable gameplay. There is a female character as well (although strictly non-playable though also not retarded either) that, despite appearances, is actually quite good and comes in early enough that your friend might have a chance to relate. But a few things I should note about the game...

1)Try to avoid the opening movie or looking up too much about the game. A lot of promotional material let slip some really big whoppers in terms of spoilers.
2)Ignore trying to get full 'chieves or trophies. This game was designed by the dev team formerly known as Cavia who are infamous for being colossal trolls to gamers. If a sidequest seems to require more effort to complete than its worth then it's probably worth ignoring.
3)For the love of god, LOOK AT YOUR MAP!!! Seriously, the RED X is your guide. Don't be a retard who spends 40 hours futility trying to complete a quest in the wrong fucking place and then bash the game because of your own mental deficiencies.
&4)The developers may be colossal trolls but they wont make it impossible to unlock all four endings. Everything you need will be provided for you. Only the optional stuff will require watching out for, and even then there is a NG+ feature in the game so either way don't worry about it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »

Can't let the lack of emphasis cause this one to slip by so I'm seconding Nier.

It's very much like a darker version of LoZ: Ocarina of Time (although I'd probably describe it as morbid rather than dark). But it also has excellent dialog, great characters, a wonderful soundtrack, and serviceable gameplay. There is a female character as well (although strictly non-playable though also not retarded either) that, despite appearances, is actually quite good and comes in early enough that your friend might have a chance to relate. But a few things I should note about the game...

1)Try to avoid the opening movie or looking up too much about the game. A lot of promotional material let slip some really big whoppers in terms of spoilers.
2)Ignore trying to get full 'chieves or trophies. This game was designed by the dev team formerly known as Cavia who are infamous for being colossal trolls to gamers. If a sidequest seems to require more effort to complete than its worth then it's probably worth ignoring.
3)For the love of god, LOOK AT YOUR MAP!!! Seriously, the RED X is your guide. Don't be a retard who spends 40 hours futility trying to complete a quest in the wrong fucking place and then bash the game because of your own mental deficiencies.
&4)The developers may be colossal trolls but they wont make it impossible to unlock all four endings. Everything you need will be provided for you. Only the optional stuff will require watching out for, and even then there is a NG+ feature in the game so either way don't worry about it.

If I may add a 5:

Look up a guide for the fishing minigame. I'd say ignore it except it's required to advance the plot. The game does a piss poor job of explaining it.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »

couldn't agree more about the fishing, my god I went crazy before I finally looked up how the hell to do it!

Everything's Eventual
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »

Well, I think we decided on our games. It appears we're getting Persona, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and LA Noire. Sounds good to me.

Good call on LA Noire. If anything RPGFan should be reviewing that, such as 999 and other interactive type stories.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »

If I may add a 5:

Look up a guide for the fishing minigame. I'd say ignore it except it's required to advance the plot. The game does a piss poor job of explaining it.

Wait, there's only one point in the game when you have to fish and if you fail more than a couple of times the game just gives it to you for free so you can move on.

That said, I got really good at the fishing and got all the trophies and stuff for it.  I was actually enjoying it by the end.

Ita_gs

The Friendly Deer

kurapicakurapica@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

I second this recommendation. If you can get used to the interface, Photopia is one of the greatest games ever (and Adam Cadre's best).

Neglected.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »

Also one for Nier. For some reason, I've been thinking about that one a lot lately. I started listening to the soundtrack again, I even had a Nier-themed dream about a month ago, out of the middle of nowhere (I played it 5 months ago). That game hit me like a ton of bricks.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: