Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341111 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Arcana Heart 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Arcana Heart 3  (Read 1902 times)
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:15 AM »

So is anyone else getting this. It's up on PSN, but PSN's down. I'll be downloading it whenever Sony fixes PSN hopefully sometime this week. For anyone who doesn't know what it is it's a 2D fighter with moe girls. My PSN's Shigure_Asa if anyone wants to play it with me when PSN is fixed.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »

My G/F has Arcana Heart for the PS2 not really sure how much she plays although I know she does, I've seen her play several times when she's tired of Blazblue, so I imagine she will HAVE to have 3 when/if she sees it ;)

Everything's Eventual
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »

It's more schoolgirls than moe, but I guess that's splitting hairs.

I imported it when it came out and played it for awhile.  It's fun as a casual fighter because it's fast and the arcana system allows for a many ways to play a single character.  However it's hard for me to take it seriously as a fighting game when super meter generates so fast and *BC super is a really easy braindead easy way to play.

*BC super is a negative term for doing one or two light jabs to hit confirm and then connecting them to a super.  Its Street Fighter equivalent would be having a character like Ryu do two jabs into his ultra.  It probably takes 3 or 4 of these to kill you, but it has the negative connotation that the player is just mashing buttons.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »

when she's tired of Blazblue

impossible

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »

I imported it when it came out and played it for awhile.  It's fun as a casual fighter because it's fast and the arcana system allows for a many ways to play a single character.  However it's hard for me to take it seriously as a fighting game when super meter generates so fast and *BC super is a really easy braindead easy way to play.

*BC super is a negative term for doing one or two light jabs to hit confirm and then connecting them to a super.  Its Street Fighter equivalent would be having a character like Ryu do two jabs into his ultra.  It probably takes 3 or 4 of these to kill you, but it has the negative connotation that the player is just mashing buttons.

I don't really mind it not being serious. I actually prefer it that way, one of the reasons I enjoyed the first one. Yeah i know it's blasphemy to some people, but I like to just play fighting games for fun, I don't care about memorizing a bunch of combos, and just wanna beat the shit out of stuff. Besides I hardly ever play online fighters with anyone but my friends anyways.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »

i got some enjoyment from the first game so i'll be sure to check this one out.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »

I don't really mind it not being serious. I actually prefer it that way, one of the reasons I enjoyed the first one. Yeah i know it's blasphemy to some people, but I like to just play fighting games for fun, I don't care about memorizing a bunch of combos, and just wanna beat the shit out of stuff. Besides I hardly ever play online fighters with anyone but my friends anyways.

Nah it's not blasphemous.  It IS a video game afterall and meant to be enjoyed.  You'll probably enjoy the combo system quite a bit then since you can have fun without learning long combos with fairly strict timing (on the longer combos) button inputs.  Plus just homing around is pretty fun as you can fly as much as you want in AH3 without using meter like it did in the first (and maybe second) game.  The only time you use meter flying is if you cancel a move to stop the animation and continue the combo or to make a move safe.

Plus Heart and Saki are girlfriends =p

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »

Plus Heart and Saki are girlfriends =p

That's actually the reason, Tsuzura_Saki was my gamertag, and a bunch of my other online IDs. Sort of my quiet way of saying. Hey I like girls! Now that I've come out about it I've changed it most places. Though some people still refer to me as Saki on 1up

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:38:38 AM »

she was one of my favorites on the first game. shes pretty and plays like guile/charlie. but in the looks department i prefer Kaumi.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:32:05 AM »

she was one of my favorites on the first game. shes pretty and plays like guile/charlie. but in the looks department i prefer Kaumi.

I loved her long blue hair and the yellow headband goes really well with it, and her and Heart are adorable together. I also thought Kamui was cute, but I always liked Saki better. Saki was my main then it was Lillica, and then Kamui

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »

I loved her long blue hair and the yellow headband goes really well with it, and her and Heart are adorable together. I also thought Kamui was cute, but I always liked Saki better. Saki was my main then it was Lillica, and then Kamui

Saki is still quite good.  She can connect a combo pretty easily to flash kicks which lead to one of her supers.  Definitely can do good damage.  Saki and Heart both are good fighters.

Lilica is also good.  Very fast, really good mixups that can keep your opponent guessing.  With the Punishment arcana (which iirc was renamed for the english release), she has an infinite.  I don't think it's very easy to do though.

Unfortunately, Kamui has been weakened in AH3.  She can be still fun to play casually, but if you are the type of person that likes to keep your opponent guessing, she can't really do that anymore.  It's a shame because a lot of her move animations look like they DO hit low, but they do not.  She's still pretty cool though

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »

However it's hard for me to take it seriously as a fighting game when super meter generates so fast and *BC super is a really easy braindead easy way to play.

This doesn't make sense to me. If a character hits you, you've made this mistake. Regardless of how execution heavy the combo they use after that initial hit, you're still the one who has failed to defend yourself from this allegedly brain dead player. Being able to simply perform combos isn't that impressive in itself and isn't nearly as fundamental to fighting games as being able to open up the opponent for the chance to perform these combos to begin with. Higher damage can still be attained with difficult combos, but Arcana simply removed the necessity of learning them to compete.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »

Makes sense to the Arcana community.  For the record, I'm far from the only one who thinks that.  Good defense or not, spamming jab during combos (defensively) hoping lag makes them drop the combo or fishing for a hit is braindead easy and is little to no risk if you're halfway smart about it.  That's the whole reason it's so prevalent online.  Easy, little risk, and more than decent rewards.

But really, people can do it as much as they like.  It won't win you matches against an experienced player, but that doesn't mean it's not fucking annoying.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:00:18 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

So were changing the issue from combo execution to people spamming online. Is that the best barometer for judging competitive gameplay?

Even guilty gear would be susceptible to crouched 2p during block strings online.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »

It's just going to hold someone back from getting better in the long run since players tend to shape their strategy completely around trying to land it. No oki. No pressure.  It's in the same vein as spamming shoryukens.  It might win you matches against players who don't know any better but it really is just holding you back.  People are free to do it all they want, all I was originally saying was that I dislike it.

And sure, it's possible in Guilty Gear and other FGs as well, but what are you going to do with it in GG?  The gravity, damage scaling, and pushback kick in big time.  If someone wants to try and do 2PP then super I generally would welcome the waste of meter, since dust moves and f/rcs are generally a better use of your meter for most of the cast. Personally, I use D tandem top too much to waste meter on a super.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:23:16 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: