Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 01:31:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341280 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists  (Read 13333 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:07:02 PM »

i didnt quite agree with the choice of alys from ps4. the way she melts in front of Rune... it it for a similar reason that i wouldnt of choosen lenneth either frankly she fell out of favor with me when her memories were unsealed. that said if i had to pick one VP character i'd have a hard time choosing between Hrist Freya and Ailyth. Ailyth such a sly dog...litterally.
Code:
Ailyth is garm

from suikoden series i'd probally choose Kika.

also on this topic ive pressed sumbit 3 times =P

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »

By in large, that list was top notch, and touched on one of the biggest concerns of RPG narrative: realistic, 3-dimensional characters. Yeah, Lighting not being there feels like an elephant in the room, but asside from that, I'd give a pass to every one they put up there.

As for the Tales series, actually, I would say that Judith is possibly the most elegible for that slot, a surprisingly well-constructed character in a game with quite a few terrible ones. To me, Judith really embodied a woman who knew she was very sexually attractive, was comfortable with that, but didn't let it rule her personality and judgement. I can't really think of a better example of that. Most of the time, if bombshell woman are portrayed as being intelligent and strong, their personality leaves their sexuality at the door. Nothing wrong with that either, many times it's best to stear clear of sexuality if it's not relivant, but it's nice to see that explored a bit. The flipside, of course, is the sexually obsessed female who flaunts their body any chance they can get, which is obnoxious and cheapen's the character, IMO.

BTW: Is it wrong that the first thing I thought when I saw Kiane on the list was, "wait... does she really count?" (of course she does, but ya know...)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »

BTW: Is it wrong that the first thing I thought when I saw Kiane on the list was, "wait... does she really count?" (of course she does, but ya know...)

You're not the only one, we had a discussion about it as a staff.  And there's so much I want to type, but can't spoil. :-P

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

I'm surprised it really needed to be discussed.

Code:
We're talking about gender and percieved gender. Kiane being hermaphrodidic is a complete afterthought in terms of her gender identity and the audiences perception of her gender. She's such an amazing character too, it would be just wrong to leave her off. It's rare to come across any character, male or female, so unwaveringly ruthless, aggressive, and unequivicaly vulger.

Needless to say, I'd have loved to be in on those discussions.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »

Yeah, Lighting not being there feels like an elephant in the room

Again, I'd argue that Lara Croft, who could easily be considered as the first lady of gaming for a good part of the late 90s and early 00s not being there is the Elephant. Weather you like Tomb Raider or not, there's simply no denying that she made an impact (Heck, even my mother who is over 50 years old and wants nothing to do with gaming knows who she is).

Its all a matter of opinion though. This is their list and while I don't agree with all their choices, and definitely disagree with you about Lightning, its always interesting to read what others think. At the end of the day, its what these writeups are all about.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:24:52 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

I voted for Lara Croft. :-)

Prime:
Code:
There was never a question if she belonged on the list, it was more we knew somebody was going to play the true gender card and try to discredit her, which just sucks.  In the end, she identifies as female, so, to me, she's female.  Kaine earned her spot on this list, and to be honest, she was so refreshing in Nier.  When I played it, I looked at her as the type of female that games are lacking these days.  I'm happy she's on the list.

There is potential part two of this list, honestly, if I could do a weekly column for the site and feature a  standout female, I think I would.  

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

Where's Rinoa on the worst list?
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

Where's Rinoa on the worst list?

Or Alfina from Grandia III. I wanted to hit that girl with a brick.

I could actually add Estelle from LoHTiTS to the best list. She's a genki girl done right, honestly.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »

so what exactly are we calling a good female character here? the reason i bring this up is because someone mentioned Judith and i found her to be an incredibly boring character? are we just talking about female characters that just kick ass and arent mages or healers? if your talking about writting thats not really something i could speak too however many female characters that kick ass tend to fall apart if they happen to fall in love with someone. wich i believe is a huge problem. usually if a female action girl doesnt fall in love with someone its because they used to love someone and that someone died or they gave up because healer/mage girl came along and stole the one she loved. in fact the only female character i can think of off the top of my head that stays consistant throughout the game she appears in is Tifa.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »

so what exactly are we calling a good female character here? the reason i bring this up is because someone mentioned Judith and i found her to be an incredibly boring character? are we just talking about female characters that just kick ass and arent mages or healers? if your talking about writting thats not really something i could speak too however many female characters that kick ass tend to fall apart if they happen to fall in love with someone. wich i believe is a huge problem. usually if a female action girl doesnt fall in love with someone its because they used to love someone and that someone died or they gave up because healer/mage girl came along and stole the one she loved. in fact the only female character i can think of off the top of my head that stays consistant throughout the game she appears in is Tifa.

Are you seriously attempting to imply that a character that has emotional growth and/or loss is somehow poorly written?  Any character, be them male, female, somewhere inbetween needs to have some sort of growth, flaws, etc. otherwise they become a simple one-dimensional stereotype.  The characters that are dynamic tend to be the characters that are beloved the most; those who are stagnant are not.  Feelings change people over time - their reaction to changing stimuli makes them good characters.

One character that I lobbied to make the list was Ashley from Mass Effect.  She's a xenophobic, closed-minded bitch, but she's an incredibly well-written character who you can have an actual impact on.  She can change on the surface, but her core beliefs stay the same.  A character who doesn't change at all just exists to be a stereotype.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »

"Star Ocean: The Last Hope offers a variety pack of exaggerated negative stereotypes of women. Any one of the ladies in that game could earn a spot in our Hall of Shame. However, choosing just one as the worst of the worst was a nigh-impossible task, thus we bestow the dubious honor onto the cast as a whole."

* Bytor applauds loudly and profusely!

I am surprise that Tear from Tales of the Abyss didn;t made it in.  I think she is a pretty well done female protagonist.

* Bytor applauds again

And I often found Yuna from FFX to be worse than Shion, and I what about Chie Satonaka from Persona 4, I actually liked her character development throughout the story.

Everything's Eventual
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »

Or Alfina from Grandia III.

Not that he qualifies of course, but Alfina is overshadowed by how terrible a character her brother is.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 11:18:36 PM »

Star Ocean: The Last Hope offers a variety pack of exaggerated negative stereotypes of women.

Hey, that's not fair. The male characters were just as bullshit, and so was SO3's cast. Come on.

Unironically**, I totally agree on Alis from PS1. Frankly the LACK of exposition helps, I think. I don't think drowning stuff in words is always a good idea*.

Same goes for Lenneth. Obviously VP had a lot more exposition than PS1, but... compared to Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere? Lenneth was the way better valkyrie.

Also just wanna give a non-RPG shoutout to Alpha Centauri's female cast. Even when you hate them it's because they're well-rounded and interesting. Or because they're nuking you w/e.

* Irony noted. Shut up.
** I have other female protagonists I thought were pretty cool unironically but I'd get shunned for mentioning them so I won't.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »

Or Alfina from Grandia III.

Not that he qualifies of course, but Alfina is overshadowed by how terrible a character her brother is.

Actually, maybe we should just go on record to say most of the cast of Grandia III was horrible. Except maybe Miranda and Alfonso. Maybe.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »

I might've added Naoto on the best list.

Naoto was incredibly underdeveloped thanks to being acquired so late in the game. Both Chie and Yukiko are much better characters, though I admit Naoto had much greater potential simply due to her particular circumstances.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: