Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332774 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who 2011 Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who 2011 Series  (Read 3993 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »

???

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »

*golf clap* Bravo Moffat. And here I was about to agree you were better than RTD. You've just given the Doctor a literal equivalent to the Spiderman 3 black-suit Peter Parker dance. Way to paste your character as an emo git for the rest of the season. XP

Have you seen Torchwood: Miracle Day? Yeah, Moffat is the better writer. Though I dunno what you are talking about, I can't remember him being particularly emo recently.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »

Bah, that was a bit of a kneejerk on my part. Blame the admins for not giving us a delete post button for that having survived overnight. XP I'll elaborate for clarification.

Spoilers for "The God Complex"

Code:
The Doctor basically sends Rory and Amy home for good because basically he's afraid of a repeat of what's happened to all of RTD's Doctor companions.

Admittedly, this makes sense. However I still feel (albeit not a strongly now) that the execution of this was done quite poorly.

It felt like a "Spiderman 3" moment. Just out of no where the Doctor is all "Zomg! I know everyone I come into contact with will die a horrible fate. Off you go! ;_; "

I exaggerate a bit, but it really does have that jarring and rushed feel that makes you go "Well...that was highly out of character."

More relevant to the forums it felt like an "Edge Maverick" moment. Hence the initial comparison to "emoing"; as he acted more like a JRPG Protagonist than the Doctor.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »

I'll have to agree with you there, it wasn't done very well.

The thing that got to me the most actually was that he bought them a house and a car. He pretty much dropped Rose in another dimension and said "cheerio", I can't remember what happens to Martha, she was to dull to require the brain room, and Donna got her memory completely wiped with no compensation from him. It was too much, travelling the galaxy and all of time was the reward for being a companion, it doesn't require a pension fund.

The episode was also just not the right one to do it with. Last episode would have made much more sense. I mean, Rory had to basically kill his own wife. That is the sort of thing that will make people decide that enough is enough, but the hotel episode, while good, wasn't the kind of thing to illicit that reaction. So i'm with you on it, but not to your extent. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

About the only thing that's still keeping me from completely locking myself down into that opinion is the very strong possibility that
Code:
the man who traveled with Rory and Amy from "Let's Kill Hitler" to now might not be the Doctor.

Which would explain some of the out of characterness of his actions.

To clarify what I'm referring to watch the opening segment of The God Complex then go back and watch the opening comedic sketch of The Eleventh Hour.

Sure it was more of a throw away joke but it's pretty much fact of this Doctor: #11 hates apples.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »

Oh dude that would be awesome. I'm going to be so disappointed if that's just a mistake.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »

Technically it's the 2013 series now but I am goddamn excited for this

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/neil-gaiman-to-write-doctor-who-episode-cybermen-return-warwick-davis-harry-potter/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

I might give it a look when/if it comes to Netflix but I have to admit Moffat finally made me jump ship by episode 2 this Series.

Code:
I pretty much smelled the rat from Episode 1. The whole 'lets bring Amy and Rory back, never you
mind that their story was pretty nicely cut off at the end of Series 6, JUST so we can make the Doctor
have yet ANOTHER tragic companion loss instead of just letting them stay home and happy.

It was filler, it was pointless, and it was painfully telegraphed. I pretty much wiki followed Series 7 after
Episode 2 and was quite sad to see it turn out as I had expected.

But in fairness to Moffat (hence why I'm willing to give another chance) it felt really either like the Rory/Amy
'second conclusion plot' was executive meddling or contractual obligation. Either way it put a serious dent
in the show's credibility to me. About the second serious dent since Love & Monsters actually got greenlit. XP
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: