Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:49:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338099 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So I'm in need of a job, really bad.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: So I'm in need of a job, really bad.  (Read 4446 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »

Have you tried looking for a job?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »

Hydroponic system installer
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »

I've been enjoying the replies thus far, but the actual responses, sadly, I've tried looking into. Most of em (all of em) require a driver's license that I don't have yet (I know, terrible of me). I may try and get the stupid license and be done with it instead, but til then anything that requires driving is a no go.

Who'd have thought that being a geek squad installer would require me needing a driver's license honestly?

TASTY!
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:51:11 AM »

I've been enjoying the replies thus far, but the actual responses, sadly, I've tried looking into. Most of em (all of em) require a driver's license that I don't have yet (I know, terrible of me). I may try and get the stupid license and be done with it instead, but til then anything that requires driving is a no go.

Who'd have thought that being a geek squad installer would require me needing a driver's license honestly?

Most geek squaders drive around in these little Volkswagen bugs or vans. It's kind of adorable.

I actually don't know your age. Have you considered going back to school and specializing in something, like web design or programming? If you're still in college or high school just ignore me!

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »

I'm 25, and school's not really an option. It's not that I haven't been looking for a new job, it's that I'm trying to get an idea of what to start looking for when my new I.D. comes in. Kind of have a plan of attack if you will. I really can't do much til I get my I.D. anyway (long story short, I let my old one expire fully, no good anymore), so asking for information is pretty much the extent of my searching for now.

TASTY!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »

Not knowing your situation you should never rule out going back to school.

I recently went back to school and it saved me from a life of minimum wage jobs and dead end careers.

I say do whatever you can to find a place that suits you. If you don't need more school to get a job that makes you happy then that's fine.

When I went back there were people younger than me and older than me in school. I know all this sounds corny but it's increasing difficult to get anywhere w/o some sort of degree. My cousin is awesome w/ computers and has a lot of experience to put on a resume for networking and IT stuff, but because he doesn't have a degree he's constantly passed up for people that do and relegated to temp help. (though he has been working for Playboy for a while :) )

My advice: go back to school, take out loans, do whatever. You don't want to be in your 60s with bad insurance, no retirement options, and doing manual labor.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »

You may also want to consider other qualifications, like getting First Aid certification. I'm not sure if it's as important in the States but a lot of employers over here consider it a plus if you've taken an official course. It makes scheduling shifts a lot easier (especially if there's a company policy about always having a trained first aider in the building at all times).

Good luck with your job search!

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »

Is that your current job or one you're looking at?  I used to work at Best Buy.  IIRC, the installers get paid decently considering it's basically a retail job and full time does give you benefits.

My advice: go back to school, take out loans, do whatever. You don't want to be in your 60s with bad insurance, no retirement options, and doing manual labor.

Problem is, if it doesn't work out or you don't get a job in the field you want, you're left with hefty loan payments to ol' Fannie.  A lot of people don't realize it, but it is literally impossible to get rid of student loans by any means (even death) except for paying them:  They will garnish your tax refunds and your regular wages until it's paid back in full with interest.  While more education is always great for people who really want it, it still needs to be smart education.  Community colleges are great for budget minded students.  Many community college credits can often be transferred to a 4 year college/university if you so desire and you will save yourself a lot of money.  Be cautious of online schools and other ones that seem too good to be true.  Many colleges/universities are not interested in taking their credits, so if you ever want to transfer, you'll most likely be starting over from scratch.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »

^ditto

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »

I've been trying to keep my information regarding personal stuff to a minimum, but screw it, I guess I could elaborate. I work at radioshack right now, a sales associate. Now if I actually worked off of commision, and a decent percentage at that rate, I'd complain less, but sadly, it's not the case. Minimum wage, lack of hours, and making money only off cellular phone sales and contract signings makes it STUPIDLY hard to call the job decent, but thenthere's the fact that I've become the resident handyman, fixing minor carpentry problems like loose hinges on doors, drilling holes through display tanks and such for cluttered cables from poor installation done by asshats, hell I've had to repair the toilet on more than one occasion. My terms of hiring doesn't call for any of this, but it seems to be a standard amongst the hired help. I've brought it up to my boss, but he says it's out of his hands, and complaining to the hire ups gets me nowhere, so basically, I keep complaining and hope for a change. Of course, the other problem comes in that my hours just suck now, having gotten 2 days for the week at 4 hours a day. 7 day week, I worked 8 hours for the week. Sad huh?

I'm just about to go for my security license and be done with it. My buddy is getting steady work and shittons of overtime (last 3 weeks he's put in 70 hours each week, 30 OT), and he basically sits on his ass for hours on end. I figure I'll toy with that, maybe go for my firearms license, and go for an armed guard type deal. Just trying to play with ideas before I do anything.

TASTY!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »

I don't know where you live, but a lot of positions will put through a security course (for a small fee) to make it so you are qualified. When I first moved to NYC and was looking for work, I had multiple offers for this kind of gig. I think the programs were like $100.

Also, college at your age is probably ideal. Your finances aren't linked to your parents, which is crucial when you fill out a FAFSA. You'll automatically qualify for subsidized Stafford loans, which the government will pay the interest on while you're in school, and probably even the Perkins loan, which is a fixed, low interest loan.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:11:34 AM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »

Also, college at your age is probably ideal. Your finances aren't linked to your parents, which is crucial when you fill out a FAFSA. You'll automatically qualify for subsidized Stafford loans, which the government will pay the interest on while you're in school, and probably even the Perkins loan, which is a fixed, low interest loan.

^THIS

If you dont have much in the way of higher education, probably not a bad idea to weigh that as an option. It sounds lame because AMG I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR LIKE 13 YEARS ALREADY....but really, it's a surefire way to get the education AND possibly get assistance in placement in the job you DO want.

There's always working in a bar. I made really good money in one before my current job.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »

So some headway I guess, I've decided to go for the security license to do some lightweight decent pay work, and probably look into school again. I'm leaning towards the school for maybe an electrician field. I've got a basic understanding of electornics already., so I could probably get behind it pretty easily..

TASTY!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »

If you're looking to go into trade work, there's lots of schools that tend to be 10 months or so.  I know that when I lived in Vegas, there were schools that even offered apprenticeship placement after classes were over.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »

Trades are great but there are two things to consider.

1) Some of them have either tons of applicants or huge wait lists. There's a few by my house (sprinkler fitters union, electrical union, and one more i can't remember) and they put out applicant tests every so often and hire from lists. Like most things in life (esp. w/ unions) the people w/ connections get picked first.

2) Once you get in, pass all the classes, do your apprenticeship work might be hard to come by from the start. The people w/ more seniority will get all the first picks for jobs and shit. but once you work your way up you'll be making bank for easy work.

That's my basic understanding from people that have done the dance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: