Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334534 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Real Silent Hill Experience
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Real Silent Hill Experience  (Read 2035 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:22:04 PM »

Playlist of The Real Silent Hill Experience

Ha. Facegina...

Watch all the videos in order and don't turn off the annotations.*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:23:52 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »

Almost through these videos, and I can't stand the two guys who made it (three if you count the odd looking beard guy).  I love how they say that the underwhelming combat and wonky controls from the first few games in the series are better than anything else done to date.  They use the argument "those are the controls, so get used to them" to defend the franchise's shortcomings.  I'm a huge Silent Hill fan, but I refuse to defend poor design choices.  That said, the retrospective has some decent production values and you can tell these guys are fans.  There's also a good deal of information hidden within the subjective analysis.  

Also, they say that 3 is the best game in the series.  Totally disagree with them on that one.

Edit-
Just finished the whole thing, and I stand by my original statements.  These guys are clearly in love with certain aspects of the first few games, and they would rather see the series die than expand and develop.  Don't get me wrong, the past few games haven't been so hot, but that doesn't mean we should throwout the baby with the bathwater.  Also, I've never been a fan of the whole cult angle so heavily prevalent in 1 and 3.  I find the personal hell of SH2 to be far more intriguing and disturbing than crazy dudes trying to summon an evil god.  I hope the next game follows a similar storyline but shies away from the "main character can't remember what bad thing he/she did" plot line. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:40:59 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »

Why am I not allowed to turn of the annotations?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »

New video! :D

Now with more AAAAAAGGGGGHHH!!!

Edit: I missed these two: Samael and Multiple Dimension Theory.

Why am I not allowed to turn of the annotations?

Because...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:24:17 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »

Silent Hill HD Collection Review Part 1 (TRSHE 14a)
Silent Hill HD Collection Review Part 2 (TRSHE 14b)

See, people weren't joking when they say that you shouldn't buy this "HD Collection". Why? Because is poop on a disc. :c
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »

Hey there Facegina, what's it like in S. Hill city?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »

Watching all of these again made me pick up Downpour on Amazon.  I'm sure we'll hear their thoughts on this in due time. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:15:17 AM »

Dave Schaufele interviews Guy Cihi - June 2012

The whole thing.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »

My dilfometer just exploded.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

Silent Hill: Downpour Review

In where there's 2 hours spent saying that Silent Hill ended (but literally though) in SH3 and you really shouldn't care about this series anymore. In fact, you should have ignored anything after SH3.

SH4 you ask? Well... while SH4 had people of the original team working on that project, but the whole thing has always been stuck in limbo as a side story/spin-off thingy or "a game that some dudes at Konami forced the project to be a Silent Hill game because of money and name recognition".

All the other titles made after SH4 where made practically for the same reasons. The only difference this time was that the people that took part on those projects (aside from never understanding what the series was about) never got the message that Silent Hill can't be imitated or expanded because it was the creation of very specific people.

Silent Hill is not like Resident Evil were the entire universe presented there allows for expansion in its main history from different directors, that's why there is never going to be another good Silent Hill game ever again and you have to deal with it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:19:23 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »

But apparently Shattered Memories was pretty good, so it could maybe happen again.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »

But apparently Shattered Memories was pretty good, so it could maybe happen again.

They put effort into that one, but if that was the best this group of people could have done using the Silent Hill name then I would have wished Konami would have had the balls years ago to start a new IP to create random horror titles instead of running Silent Hill into the ground with a bunch of mediocre games that ended up alienating people more than anything else.

...what's funny about all of this though is that there's people still crying over how "bad" the main Resident Evil series is nowadays after it technically evolved into an Action Horror franchise. Buy hey opinions and all that right?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:20:51 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »

It was fucking horrendous and utterly pointless.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

Forgot to mention that back in 2003 when Team Silent was done with Silent Hill in that same year it was released what is considered by many as the successor of Silent Hill; The Forbidden Siren series (Hardcore Gaming 101 article).

The last game in that series was released back in 2008, Siren: New Translation (or Siren: Blood Curse as is known in America) for PS3/PSN.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

Forgot to mention that back in 2003 when Team Silent was done with Silent Hill in that same year it was released what is considered by many as the successor of Silent Hill; The Forbidden Siren series (Hardcore Gaming 101 article).

The last game in that series was released back in 2008, Siren: New Translation (or Siren: Blood Curse as is known in America) for PS3/PSN.

Though I've never played Siren, I've seen game playthroughs and it has creeped the heck out of me. New Translation, on the other hand, was a bit less unsettling (especially the music used in the ending that came out of nowhere).

People should definitely check out those games...

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: