Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  concerts you've been to recently
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: concerts you've been to recently  (Read 5427 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »

Tell us about concerts you've attended.

In the last year I've attended two (excluding MAGFest ... including MAGFest, that's like 15 more...)

Last August my wife and I went to see The Swell Season in Baltimore. Y'know, the people from the movie "Once"? It was a mighty fine show, standing room only though. Their final encore piece was "High Horses," which is my absolute favorite piece of theirs. So that was a win. Listen if you ain't heard Swell Season / Once soundtrack yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95R10IgX-Y -- High Horses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MgPqYKG2y4&feature=related -- When Your Mind's Made Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS75fXK9uXk -- Two Tongues

-------

Last night my wife and I saw Jars of Clay on their new "The Shelter" tour (promoting new album, playing with other artists on the album). For me, the best part was seeing Derek Webb, whom I had seen a little over a year ago when he was opening for / supporting Jennifer Knapp (when she "came out," he was the only one from the Nashville CCM scene still standing by her). Webb has a new instrumental album out called "Feedback," and it's surprisingly strong. Unfortunately, he didn't play anything from Stockholm Syndrome.

(here's a song from Stockholm Syndrome that I wish he'd played... cuz he had his electronic stuff setup for Feedback anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCU99QSQdjU -- Jena and Jimmy, it's about racism, but you wouldn't know it unless you know the references)

Jars' set was almost entirely the new album, with a few tracks from the first album. For me, it was a travesty that they didn't play anything from albums 2 through 4, only one song from Good Monsters, and the *worst* song from Long Fall...

But here's a song from the new album that they played live that I'm starting to dig quite a bit.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search?q=Jars%20of%20Clay%20Lay%20it%20down

And here's a song they didn't play last night, but they absolutely should have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0041GDsqE

In conclusion, I would like to go to more concerts.

Who have YOU seen lately?

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:23:36 AM »

Pixies this Wednesday! \(^^)/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58:17 AM »

I went to a Metallica concert back in October, and it may have been one of the best nights of my life, if not the best. Sure, their fresh material hasn't been the best for the last 20 years, but man, can they play live or WHAT? Not much moshing though, which was a bummer, but I still had a fantastic time.

In December, I attended a festival headlined by Megadeth, who played their Rust in Peace album in it's entirety, along with a few other songs. Now that was awesome! Dave Mustaine being my favourite guitarist, seeing him live was a bloody joy! I hope I get to see them live again. Also, a couple of other notable bands that played there were 3 Inches of Blood (who I met in person, and got photos with them, as they were chilling outside after their set) and GWAR (who are one of those bands who put on an amazing show). Katatonia played as well, who weren't too badl. The rest of the bands that played were mainly punk bands (such as NOFX), and faggot core bands like Suicide Silence.

And in February, I went over to Brisbane, and attended their Soundwave festival, headlined by Iron Maiden, with other notable artists that played like Slayer, Rob Zombie and Slash. Maiden and Slayer were fantastic, even with Jeff Hanneman's absence (but a good replacement with Gary Holt from Exodus). Saxon were going to be there, but they pulled out, which made me a sad man, 'till Slash came on stage.

Now, I just need to see Anthrax, and I will have seen all of the Big Four live. Hurry up and get your asses to New Zealand!!

Next month, I'm seeing Alestorm. I can't bloody wait!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:03:38 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

Ghostface did a show here a year ago that was free and very underpromoted, so there were only like 100 people in the crowd, so that was cool.
Also saw Nas last year at a school-sponsored show for only $10 with DJ Green Lantern, that was an awesome show.

The best show I've been to ever was also last year (I guess that was a pretty legendary year for shows): THE FALL OF TROY

I'm a ridiculous TFOT fanboy so seeing them at one of their very last shows was incredible. They put on such a crazy show, it's really a shame Thomas broke up the band to form such a blatantly inferior project.

Also a bunch of random local shows.
Lightning Bolt played not too far from where I live (matter of like a dozen blocks or so) a couple weeks ago but somehow I didn't hear about it until after the fact. That sucked.
I really need to get out to more concerts. Not that many good acts come to Albany, though, and NYC is just barely far enough away for it to be considerably costly and time-consuming to get there and back..
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »

I already admitted this elsewhere, so the secret's out: I've pretty much never been to any concerts ever.

I did go see The Nylons once, and another time, I saw The King's Singers perform with the Utah Symphony... and maybe the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?  It's been a while - can't remember if they were involved or not.

But clearly, neither of those count. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:55 AM »

Metallica was my best as well, the fact that sepultura, slipknot and moonspell also played that night didn't hurt either.
A very close second would be the night I saw 2 of my 3 favorite bands, Dream Theater and Opeth.
I've seen DT 3 times and they were all amazing, that particular night stands out because of Opeth, both bands in the same gig was too good to be true.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »

Due to time and money restraints, and the fact that San Antonio gets very few good concerts due to being passed over in favor of Austin and Houston, I'm pretty sure the last concert I went to was a couple of years back.  My memory is a bit fuzzy, but the last one was either Heaven & Hell (excellent show, of course) or Willie Nelson's 4th of July barbeque (which was an excellent, star-studded affair with the exception of a few flavor of the month bands like Los Lonely Boys).
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Saw Rush in Tampa during the Time Machine tour.  Neil Pert's drum solo was epic, as always.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »

OMG THE PIXIES WERE AWESOME

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »

My friend who works for a few different music zines got free tickets last year to see the Pixies. I was jealous.

Animal Collective have a show in Prospect Park in July, tickets go on sale tomorrow. Sounds good to me.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »

I saw Sabaton and Accept the weekend before last. Had a fun time.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »

Animal Collective have a show in Prospect Park in July, tickets go on sale tomorrow. Sounds good to me.

Now I'm jealous.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »

Yeah, I broke down and bought them. $44 is more money than I like to spend on a show, but the high chance of those selling out and the fact that I've never seen them before is what made me plunk down that amount of change. Normally, I like $20 at the max.

I went to this cool warehouse venue called Babycastles last night and saw Spectre Folk, White Fence, and Woods for $10.

All the bands put on a good show. It was funny cause Spectre Folk's drummer looked like Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth. I thought about telling him that. Then I googled it on my phone. Turns out, he WAS Steve Shelley.

Woods are pretty incredible live. Also, it seemed like they were friends with a good amount of the people there which gave the show an atmosphere not unlike when I used to play in punk bands back in New Hampshire. Good times.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »

Woods is a really neat band, I dig them a lot.

Probably goin to see Portugal. The Man in a few weeks. Should be fun.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 12:29:04 AM »

Atlas Sound plays the day before my birthday, Beirut and Woods play the day of my birthday, though not on the same bill. Choices, choices.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: