Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 03:00:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340806 Posts in 13926 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tri-Ace Technical Demo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: tri-Ace Technical Demo  (Read 7485 times)
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

but this blows everything I've ever seen before out of the water.

You serious? I can't believe some people are so impressed by this.

As for the Naughty Dog comparison, it's not about the budget, a lot of games with huge budgets are a technical mess. What they have is people with an unbelievable amount of talent.

Well, not including Crysis, but it's just not fair to compare anything to Crysis.

Why not?  And why even stop at Crysis?  I can think of a lot of games and demos that are more impressive than what that tech demo showed.  All we got to see are two characters, a small room, some standard-fare lighting effects for this generation, and a not-really-detailed open space with some rockets going off in the distance.  Hell, the grass is static and doesn't move despite evidence of wind when a couple of leaves fly by.  This blows away everything you've ever seen?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNHJ-ekMR4

Those are just tech demos, but they are running in real time as well.  There's plenty of games to check out that are more visually stunning than that tech demo on PS3, 360, or PC.
While I think the tech demos you linked to look better than the one produced by Tri-Ace, I still think the demo they made looks good.  I will say that I think the Crytech engine is pretty damn impressive with blur effects in particular.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »

but this blows everything I've ever seen before out of the water.

You serious? I can't believe some people are so impressed by this.

As for the Naughty Dog comparison, it's not about the budget, a lot of games with huge budgets are a technical mess. What they have is people with an unbelievable amount of talent.

Well, not including Crysis, but it's just not fair to compare anything to Crysis.

Why not?  And why even stop at Crysis?  I can think of a lot of games and demos that are more impressive than what that tech demo showed.  All we got to see are two characters, a small room, some standard-fare lighting effects for this generation, and a not-really-detailed open space with some rockets going off in the distance.  Hell, the grass is static and doesn't move despite evidence of wind when a couple of leaves fly by.  This blows away everything you've ever seen?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNHJ-ekMR4

Those are just tech demos, but they are running in real time as well.  There's plenty of games to check out that are more visually stunning than that tech demo on PS3, 360, or PC.
While I think the tech demos you linked to look better than the one produced by Tri-Ace, I still think the demo they made looks good.  I will say that I think the Crytech engine is pretty damn impressive with blur effects in particular.

Let's keep in mind that the Tri-Ace demo is running on PS360 and the Crytek demos on a super PC, Parn posted those videos because Jubby said he had never seen anything like it, not to make a direct comparison.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »

Exactly.  I'm not saying the tri-Ace tech demo is ugly by any means.  I'm just not impressed, and it sure as hell doesn't "blow everything else out of the water".
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »

Tri-Ace finally catching up, tech wise.

Japanese devs are way behind this gen. Hopefully they use that for VP3 or a new IP.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

I don't give a shit what their tech demo looks like if they're going to hire voice actors like the ones they did for Star Ocean 4.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »

I don't give a shit what their tech demo looks like if they're going to hire voice actors like the ones they did for Star Ocean 4.

Yeah, visuals haven't exactly been Tri-Ace's problem.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

I'm goddamn sick of this.  But I'll say it again: aside from a few exceptions, blame the fucking piece of shit, awkward ass, cheesy ass script before you blame the actors.  The actor's did a reasonable job vocalizing the retarded plot and scenarios (ex; trying to escape watching your hot childhood friend shower, by imitating a cat).

And it's true, tri-Ace never had a problem graphically.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

I'm goddamn sick of this.  But I'll say it again: aside from a few exceptions, blame the fucking piece of shit, awkward ass, cheesy ass script before you blame the actors.  The actor's did a reasonable job vocalizing the retarded plot and scenarios (ex; trying to escape watching your hot childhood friend shower, by imitating a cat).

This. Well, maybe blame the VA director, but given the track record of the company that localized SO4 and some of those actors (Laura Bailey) it's pretty clear tri-Ace made an absolute piece of shit that you could only TRY, in vain, to pretty up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:36:35 PM by Eusis » Logged
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

SO4 was an abomination and Tri-Ace is an outdated developer.

No and no, but thanks for playing.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »

Laura Bailey actually did an extremely good job for what she was given.  She does one of the best screams I've heard in gaming during the final scene.

Thirding it was the script.  The Japanese voice acting was just as bad, if not worse in some cases.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

I know this might be somewhat inflammatory, but I sometimes wonder if JRPG fans sticking mainly to consoles (or just wanting more options on consoles) are more desperate for ones worth playing and thus become more accepting of stuff that would've been completely disregarded in prior generations. I suppose it'd be fairest if I played some of these games, but I'm not really willing to throw down $60 on games that don't even look appealing.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »

Everything Tri-Ace makes is horrible.

EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: