Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327291 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dirge of Cerberus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dirge of Cerberus  (Read 3510 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:14 PM »

So, review up, anyone happen to snag a shipping-day copy of the title?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 11:10:11 AM »

I've learned something in my stay here at the 'Fan...and that is I have very similar tastes to yours, Johnno.

Dirge of Cerberus will be one game I snag in the bargain bin in a year or two. Thanks for saving me the money.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:50 AM »

While there've been some games I liked that John didn't, I'm definitely taking to heart what he's said about DoC. What I keep hearing reminds me of all the reasons LoI bored me. :P

Edit: Took a look at the review on 1up too. That's just further reinforcing my lack of interest.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:16 AM »

The game is a great rental if you played through all of FFVII.  The gameplay is really, really generic, as are the environments and enemies, but the story does considerable things to flesh out Vincent's backstory.  It's not as good of a story as, say, Dreamfall, but it's still good.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »

I knew this wouldn't live up to the hype. Stop making the FFVII spin offs! =/

"Oh, a hunter..."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »

The "hype" of DoC hasn't been all that powerful to begin with. Discounting Square-Enix's pitch of it of course, since you can't really expect a company NOT to promote something like this.

Still, the online gaming community's been rife with jokes of "Vincent May Cry" and whatnot for awhile now. No one but the staunch fans have been expecting this to be a prime piece of product.

Still, I have to say I'm interested. Despite John's review, some of the game does sound quite nice. Plus it's Vincent; I just can't resist that. Shelling out for it? No. Renting it? Oh yeah.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »

I'd like to say I'm a huge fan of FF7, but I watched a friend play the import version and I was really underwhelmed. Sure, they've gone and made improvements but it's not enough to make up for the sheer mediocrity. The review here is pretty spot-on with what's what.

As for purchasing, I can wait till it becomes cheaper simply to compliment the Final Fantasy shrine I have going. There isn't enough to compel me to buy this at full price, even on the twilight of the summer gaming drought.

Good luck next time, Squeenix.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:26:24 PM »

I don't think that's wholy accurate Mark, at least not until it was released in Japan. I know I remained hopeful that it'd be good, and I figure most of us were too.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »

Leaving aside the Kingdom Hearts series (and depending on whom you ask possibly Einhaender, Tobal and Dew Prism), Square Enix has never been outstanding when it comes to action-oriented games, though. Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi, Ehrgeiz (developed by Dream Factory, I know), Cyber Org, Parasite Eve 2 and The Bouncer are all good examples and I don't even want to bring up about those terrible racing games :P. So I'm not terribly surprised about Dirge of Cerberus. At least it was a commercial success, as the Final Fantasy VII brand name helped the game to sell more than 500,000 copies in Japan.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »

I'm going to try to rent it today if possible.  Yeah, I'm expecting mediocre gameplay but pretty much every review said that the story is at least midly interesting and that's the main reason I want to play.  I'm certainly not going to pay $60 for it but I want to try it just out of curiousity.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »

I have waited for far better games to drop down to 15/20 USD to buy them in Ebay, which usually takes 18/24 months to occur, so I am certainly not rushing to get this one.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »

I'll definitely wait for this game to go down in price.  This game really doesn't interest me at all to play except for storyline.  I can wait.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 06:38:28 PM »

Actually, I thought Bushido Blade was fantastic, or at least the first one. And BFM was flawed, but overall pretty good.

I didn't much care for Ehgeriz and rarely heard good about The Bouncer though.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »

wasnt the bouncer a dream factory project too? =P i swear i remember reading that the bouncer was the reason SE parted ways with dream factory. while i enjoyed ergheiz i've never played the bouncer.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

I thought Bushido Blade was generally considered to be a fantastic game (haven't actually played it).  Oh and Parasite Eve 2 is an excellent old school survival/horror game in the vein of Resident Evil 2; I enjoyed it substantially more than Parasite Eve 1 (I'm a sucker for survival/horror).  Also don't forget the better Seiken Densetsu games, excellent Action/RPGs.  Square can definitely make a good action game; it's just hit and miss with them.

Back on topic, the Japanese reviews were all saying that Dirge of Cerberus was a mediocre game with excellent FMV sequences so I'm not surprised that the US version is the same.  I might pick it up if I see it in the bargain bins.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: