Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338083 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists  (Read 13041 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »

Saw this on the front page this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Just remembering Alys from Phantasy Star 4 made me want to play it again. She was at least the main character for a little while, so I think that counts enough for her to be on the list :P

What did everyone else think? Any one you think might be missing?

Also, I didn't think Yuzu was THAT bad. Not that I can think of anyone else to replace her at the moment xD

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »

Just want to pop in and say, this feature is very near and dear to my heart.  When I first suggested it, many were worried we couldn't fill up a list, but we had an overflow of candidates.  If you guys want more of this, we might be inclined to do a part 2 in the future, where we include the girls who just missed the top ten cut.  In my opinion, the more well-written females we can spotlight the better.  I know this list doesn't get everybody, but if we expand it, this may only be the beginning.  Let me know your thoughts!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »

I'm honestly amazed no one from any of the Gust/NISA/CH's many games made it onto the list; they've made some real stinkers. Especially considering I only found the SO4 cast to be "moderately" annoying. XD A part 2 would be an enjoyable read.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »

Was surprised Lara Croft didn't make it on the Honorable Mentions list. Also, regarding this quote from the Chun-Li writeup:

She is also not a fanservicey sex object. Her outfit offers her full body coverage while allowing free movement of her legs to fight effectively.

Lets be honest here, she usually wears no pants while her moves include a series of fully extended high kicks and an upside down spinning splits. Long story short, almost everything she does involves a panty shot of some sort. Its Japan, you really cant escape it. Over all it was an interesting read though.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

Mad props for April Ryan. I'm surprised you guys omitted Alyx Vance.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »

Oh man, look at these spoilers. Thank god I didn't read the one from April Ryan, I still need to play that game.

Other than that, great job as usual.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »

Was surprised Lara Croft didn't make it on the Honorable Mentions list. Also, regarding this quote from the Chun-Li writeup:

She is also not a fanservicey sex object. Her outfit offers her full body coverage while allowing free movement of her legs to fight effectively.

Lets be honest here, she usually wears no pants while her moves include a series of fully extended high kicks and an upside down spinning splits. Long story short, almost everything she does involves a panty shot of some sort. Its Japan, you really cant escape it. Over all it was an interesting read though.

Yeah I thought that was funny.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »

Paine is my favorite but I'm not surprised you guys didn't vote her in.

And a special lady thought Naoto Shirogane deserved a spot.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »

I might've added Naoto on the best list.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »

I´m glad you guys remembered Raquel Applegate, she deserves to be on the list. Kaine was another obvious choice for me. I know that nobody here will agree with me but I think Lightning deserves to be on the list. Aya is a good character but I think she's overrated, still deserves to make the list though.
Naoto would've been a good pick as well.

No Alyx in the honorable mentions is an epic fail though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:43:14 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

You guys are pointing to a lot of characters who just missed a spot on the list.  This is really why I want to do a part two. :-)

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »

I liked Paine as well, same with Naoto - I wouldn't have (and didn't) vote them in myself though.

CDFN - Actually, Lightning was very close to making it. I voted her in but got lots of opposition.

And Star - Yuzu is WHY I fear the voice acting in the Devil Survivor remake. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »

Kind of feel like a suikoden character belonged in there somewhere, perhaps Nanami from 2, Chris from 3, or... Hazuki from 5 (even if it's just for her awesome unsheath battle entrance alone).

And on the hall of shame, sorry for all the FFIX lovers out there, but Eiko was just...well, shameful.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »

I am surprise that Tear from Tales of the Abyss didn;t made it in.  I think she is a pretty well done female protagonist.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »

Agree with a Suikoden character, I was actually pushing for Lyon her loyalty to the prince and vow to protect him on his journey is very endearing. Lyon is one of my favorite characters, but I'm also a huge Suikoden V fan.

Tear also came to my mind, as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: