Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 01:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338628 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Sonic Generations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Sonic Generations  (Read 8036 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 05:59:02 AM »

The demo will only be available for a limited time (19 as of today).

Fortunately the demo is based on classic sonic and I fucking loved it. Though sonic doesn't control 100% like in the genesis games it's really close, a lot better than sonic 4. The level itself is fantastic, with lots of alternate routes and almost as tall as it is long meaning lots of vertical exploration. It also looks great, just like you'd imagine green hill zone running on modern tech. Didn't feel quite a smooth as I hoped sometimes, 60fps would've been great but oh well. I'm definitely getting this for classic sonic alone.
There's also a button for instant spin dash but you can ignore it if you want. Overall I'm both glad that they stayed so close to the original's gameplay and impressed with the design of this level. It definitely left me wanting more.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:13:29 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »

I'm playing this right now too... the game is just downright gorgeous and handles pretty well (feels like a fucking sonic game).

My only complaint is that at certain times when you're moving pretty fast it sort of becomes hard to see details like enemies and platforms. I'm not sure if it's because the backgrounds are super-detailed, it's just a demo, or i'm tired and just having a hard time :)

The remix of the green hill zone theme is bringing some major nostalgic tears to my eye. I was born in 1982 so I was at the right age when sonic first came out to just absolutely freak out about how cool that game was. 
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »

The contrast between backgound and foreground needs to be improved, I actually tried jumping on a platform that was part of the background. It's funny because that fan made sonic game has the same problem.
Frame-rate has issues (I hear it's better on the 360) but this is an early build.
The spin dash is too damn fast, they need to slow it down, it's crazy.
I really liked the level, I had to play through it 4 times to see all the routes, I never played a demo so many times. It's still not as good as the fan made game but it's pretty damn close to the game I've been wanting sega to create for the past 10 years.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »

Demo was loaded with info about the game, here's the whole thing (contains as many spoilers as you could possibly imagine):

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/9422-hidden-assets-of-the-generations-demo-spoilers/page__st__500__p__305334#entry305334

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

Looking good, but I'm just hoping it doesn't have any weird surprises like Werehog or whatever.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »

It's impossible not to be hyped for this, the awesomeness of chemical plant in glorious HD is upon us:

Edit: Damn, scans have been taken down.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:53:34 PM by CDFN » Logged

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »

Sonic was always to hectic for me, a lot of the time the level just bounced you around at lightning fast speeds. I might still have a look at the demo though.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »

Sonic was always to hectic for me, a lot of the time the level just bounced you around at lightning fast speeds. I might still have a look at the demo though.

That's why I always preferred the very first Sonic, because it was fast, but on your own terms. As the series progressed, it sought to just throw you around to random places half the time, and you'd just take your hands off the controller for 10 seconds at a time while cool looking levels rushed passed. Everyone loves Sonic 2, but Sonic 1 and Sonic CD had an interesting charm that never returned. Sonic 1 also has my favorite bonus stage design. That thing was TRIPPY! I'd love to have played an entire zone based on that concept.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »

Lots of new pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/sets/72157626400442837/with/5958117138/

Looks really good. chemical plant FTW!

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 08:20:03 AM »

Chemical plant playthrough claasic style OMFG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZI01k5OB40

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »

Wow, this really makes Chemical Plant come alive. I was never a HUGE fan of Chemical Plant, but this makes it sing. I can't wait.

I was hoping to get this on the 3DS, but it looks like people are saying that the game is better on the 360/PS3.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

Mushroom Hill on the 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pe8LoLwlJ_M

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 04:52:54 AM »

PC version confirmed!

The upcoming platformer celebration is priced at a modest $29.99 and has the following system requirements:

Minimum Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900
11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz
3GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850
11 GB free hard drive space

1080p 60fps here I come!

Those are some pretty high requirements though, this better be because the visuals actually justify it and not because it's a poorly optimized port.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:04:33 AM by CDFN » Logged

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »

Wow, that guy REALLY sucks at Sonic. I can't wait to get this, but I'm going to have trouble deciding whether to get it on the 3DS or 360. I'm leaning toward the 3DS because the 3D would be perfect for something like this, and it looks like a great handheld game for on-the-go.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »

I just tried the PSN demo, and I have to say, classic Sonic just plain blows. He feels like a tank (try the demo, you'll know what I mean). Modern Sonic fares a little better, but its not really enough to make up for the awful classic engine. The demo has the "in development" disclaimer, so maybe they'll tweak it, but so far, I'm not impressed.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: