Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341001 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists  (Read 13306 times)
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »

We can include cyborgs, androids, and AI?

I Nominate glaDos

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

WHY THE FUCK DO SO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE HATE SHION? i think she is kinda cool but clearly im an alien from another planet and you foolish humans will never understand my logic.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »

In that regard I don't really think KOS-MOS was all that great, and while Aigis is better she didn't leave too big of an impression on me. But yeah, ones like GlaDOS deserve honorary mention, but a large chunk of that is thanks to Portal 2 which JUST came out.

WHY THE FUCK DO SO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE HATE SHION? i think she is kinda cool but clearly im an alien from another planet and you foolish humans will never understand my logic.

... Uhhh, wow.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

WHY THE FUCK DO SO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE HATE SHION?

Might have something to do with the fact that the first hour or two of the game our introduction to here includes extreme social abuse of her "friend/co-worker" as well as constantly putting herself and others in dire mortal peril for practically no good reason with context of the dialog indicating she's done this multiples times in the past and isn't the slightest bit apologetic or even phased by near death experiences?

First impression like that is one hell of a hump to overcome; yet her progression is virtually nil by the time Game 1 ends.

As a tabletop gamer she reminds me of that one player who will intentionally lob a fireball at a fire dragon while everyone else is trying to formula a plan and gets everyone else killed. Unlike tabletop gaming you can't just kick Shion out of the party or stuff her in the bag of holding until needed.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »

There are plenty of Shion supporters out there.  The hatemail I've gotten and some of the comments I've seen on the RPGFan Facebook prove it.  In some ways it seems like the very reasons I and others abhor her are the same reasons why some people adore her.  The funniest was a Shion defender admitting that her development does get progressively worse over the course of the trilogy.  Way to shoot yourself in the foot there, bucko.  

Whatever creams their Twinkies I guess.  

EDIT: And MindCandy- if we're going that route, then definitely Fatima Doohan from Anachronox gets a nod.  Speaking of Anachronox, I like Dr. Rho Bowman too.  You don't see too many well-portrayed black women in RPGs, and Rho is great.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:22:27 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »

i think you could of choosen a better metaphor >_>

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »

There are plenty of Shion supporters out there.  The hatemail I've gotten and some of the comments I've seen on the RPGFan Facebook prove it.  In some ways it seems like the very reasons I and others abhor her are the same reasons why some people adore her.  The funniest was a Shion defender admitting that her development does get progressively worse over the course of the trilogy.  Way to shoot yourself in the foot there, bucko.  

EDIT: And MindCandy- if we're going that route, then definitely Fatima Doohan from Anachronox gets a nod.  Speaking of Anachronox, I like Dr. Rho Bowman too.  You don't see too many well-portrayed black women in RPGs, and Rho is great.  

Your current post count is somewhat applicable for this thread.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »

Alisha- Nah.  "Whatever floats their boats" or "I guess there's no accounting for taste" are boring.  The Twinkie idiom is fun.  Granted, it's fun because people's minds immediately go into the gutter and think about everything except snack cakes with frosting on the inside.  

Aeolus- Not any more, bub.  It's 8009 now!  You get your mind out of the gutter too!  Naughty naughty!

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »

You're not an alien. You're just different. Just cause an opinion article on a game site says something doesn't mean you're supposed to agree with it. I liked both Reimi, and Meracale, and that article pretty much tore them to shreds. Not to knock the editors here, but most of the opinion articles like this (that i've read) here I strongly disagree with.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »

That's what makes for interesting reading though, the differences in opinion, after all if we all liked the same games there wouldn't be as much diversity in games! And I as I stated earlier I didn't find Shion to be that bad, now Meracle...she got on my nerves in so many ways, lol.

Everything's Eventual
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »

I don't understand why you'd think that a character that exemplifies some of the worst qualities a person can have without being an outright villain is 'cool.' She's selfish, stupid, and abusive, and stands for everything that a person shouldn't be.

I mean, she has literally no redeeming qualities in my eyes, honestly.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:41:42 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2011, 08:47:10 PM »

Nice metaphor.I think I will steal it >:D

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »

Lazlowe- I myself already stole it from an old college buddy.  Heh.

Ley- Unless you're having fun, that battle isn't worth fighting.  Dude, she gave a thumbs up to Shion and a thumbs down to Alys (see page 2.)  Now, I try to be kind, tactful, diplomatic, and exercise professional decorum, but this was one case where this scene from Billy Madison ran through my head and I called it a night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »

Was never too big a fan of KOS-MOS. Too dull for my tastes. I thought Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man had more personality.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »

Was never too big a fan of KOS-MOS. Too dull for my tastes. I thought Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man had more personality.

This is a large part of why I don't really think KOS-MOS is a great robot character. Aigis clearly grows some over the game, but KOS-MOS just has more human moments every so often. It doesn't come off as actual development, just pulling it out whenever dramatic enough.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: