Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334783 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Games are now officially recognized by the U.S. Government as art
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Games are now officially recognized by the U.S. Government as art  (Read 2887 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »

Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA):

The US National Endowment for the Arts now considers videogames eligible for artistic funding, legally recognizing them as an art form.

Read the article here.

Shit just got real.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Finally the "are games art?" debate is settled. Games are a combination of several forms of art, why shouldn't they be considered art as well?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »

Very good news indeed.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »

The only thing that changes is:

"Are games art?"

becomes

"What games are art?"

and the whole thing will get just as heated as before. It'll be interesting to see what kinds of video game related things get funded by the NEA though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »

Elsewhere Ebert is neck deep in a pile of meth.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »

Does this make us all hippies?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why this even matters.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »

I don't really care about it being accepted as art really. I'm just happy that it will be allowed the same protections as art.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:03:14 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »

Does this make us all hippies?

*puts hand on chin* That's really a good question, actually.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »

Took long enough. This should have happened back in the 8 bit generation.

Funny though, this really changes nothing. The people who disagree will still do so, and the rest of us, who have been aware of his for at least 20 years, will give the recognition a thumbs up.

It's not like our government hos money to burn on the arts right now anyway.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »

It matters because it gives independent video game makers and people interested in pursuing video game production a new avenue towards funding. It would also help in the preservation of video games down the road. At least in this country. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »

It means that instead of being a pathetic manchild that plays games for children you are now a consumer of art.

And the actual target demographic of video games (ie ten year olds, pathetic manchilds, your mom) can fuck right the fuck off and go play Pogs.

Unless those government hos declare Pogs art in which case shit will be so fucked, I tell you what.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »

It matters because it gives independent video game makers and people interested in pursuing video game production a new avenue towards funding.
I'm talking about how it doesn't really matter in the sense of why we care what a bunch of other people think of our hobby, as if we needed video games to be recognized as art to somehow be validated in society (protip: playing RPGs still makes you a nerd).  But since you mentioned it, the fact that federal grants can now be used towards the creation of video games does bother me.  The country is on the verge of bankruptcy and now we're adding the funding of video games to the list of things we can't afford.  Yeah, sounds great!

It would also help in the preservation of video games down the road. At least in this country.
There are ISOs and ROMs all over the place for any game you can think of, even unofficial releases.  What help is needed with preservation?
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »

It means that instead of being a pathetic manchild that plays games for children you are now a consumer of art.

And the actual target demographic of video games (ie ten year olds, pathetic manchilds, your mom) can fuck right the fuck off and go play Pogs.

Unless those government hos declare Pogs art in which case shit will be so fucked, I tell you what.

I remember Pogs. I used to play those (when I was like 10), do they still exist even?

As for video games or anything being declared art I realize it's a good thing (see the manchild argument), but it's still stupid. What is and isn't art is an opinion that varies from person to person. Some people consider smashing cars together in a jumbled mess art, I don't. So the government declaring anything art is ridiculous to me.

For the record though I do consider some games art (Persona 4, Okami, etc.), but some definetly aren't (COD, Madden, etc.)

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »

It matters because it gives independent video game makers and people interested in pursuing video game production a new avenue towards funding.
I'm talking about how it doesn't really matter in the sense of why we care what a bunch of other people think of our hobby, as if we needed video games to be recognized as art to somehow be validated in society (protip: playing RPGs still makes you a nerd).  But since you mentioned it, the fact that federal grants can now be used towards the creation of video games does bother me.  The country is on the verge of bankruptcy and now we're adding the funding of video games to the list of things we can't afford.  Yeah, sounds great!

It would also help in the preservation of video games down the road. At least in this country.
There are ISOs and ROMs all over the place for any game you can think of, even unofficial releases.  What help is needed with preservation?

The money thing doesn't work that way though. The NEA has a budget and now part of that budget can be used towards video games. It's not like if the NEA didn't recognize video games that budget would be diminished so the government spending on money on video games doesn't really change a thing.

As far a preservation, that's just short term, who knows what the state of games will be years from now but federal grants have played a huge part in keeping various pieces of art alive. Video games are special because of the digital format, but again, who knows the state of things to come in the future.

As for video games or anything being declared art I realize it's a good thing (see the manchild argument), but it's still stupid. What is and isn't art is an opinion that varies from person to person. Some people consider smashing cars together in a jumbled mess art, I don't. So the government declaring anything art is ridiculous to me.

That's not the point at all. As I said earlier it's all about money. Sure, there are critics and artists who will never look at video games as art, there are some that have from the beginning, and everything in between, but the whole point is that if the NEA views video games as art then things like scholarships and fellowships can be granted by the government to people who wish to create a game but lack the funds to do so. And the NEA doesn't act as some kind of government propaganda agency so they aren't going to send funds to people who produce pro-USA video games or anything like that. This really is a big deal and the focus shouldn't be on the legitimization of video games so much as the fact that now there is more possibility for funding. This is something that is especially good for the growth of the indie scene. Well hopefully. Again we'll have to wait and see how and where the NEA sends money to as far as video games are concerned.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:42:47 PM by Azrael » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: