Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341083 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Osama Bin Laden is dead.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden is dead.  (Read 6868 times)
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »

Honestly, I'm a little weirded out by all the "rah, rah, we got him!" posts(not here. On FB and such). Sure, the guy was evil, and the world is better off without him, but I just can't get excited about it. I think I'm just so sick of killing, in general. So many people die everyday, and we stupid humans go through great pains to increase the # exponentially. I understand the whole "kill or be killed" thing, but why must it be that way? Ridiculous.

Totally agree, GR. Gloating over his death by dancing in the streets makes us look just as crazed as the radicals that do the same. Celebrating death is never good.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »

I agree, I think it IS creepy how we are celebrating the death of someone.  But tell that to the people who's lives were changed/ruined by the loss of a loved one, and especially the innocent people who died during 9/11.  I guess to the American people, his death is a sort of closure?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »

Kinda interesting that his death is almost after 10 years since 9/11.

29 / Gamer / Collector / Certified Nerd

Currently Playing - Samurai Warriors 4 (PS4)
Waiting On - Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O (PS4), Final Fantasy XV (PS4), Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox, The Legend of Zelda, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »

I'm not a ra-ra-ra we got him guy waving flags and shit but I'm not against all that either.

We didn't bomb the hell out of a place and kill bystanders. We used a tactical squad to go and take out one of the biggest symbols against western culture and the free world and a man responsible for death and murder all over the world in a efficient manner. Not only that but they disposed of his body in a respectful manner. He wasn't strung up on a lampost or paraded around washington d.c.

Celebrate his death if it suites you.

His death should mean closure to more than just americans. He's targeted people all over the world.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »

Nicely said, Yoda.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »

yup
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »

All you need is a witty closer like "We got him, everyone. God bless us all", and then a small catwalk to walk off of while playing Guile's theme.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »

@ Death celebration:

It's weird but probably necessary for America to move on as a country.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 05:01:16 PM »

I heard a hilarious montage of all the retarded speculation the news shows were making before the president's announcement. Trying to find it... very funny
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »

1. Youtube "Suck a Cheetah's Dick"

2. Osama is deaaaaaaad, Osama is deaaad.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »

I just shot a "Man on the Street" with one of my coworkers for the 6 o'clock news. There were a number of people who said "we shouldn't be celebrating the fact that we killed someone". But unfortunately, every one of them was affraid of saying it on camera. So we mostly got the "ra ra ra" crowd along with a (surprisingly large) number of conspiricy theorists. It was kind of telling that one of the most eliquent things we got on camera was made by a mentally retarded woman (I kid you not). We even had one person said, "We may have killed him, but he's still in the white house, if you know what I mean."

The reporter and I were both of the "let's not celebrate" mindset, so we were kinda let down that noone would say that on camera (and quite a few said that off the record). Although, I have to agree with Yoda on this, too, I think it was generally a good thing and the way the government and military handled it was very admirable. I'm not a complete pacifist, but I just think it's bad for the human spirit to start cheering at someone's death. I have no problem with him actually being killed at all, the world is better off with him having been killed, I just think it's wrong to feed our blood-thirsty aggression by cheering it on.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »

<Barack Obama> Justice has been done.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »

I view it similarly to putting down a rabid dog; it's something that needed to be done, and IS a relief to have the threat eliminated, but it's not something to celebrate, at least not in the way that some people are doing. I'm mostly glad we finally can put this behind us.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »

I just shot a man on the street with one of my coworkers. There were a number of people who said "we should be celebrating the fact that we killed someone". But unfortunately, every one of them was affraid of a mentally retarded woman (I kid you not).

I don't know why I did this but I did
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:46 PM »

Oh hey a serious post.

@PM. I don't think people are celebrating the death of Bin Laden in the sense that they're celebrating the death of a person but rather that they're celebrating the death of an icon or a symbol embodied by Bin Laden. Or... this isn't just the death of Bin Laden, this is kind of the death of 9/11 as a whole thing that's been preventing America from functioning as a reasonable society for almost ten years.

John Stewart probably said it best and I'm paraphrasing him, but he said that for the past decade Osama's been the face of the Middle East in the US, and now the face of the Middle East in the US is that of the people in Egypy and Tunisia who demanded democracy.

I think it's the death of a concept that people are celebrating and not the death of a person.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: