Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319175 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I need some help to get initiated, lol.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: I need some help to get initiated, lol.  (Read 3667 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

Superior's undoubtedly debatable, but you can just combine that with my PSP suggestion so you can see two opposite extremes for Lunar 1.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:26:51 PM by Eusis » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »

From what I've played, the PS1 Lunar is the best version. The PSP really took a dive in voice acting and dialog.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »

Just ignore the fuck out of Lunar Legends.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »

Thank everyone so much for your wonderful suggestions. I looked into the games everyone recommended and ended up buying:

SRPG: Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

WRPG: Baldur's Gate I, Gothic I, Gothic II

As for PSX classic I'll definitely buy Lunar when my birthday comes next month and I have money.

I'm still a little bit undecided on the Action RPG front. I went to the mall the other day and they have both Kingdom Hearts for really cheap. Are they any good?
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

Thank everyone so much for your wonderful suggestions. I looked into the games everyone recommended and ended up buying:

SRPG: Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

WRPG: Baldur's Gate I, Gothic I, Gothic II

As for PSX classic I'll definitely buy Lunar when my birthday comes next month and I have money.

I'm still a little bit undecided on the Action RPG front. I went to the mall the other day and they have both Kingdom Hearts for really cheap. Are they any good?

Gothic 1 and 2 are both action RPGs btw so your bases are sort of 2x covered 2x.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »

Ah, ok. Thank you for the info, Mesh. It's great, then, because I'll have 7 games to play now and during vacations. I will be really busy then for the next few months! Thank you so much everyone.

I just created my character in Baldur's Gate, and the intro and just about everything else brought a smile to my face. I can't believe I hadn't played a WRPG before. It's very different from a JRPG but it's just as good in every way. I think that just for the heck of it. I'll create a second character, see which I like the most and then stick with the file of that character. I just love how traditional everything is (not that innovation is a bad thing at all). I know Baldur's Gate is a really old game that people already have beaten a thousand times and everything but since I'd never played a game like that before it all feels so fresh to me, even though it might look to some of the most expert RPG players as if I'd been living under a rock. And I know that even long after I beat it, I'll still like this kind of game because from the first impression I got these are games capable of aging well.

Thank you everyone, for giving me something to really enjoy.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »

If you like Baldur's check out Icewind Dale. I love that game. It's basically the same thing for all intents and purposes

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »

Seriuosly, check out Ys VI. It's cheap and really good, you may like Kingdom Hearts but I personally found at least the first one boring.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »

Ys VI is really simplistic so just a heads up there. Also Icewind Dale is good but really low on the plot.

Actually IWD is almost more of a strategy-RPG in how it progresses.

o/` I do not dream o/`

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »

Superior's undoubtedly debatable, but you can just combine that with my PSP suggestion so you can see two opposite extremes for Lunar 1.

Lunar has to be the only franchise where the remakes are more fondly remembered than the originals.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »

Lunar has to be the only franchise where the remakes are more fondly remembered than the originals.

Depends on how loose you want to be and if you want to include ports there, but either way it's the inevitable result of the original games being on a system that next to no one actually had.

... And I do admit, it gets grating to see something like Silver Star Harmony billed as "remake of the PS1 classic" given that it's not only a remake itself but not even on its native platform (Saturn), but that doesn't matter much for marketing and SSH is a hell of a lot closer to the 32-bit version than the 16-bit one.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »

In general, what's the difference between Tactics Ogre PSP and FFTA:WoL?  Watched a gameplay video of Tactics Ogre and it seems pretty similar gameplay wise.  Went to look up a review on RPGFan for Tactics Ogre PSP and there was none.

I swore it was reviewed here, but maybe I've lost my mind. Well, check out Jeremy Parish's review on 1up. One of the most notable changes is that you level up classes rather than characters, so new recruits can be immediately usable, even if earning skill points is another matter entirely.

Interesting.  I checked out RPGamer's review as well and the whole leveling up as a class seems odd but it seems like a worthwhile investment.

From what I've played, the PS1 Lunar is the best version. The PSP really took a dive in voice acting and dialog.

Oh my god Nall's voice went from kind of cute to incredibly irritating.  The music starting and stopping everytime you enter a building, next part of map, or anything was annoying as hell.  Also while difficulty is subjective, Lunar PSP is easily one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played.  That game would have really benefited from a difficulty level.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »

I never think a game being too easy is a flaw, I'll take an easy RPG any day over one that's extremely hard. I preferred Nall's voice in the PSP version over his squeaky voice in the PSX version.

By the way I really wouldn't recommend the Baldur's Gate games since I tried the first one but it became one of few RPGs I ended up not finishing (too expensive to revive dead characters, schizophrenic difficulty). Saved computer RPGs my ass.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:58:19 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »

Lunar: TSSSC's battle system actually requires a fair degree of strategy which i liked a lot. There's still some grind in the game I guess, but... actually strategy too, so it's acceptable.

BTW i remember people complaining about the game's length, but I don't recall it being particularly short.

By the way I really wouldn't recommend the Baldur's Gate games since I tried the first one but it became one of few RPGs I ended up not finishing (too expensive to revive dead characters, schizophrenic difficulty).

This is something I agree with. I usually like harder RPGs but BG felt... I don't know sort of bullshittish in its difficulty. Quests were sort of all over the place, the game required a pretty good knowledge of D&D mechanics, it seemed, and uh... BG2 at least had this really obnoxious tendency of just totally inundating you with sidequests. It's like Navi in OoT only she's telling you to go to every dungeon at the same time and there's 30 dungeons.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

I never think a game being too easy is a flaw, I'll take an easy RPG any day over one that's extremely hard.

This is something that's very case by case. Being excessively easy IS the lesser of two evils, at least in that case I can actually beat the game. However, depending on the game's design it can also be very, very boring. Take Kirby Epic Yarn, I don't see that as a problem being overly easy, it's just fun to go through. An RPG with a high number of slow battles on the other hand is a problem, those two points are bad enough as it is but combine that with no difficulty and it becomes tedious and mind numbing. Then of course there's the whole genuine difficulty versus cheap design angle.

As for Baldur's Gate: Uhh, different strokes for different folks. I enjoyed my time with it but admittedly never got around to finishing it and may skip to BGII, and BGII's expansion addresses your death complaint given
Code:
you're pretty much on the cusp of becoming a GOD, so death becomes a trivial problem you can fix for your allies.
Actually, going by what I read of Throne of Bhaal that sounds like the turning point towards Bioware's current design choices.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:29:21 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: