Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Spiral Knights (SEGA, Three Rings)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spiral Knights (SEGA, Three Rings)  (Read 999 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

http://www.spiralknights.com/

4 player co-op MMO.  Really fun.  Not sure if there is anything to read into about SEGA publishing a game made by a company called "Three Rings", but the game is polished.

There aren't character levels, rather your gear levels up, like Monster Hunter.  Otherwise, the gameplay is like a twin stick zelda shooter with 4 players.

I was expecting Moon Diver and/or Dungeon Hunter to be my games this week, but this doesn't cost $15!  It is free to play!  (with option to buy!)

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »

I gave it a go, only played a little bit (left the training area and made it to the first hub town). I'm not sure weather it picks up later on, but so far its rather boring.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »

I wasn't sure I'd get into it when I first played, but I definitely respected the effort.  Now that I am aware of the various systems in place, I love it.

One example: people sell their minerals into a gate to affect the level's theme (if it is mechanically themed, graveyard themed, etc affects the enemies you encounter, and by extension loot)

Materials are probably the main focus, because you need to have a 2-star sword to access the 2nd tier of the clockworks, and onward.  You need materials to craft the weapon recipes you acquire.

I dunno how to sell you on the idea, but I think the majority opinion is very positive.  I can't ever say for sure, because 500 people that I encounter are still just a fraction of the whole.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:30:20 PM by Fei » Logged

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »

Just seems rather repetitive and boring so far. Might be OK in small doses though.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »

From Penny Arcade:

"The game needs the optimized modes of interaction that people expect these days, especially when it comes to a game which is thoroughly focused on crafting, weapons, and armor. You need to be able to link things to the channel, see what they look like before you buy or craft, look at what people are wearing, and you need an Auction House to allow for asynchronous transfers of property. Of course I say that, it's true, and I hope it does well enough to warrant these investments. But I'm still playing it every night, because (unlike most genre entries) its basic gameplay is fun. It's an action game you play with other people against the environment. It has all the hooks a persistent game needs, but the fundamentals are there, which you'd think would be more common than it is. Somewhere between Phantasy Star Online and Secret of Mana is a weird game made by people who live in a submarine which is (for some reason!) one of the most interesting games this year."

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: