Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327445 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Guardian Heroes remake coming to XBLA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Guardian Heroes remake coming to XBLA  (Read 6946 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »

What da fuck indeed...maybe it's a timed thing?

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »

I really need to go play the Saturn version....NOW!  Its right in front of me too! :(

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »

So how many of you still own your Saturn? A scart to component box makes things ok on hdtv. Guardian Heroes is a classic, and i retract my comment from the radiant SG thread, Original is better.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »

I just recently bought a Saturn, I truly missed out on a great console in the 90's and if I did own one then, I would own Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragonforce and Shining Force for the regular price.  The prices for all of those on eBay are scary.....

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »

I just recently bought a Saturn, I truly missed out on a great console in the 90's and if I did own one then, I would own Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragonforce and Shining Force for the regular price.  The prices for all of those on eBay are scary.....

I bought one, though I can't say I really regreted it those were some very frustrating times for sega fans thanks to sega's endless incompetence. Everyone had to move on to the psone eventually. Most of the machine's best games either never made it out of Japan or were cancelled halfway through production.
While saturn owners were getting a wathered down version of resident evil 1, psone owners were playing RE2 and already looking forward to RE3.
Not only did the so called FF7 killer (grandia) stay in Japan, but to add insult to injury it ended up coming to the West on the psone. Then came the news that episodes 2 and 3 of the shining force 3 trilogy wouldn't see the light of day in the West either. Meanwhile the psone was getting FF8, xenogears, chrono cross, vagrant story and later FF9. Not to mention other games like MGS and gran turismo, which were like a generational leap over anything that was available on the saturn. As good as PDS was this shit was ridiculous.

The few ports the saturn got were terrible. Wipeout didn't look nearly as good, the saturn version of doom was the worst ever, etc. But wait! The saturn rocked when it came to 2D so we were all rubbing our hands in anticipation for all those amazing 2D fighters like x-men vs street fighter. Then sega said: lol, GTFO noobs, Japan only.
I almost threw my saturn out the window.
Meanwhile, Richard Leadbetter was doing his best to keep morale high through the official sega saturn magazine but it was an inglorious battle. I still hold on to those mags because his effort of trying to convince people that the saturn was the superior machine was simply amazing.

Then the dreamcast was announced and sega was telling us: hey look, remember those games that we promised but never delivered like a 3D sonic and virtua fighter 3? They're right here! You just need to buy this new console!

Fortunately I had so much catching up to do on the psone that I didn't buy into the hype and it was with little surprise that I saw the dreamcast meet the same fate, despite once again having an excellent line-up of games in the early days. I was lucky though because a friend of mine bought it which allowed me to play all those great games.
When all was said and done on both the psone and the dreamcast I moved on to the PS2, which for me turned out to be the best console ever.

Bottom line is: people these days say that the saturn was an amazing machine and though that was true during the initial 18 months of the 32 bit era, the psone completely destroyed it. Early adopters like myself eventually had to resign to the fact that sega had left them in the cold and that the psone was the machine to own.

God damn, when people get me started on the saturn I just can't stop.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

Then came the news that episodes 2 and 3 of the shining force 3 trilogy wouldn't see the light of day in the West either.
I used to get mad about that back in the day, but in reflection, we're lucky we got Shining Force 3 Scenario 1 or Panzer Dragoon Saga at all.  Sega of Japan had already made the decision to can the Saturn and was calling the shots.  They were calling the shots from the console's launch and onwards, and the people who made the Genesis the success it was in America were more or less silenced throughout the Saturn's run.  Is it any wonder Tom Kalinske packed his bags and left in frustration?  Japan decided they knew the western market better than he did.

Those two games were something of a sendoff for the console to what few fans there were in America.  Bringing Scenarios 2 and 3 as well was flat out impossible.  Sega of America's new mission with Bernie Stolar at the helm was to prep the Dreamcast for an amazing US launch.  Considering the Dreamcast launch is still the best console launch ever to date, I'd say they did what they needed to do properly.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

Then came the news that episodes 2 and 3 of the shining force 3 trilogy wouldn't see the light of day in the West either.
I used to get mad about that back in the day, but in reflection, we're lucky we got Shining Force 3 Scenario 1 or Panzer Dragoon Saga at all.  Sega of Japan had already made the decision to can the Saturn and was calling the shots.  They were calling the shots from the console's launch and onwards, and the people who made the Genesis the success it was in America were more or less silenced throughout the Saturn's run.  Is it any wonder Tom Kalinske packed his bags and left in frustration?  Japan decided they knew the western market better than he did.

Those two games were something of a sendoff for the console to what few fans there were in America.  Bringing Scenarios 2 and 3 as well was flat out impossible.  Sega of America's new mission with Bernie Stolar at the helm was to prep the Dreamcast for an amazing US launch.  Considering the Dreamcast launch is still the best console launch ever to date, I'd say they did what they needed to do properly.

The last few titles were excellent, no doubt about it. I absolutely loved Deep Fear. Burning Rangers was also great even though it was too ambitious for the saturn hardware.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

All this Saturn talk is really making me nostalgic! I mostly agree with your Rant above CD.
I bought all the great games like Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, etc. etc.
Never regretted owning it, and never spent much time whining about what we didn't get. Heck, back then I wasn't even fully aware of what we didn't get.
Guardian Heroes was pretty fun, and I would totally recommend it to anyone looking for a distraction.
Burning Rangers was different, wasn't it? I don't recall playing very far into it. Must have been hard.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »

Guardian Heroes HD is out tomorrow on XBLA.  800 MS Points.

Considering how much it still goes for on eBay, that's a steal.  There's no question that I'm buying.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »

Correction.  Guardian Heroes HD is not coming out tomorrow.  Major Nelson is a toolbag.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »

You are a tortured soul, Parn.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »

Only on the internet.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »

Amen.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »

Will Treasure actually release both GH and RS back to back?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »

If so it's not until after the 14th, no sign of it in the list here. What the fuck Microsoft and/or Sega? It's done and out in other countries, get it on the US XBLA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: