Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334627 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Female Protagonists  (Read 12788 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »

Very well said, I feel the exact way in this instance.

Everything's Eventual
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »

Momo was my favorite Xenosaga character. Though the pink hair could have something to do with it.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Momo can rot with the Star Ocean 4 cast.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2011, 12:20:20 AM »

Mystic powers grant me a miracle!

Time to barf.

Also, I hated KOS-MOS.  She was one big deus ex machina.  There was no sense of purpose to her design, just whatever random crap the developers felt like throwing at you at that moment.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »

Was never too big a fan of KOS-MOS. Too dull for my tastes. I thought Robin Williams in Bicentennial Man had more personality.

This is a large part of why I don't really think KOS-MOS is a great robot character. Aigis clearly grows some over the game, but KOS-MOS just has more human moments every so often. It doesn't come off as actual development, just pulling it out whenever dramatic enough.

Plus they're more of the robot archetype rather than just female. It's like saying that ST:TNG's Data belongs on the best male RPG characters list of all time (it may have been an awful SuperNES game but dammit if it didn't have RPG elements to that whole away team business, plus he totally made that mine dungeon a joke). Although granted, he wouldn't win, but still the tl;dr is whether or not people would even consider him to be a male more than an android to begin with.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »

Here's a question; considering how people keep complaining about Xenosaga's cast, how did the 3rd game wind up on the "Top 20 RPG's of the Decade' list? (FYI: I played the series too, but it's been so long that I can't remember it as well as I'd like. And coincidentally, the more memorable a work is, the better I remember it, so maybe XS wasn't all that anyway...)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »

Here's a question; considering how people keep complaining about Xenosaga's cast, how did the 3rd game wind up on the "Top 20 RPG's of the Decade' list? (FYI: I played the series too, but it's been so long that I can't remember it as well as I'd like. And coincidentally, the more memorable a work is, the better I remember it, so maybe XS wasn't all that anyway...)

There's a LOT more to a game than its characters. Hell, there's more to a story than its characters, though it's not as if XS3 is as offputting as SO4 there anyway.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »

Why do so many people like Mitsuru?
It may just be since I only played P3 quite a while ago but thinking back, she seemed too condescending.
I'd probably nominate Aigis.
I never remember Shirley being presented as a Mary (Sue) at all, just a naive and stupidly fragile Princess Peach.
How far in was it she threatened to kill everyone?
I would nominate Chloe.
AND SHION.
I really never noticed that she was any of those things, but I do hate that she was so easily manipulated by Kevin.
I love that Episode 3 had a (mostly) ensemble cast so each main character feels about equally important.
Code:
Jin dying makes me cry each time, maybe just because I used him most.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »

2nd best is Heather from Silent Hill 3.

Very realistic design and personality. A lead character doesn't have to be cool or kick-ass to be good. Like April Ryan for example. Not something you can easily find in a JRPG.

Have to go back to this post with this. Not exactly what I would call a great example of female protagonisting.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

Y'know shouldn't Mitsuru technically be a Mary Sue? I mean she's top of her class, gives speeches better than even the staff, head of student counsel, heir to a vast fortune, is considered the "best looking" in game, and her only "negative" aspect in life is a "past" which more effects her father and Yukari than it effects her.

It's been a while since I played P3 so someone remind me what faults this character had to cancel out the Mary Sue elements.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »

One thing that just occured to me about Shion is that, even though it doesn't quite justify her character, she had no meaningful relationships in her past, with the exception of her parents who died when she was little, and her boyfriend who's name escapes me right now, who also died horribly. She may have been designed with an inability to have a meaningful relationship.

Pretty much every female character from the Digital Devil Saga games is pretty good as well.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »

Back to Wild Arms female leads:

I have to agree with those that found Virginia to be weak. I was pretty unimpressed with how they handled her. There's some weird hypocracy in her character model that just doesn't add up. Other characters tend to treat her as a strong leader, but I found myself thinking she was uncharasmatic and indecisive. She just didn't have very strong leadership skills, yet all the other characters follow her lead as if she does. I just didn't buy it. Not to mention, I do think she falls into the same problem as many female characters do, where as they develop, they become less emotionally strong. When you first meet her, she's a badass vigilante, but as the game progresses, she's prone to devolving into sorrowfull Daddy's Girl. I'm not saying that it isn't realistic for a character to become emotional over personal events like that, but it's possible to have a character show emotion without becoming weaker. A good example is Chris from SuikoIII, who goes through similar (if not worse) personal issues, is obviously shaken by them, but remains strong.

Raquel, on the other hand, was exceptional. Great concept, great execution (I really need to finish the game one day, and find out what happens to her!). Strange, because so much of that game's characters, dialog, and plot, is aweful. The leads are terrible, and I found the villain to have some of the most trite, unrealistic dialog a game could have. Any adult who rattles on about "what it means to be an adult" has some major maturity issues. I felt like I was being beaten over the head with maturity themes that didn't make any sense.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »

I don't see Mitsuru as a Mary Sue at all.  I mean, yes, academically and "professionally" she's damn near perfect, but in terms of interpersonal relationships, she's not that great.  She's bossy, domineering, and brusque in her social graces to a fault.  Decisiveness and confidence are great, but I would have a hard time following a leader as bossy, domineering, and somewhat lacking in tact as she is.  Again, being hard-nosed isn't necessarily bad, but there is that old saying of attracting more flies with honey than vinegar, and she was all vinegar to me.  Personally, I didn't like Mitsuru very much, but that's just me.  I'm probably in the minority.  I'm not the biggest tsundere fan, and Mitsuru is a tsundere to me.  My personal favorite of the P3 females was Yuko Nishiwaki- the strength s-link. 

Then again, games like P3 and P4 almost force you to make your main a "Marty Sue."  One time I tried making my P3 character an idiot slacker, but doing so locked me out of at least 75% of the content, so I had to make him an academian again.  You have to be an athlete, a scholar, a ladies man, everything or you basically get nothing out of the games. 

And even coming back to taste, like I said in my Memories Off review, I didn't really like Shion Futami, yet she's the most popular fan favorite among the Memories Off faithful.  Go figure, huh?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »

I don't see Mitsuru as a Mary Sue at all.  I mean, yes, academically and "professionally" she's damn near perfect, but in terms of interpersonal relationships, she's not that great.  She's bossy, domineering, and brusque in her social graces to a fault.  Decisiveness and confidence are great, but I would have a hard time following a leader as bossy, domineering, and somewhat lacking in tact as she is.  Again, being hard-nosed isn't necessarily bad, but there is that old saying of attracting more flies with honey than vinegar, and she was all vinegar to me.  Personally, I didn't like Mitsuru very much, but that's just me.  I'm probably in the minority.  I'm not the biggest tsundere fan, and Mitsuru is a tsundere to me.  My personal favorite of the P3 females was Yuko Nishiwaki- the strength s-link. 

Nah, I'm on with this too.  I'm not a fan.  She's to strict and one-tracked to be really likable.  She softens up a bit, but again, she wasn't much fun.  Another Tsundere, Luca from ArTone2 was at least cheerful and sweet before the hard-hitting emotions started to pent up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »

Another Tsundere, Luca from ArTone2 was at least cheerful and sweet before the hard-hitting emotions started to pent up.

How in the hell is Luca a tsundere?!  She starts out completely dere, and only later do you find out that she has some serious issues to deal with.  If Luca is a tsundere then the term has truly lost all meaning...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: