Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 04:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341302 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Should Random Battles Be Done Away With?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Should Random Battles Be Done Away With?  (Read 8650 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »

Well, in some games it makes total sense for battles to remain random, like Pokemon for example.

I don't believe that seeing enemies on the map is that much big of an improvement, but I do appreciate this.

Really, the thing that bugs me is the slowdown it adds to the game due to the setup, which is present in most RPGs regardless of its battle system.

I hated Pokemon random battles - there were way too many, and they loved attacking me in the *last* patch of grass before I was free.  x(

I hate random battles, I'd rather see what I'm getting into.

Then use a repel. I mean, Pokemon is unique because you need to explore and do random battles to catch things, but the game also gives you a way to turn them off.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »

(like to savepoints, another feature that needs to die)

This is one I largely agreed with about 5-10 years ago, for handheld titles anyway, but it looks the other popular alternative is an automatic single save, so you don't get a good handle on how far you'll be set back if you decided to exit the game. If that's what I have to look forward to, then please keep save points.

There's also the angle of avoiding some glitches, but they could use a system similar to Tales of Eternia for that where you had load crystals that your game would restart from when you load a save, but you can perform the save anywhere.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »

Random battles aren't too bad, just so long as they aren't every three steps you take.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

Actually something else: the automatic saving DOES work fine for some games, namely linear shooters like Halo, Gears of War, or Call of Duty, though I'd still prefer some more control there. For games that get more non-linear or at least have more character building however like Shadow Complex and especially Costume Quest it gets frustrating, I don't want to HAVE to complete(/accept?) a quest in CQ just to save my damn game!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »

I don't have a big problem with save points, especially if they make them useful like in FFX where it healed all of your HP/MP completely in addition to the save.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »

I think save points are great and should not be done away with. I think Saga Frontier 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and Final Fantasy XIII all made excellent usage of save points. The problem with the save anywhere anytime system of, say, Bethesda games is that you can save yourself into a trap that you can't get out of or is incredibly annoying to get out of much more easily. Also, restricting where you can save increases the challenge of games, which I think is a good thing. But really it depends on the style of game you're playing. I'm actually rather dismayed how so many people think should be only one way to do battles or save points. Certainly some ways are better than others, but depending on the context of the rest of the game there are many options. Random battles or nearly random battles still have a place in gaming, even if that place is dwindling.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »

I'm actually rather dismayed how so many people think should be only one way to do battles or save points.

Part of why I said largely agree earlier. Even before automated saving started to become the norm I could easily see certain types of games being better for save points, and that it's one of the safest ways to ensure the saves are safe. That, and it serves as a warning for boss battles, but that can easily be broadcasted to the player in other ways like MegaTen does.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »

This just occurred to me. Are there any RPGs that implement a use of part random battles part seeing the enemy on the field and choosing to fight it? Because I'm thinking a pretty nice mixture would be like, for the world map, enemies can be seen and then it's up to the player to fight it or not. But, say for dungeons or whatever, random battles would be put into place. That way there's a breather from constant battling, but at the same time there's at least random battles for parts of the game so when it comes time to face a boss, the player isn't way underleveled by deciding to bypass everything.

Do you think that sort of system would work or ultimately be a failure? And if there are RPGs that utilize that system already, can anyone name drop so I can try out these RPGs?

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

This just occurred to me. Are there any RPGs that implement a use of part random battles part seeing the enemy on the field and choosing to fight it? Because I'm thinking a pretty nice mixture would be like, for the world map, enemies can be seen and then it's up to the player to fight it or not. But, say for dungeons or whatever, random battles would be put into place. That way there's a breather from constant battling, but at the same time there's at least random battles for parts of the game so when it comes time to face a boss, the player isn't way underleveled by deciding to bypass everything.

Lufia II does this, but the other way round - random encounters on the world map with visible enemies in dungeons.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »

These days I won't even bother playing an RPG if it has random battles. That doesn't mean I think they should go, because there are clearly people who still enjoy them. I'm just not one of them.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

It depends on how its implemented, constant random battles are a pain in the ass, but done right they can be fairly painless.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »

I like the way the Ar Tonelico series does them. There are a limited number of random encounters in an area, and when the bar is empty, you can explore the area without having to worry about them.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »

Wild Arms does them fairly well. Depending on which game you play its a little different, weather its being warned a battle is approaching or cleansing a save point to turn them off entirely. Suikoden also does it well. A simple rune that ignores all battles that the game deems to simple for your party. Replacing "run away" with "let go", little things but they make random encounters all that much less annoying.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »

the 'run away" feature is one that annoys me, that is it annoys me when it only provides me with a chance of escaping, or perhaps I'll get the shit kicked out of me for one turn and then escape. I hate that, either let me have the function and actually escape or don't provide it as a "possible" option. mini rant over.

Everything's Eventual
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »

part of my FF12 love is from no random battles and no interruption from a battle transition. I can run away from enemy just by running away, I can pick what enemies I want to fight and avoid others, and I can run back to a save point easily without worry about being bogged down by an endless tide of random battles.

Random battles have been outdated for me since Chrono Trigger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: