Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331938 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who 2011 Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who 2011 Series  (Read 3976 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

I watched it this afternoon (yay internet) and it was great.

Scary and tense and clever and great dialogue. Compare that to shit we got from RTD like the opening with the Adipose and it's a significant difference. Too bad David Tennant didn't stay for an extra year so he could have some good scripts written for him.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »

Saw it today as well! We were really thrown into the story and I enjoyed the episode! Looking forward to the next.

I've only seen a handful of Tennant's episodes so I can't truthfully compare the two Doctors. From what I have seen though, I do feel like the writing's a little better with the current series.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »

We rather liked the Adipose episode. You really can't compare the two because the themes are literally opposite ends of the spectrum. Season 4's OP was done comedy style while 6's is very much tragedy.

In general I have to say this was a pretty good opener. Although the longer I'm exposed to this show the more the characterization continuity issues stand out to me.
Code:
After all we know Amy's pretty much going to be around the rest of the season, despite having just taken a shot at a little girl. With prior Doctors having ditched companions for lesser crimes it just seems kinda...odd.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »

Well, the style and tone are totally different, but the complexity as well. RTD's really good at dialogue but crap at plots. Moffat really likes complex plots, and I prefer his style of writing because the plots don't fall apart at the end.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »

Watched it, loved it. But I only love it as much as how many answers we get from next weeks episode.

I wonder if when it airs in America they will censor this part or just recognize it as a bit of humour,

*Doctor sits in the Presidents chair with guns pointed at him*

Something along the lines of: I broke into the most secure office in Ameirica and parked a big blue box on the carpet and you think you can shoot me?

*River song bursts in*

"They're Americans!"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »

Considering the general interpretation of Americans in all prior seasons I see no reason why that would get censored. Season 3 basically painted our president figure as an arrogant jackal. Season 4 poked fun at the whole "Obama will save the world" propaganda. Heck in Torchwood there are snarky pot shots taken at the fact that Captain Jack is "American" all the time so I wouldn't fret about losing that bit.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »

Not fretting, am just sometimes perplexed when seemingly harmless comments are cut when a show gets transitioned from one place to the next.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »

Eh, that's localization for you. I think it'll pass just fine, then again I have no idea what BBC America's standards are. Can't be any more strict than Sci Fi's was.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »

I DVR'ed this but haven't watched it yet. I'm pretty much clueless as to past seasons/shows/stories...how lost am I gonna be or will I pick it up easily?

Everything's Eventual
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »

A little bit lost. I would recommend going back and watching Season 5 when you have the time. It will fill in some of the gaps.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »

Will do! Thanks! Always wanted to get into the series more (and see if/how much I liked it) because what I have seen I've enjoyed but haven't seen much, will take your advice and try and fill in the gaps.

Everything's Eventual
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

Wow. Just watched tonight's episode, "The Girl Who Waited". I loved this episode so much. I won't spoil much because I know a lot of people outside the UK havn't seen it, but yeah, what a tearjerker.

I can also say, this is probably Karen Gillans best acting.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »

Code:
Fuck the rules of tv and open the damn door. Shit Rory.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »

They're basically doing the 11th Doctor much as the as 7th Doctor was, especially in the Virgin books.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:31 AM »

*golf clap* Bravo Moffat. And here I was about to agree you were better than RTD. You've just given the Doctor a literal equivalent to the Spiderman 3 black-suit Peter Parker dance. Way to paste your character as an emo git for the rest of the season. XP
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: