Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341179 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tri-Ace Technical Demo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: tri-Ace Technical Demo  (Read 7512 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »

tri-Ace Technical Demo Trailer 2011 "Physically-based Rendering version 0.1"

http://research.tri-ace.com/
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »

It wont look like that during gameplay if that's what you're thinking.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »

WOW, we've come a long way since Pong, lol!

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

Almost a shame that's not a real title, or a Star Ocean 5, the leads look more interesting than what we left off with in the 4th title (and these two new ones didn't even have to say a fucking thing.... wait, maybe that's why it was good).  Damn, I liked it a lot...

I really liked what I saw and I really hope they get busy again soon -- they're pretty goddamn amazing graphically compared to the rut of 2D and shitty moe 3D Japan's smaller companies are in.  And everyone knows I love them for their gameplay, and Im sure I've argued with a few people here about actually defending SO4 (on battle grounds trumping story, something people refuse to do).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »

Whenever I see companies go into a penile competition about graphics it makes me sad.
I'm not against better graphics... but when you take it too far, usually there's little time or money left for anything else.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »

Whenever I see companies go into a penile competition about graphics it makes me sad.
I'm not against better graphics... but when you take it too far, usually there's little time or money left for anything else.

It depends.  I care about graphics only when it looks like they didn't try or they didn't put in their full 100%.  
The new Atelier games remedy this, but you can compare Atelier Rorona to the following 2 titles for this.  
Also, if you're going to do a 2D title these days, something more than 3 choppy frames would be nice.  (bad example) The animations for the Tales of Vesperia skits looked like garbage half the time, especially compared to the usually beautifully animated beginnings for the game.
One minor pet peeve is when "opening a door" is reduced to a fade out and a fade in of the character inside after a "door opening" SFX.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »

Personally, I'm glad that tri-Ace took the time to do this demo because it showed that they can do human proportions instead of creppy soulless designs of characters based on animu art style.

Seriously, Star Ocean 4 is creppy as hell. Thankfully, End of Eternity fixed that problem (for the most part, anyway).

Here I'm hoping that their next game is not a sequel. I rather see this technology debuting with something new.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »

Personally, I'm glad that tri-Ace took the time to do this demo because it showed that they can do human proportions instead of creppy soulless designs of characters based on animu art style.

Seriously, Star Ocean 4 is creppy as hell. Thankfully, End of Eternity fixed that problem (for the most part, anyway).

Here I'm hoping that their next game is not a sequel. I rather see this technology debuting with something new.

I'm with you on this!
I slowly stopped playing SO4 because most of the characters were horrendous. Not only that but I started it after the amazing Resonance of Fate.

About the video, I'm glad to see a japanese RPG developer doing characters that resemble people. Not that I don't like anime characters but variety is good.
The graphic itself looks great! I really like that brown look, the details on the guy's room, the reflection of the sun, pretty much everything.

Now, if they use this tech to make Valkyrie Profile 3 I'm going to love Tri-Ace for the rest of my life!

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »

Creppy?  Good one.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »

It depends.  I care about graphics only when it looks like they didn't try or they didn't put in their full 100%.  
The new Atelier games remedy this, but you can compare Atelier Rorona to the following 2 titles for this.  
Also, if you're going to do a 2D title these days, something more than 3 choppy frames would be nice.  (bad example) The animations for the Tales of Vesperia skits looked like garbage half the time, especially compared to the usually beautifully animated beginnings for the game.
One minor pet peeve is when "opening a door" is reduced to a fade out and a fade in of the character inside after a "door opening" SFX.

Vesperia's opening animation was horrible.  It goes through quality spikes every 10 seconds.

Which makes me sad, since I love the game.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »

Not impressed.  Naughty Dog shits all over this.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »

Creppy?  Good one.

Uuh... whoops?
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »

I loved that. Yes, I can be a graphics whore. Sue me.

From what I've seen of them (Eternal Sonata and Valkyrie Profile series), they've always had great graphics, but this blows everything I've ever seen before out of the water.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Rambotipelto

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »

Not impressed.  Naughty Dog shits all over this.

Naughty Dog also just happens to have the backing of a gigantic corporation and probably has a MUCH larger budget than anything tri-Ace has ever had.  I'd say I'm more impressed by tri-Ace's accomplishments than Naughty Dog's.

I loved that. Yes, I can be a graphics whore. Sue me.

From what I've seen of them (Eternal Sonata and Valkyrie Profile series), they've always had great graphics, but this blows everything I've ever seen before out of the water.

tri-Ace did not make Eternal Sonata.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:46:17 PM »

tri-Ace did not make Eternal Sonata.

But... there name. I saw it every time  turned it on. Who made it then?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: