Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334760 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The girlfriend won't let me play video games, WTF!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: The girlfriend won't let me play video games, WTF!?  (Read 10140 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »

It's been 4 months, man.  Get out while you can.  Good lord, get out.

You put up with her kids.  Nothing in the world is harder than that.  Get... out.

My girlfriend has two kids, but she is cool about everything I do.  The idea of buying them cars doesn't make me sick.  Does the idea of buying cars for someone elses kids, while you can't even buy a fucking videogame for yourself make you feel like a man?

Get out.  Now.

I know that it's been just a few months and maybe I jumped into this relationship too quick.  We technically knew each other since 2008 but only as friends.  I told her how I felt about my hobby for playing video games.  Hell, video games may have saved my life because I could have been out there selling drugs or worse.  

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »

games before bros/hoes i would question if you really love her or if that is your penis talking for you.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:05 AM »

games before bros/hoes i would question if you really love her or if that is your penis talking for you.

We have been together sexually alot but I also care for her and my feelings for her are more than just sex.  I know the difference between love and lust.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »

As others have said, it looks like the relationship is slanted...she's asking you to give up one of your hobbies.  I could understand if you were an addict and that's all you did, but I don't see that as the case.  Maybe she feels a little left out from your hobby.  Have you ever tried playing a game with her?  My boyfriend and I do that a lot (we're both gamers), but sometimes it feels so separate when we're both in opposite rooms gaming away, so we try to do co-op games here and there, and we have a blast at that. I'm thinking if you included her in your hobby, you two are spending time together while doing something you enjoy, and you guys can always compromise on doing one of her hobbies with her.  It looks like you're doing all the giving, and all she is doing is taking.  

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »

As others have said, it looks like the relationship is slanted...she's asking you to give up one of your hobbies.  I could understand if you were an addict and that's all you did, but I don't see that as the case.  Maybe she feels a little left out from your hobby.  Have you ever tried playing a game with her?  My boyfriend and I do that a lot (we're both gamers), but sometimes it feels so separate when we're both in opposite rooms gaming away, so we try to do co-op games here and there, and we have a blast at that. I'm thinking if you included her in your hobby, you two are spending time together while doing something you enjoy, and you guys can always compromise on doing one of her hobbies with her.  It looks like you're doing all the giving, and all she is doing is taking.  

We do play video games, she only likes side scrolling games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong Country and she does like Super Mario Kart.  She has even watched me play Alan Wake and she loves watching me play scary games.  I'm just assuming that she wants me to be 100% devoted to her children when I marry her.  I have no problems spending tons of time with both her children and her.  I can see me driving downtown to some abandoned building and playing PSP or DS to get my fix,lol!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 01:07:31 AM »

I'm just assuming that she wants me to be 100% devoted to her children when I marry her.  I have no problems spending tons of time with both her children and her.  I can see me driving downtown to some abandoned building and playing PSP or DS to get my fix,lol!

Yeah but, you shouldn't have to do anything like that. You can be devoted to her kids and still keep up your hobby, maybe she doesn't seem to get that.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »

I know the difference between love and lust.

A lot of people say this, they truly don't. Love is something that's very hard to understand. It's something that takes a lot of time heartache, and personal experience to fully comprehend. I've told two people I loved them, but i never meant it. Didn't know at the time, but one of them was just because I thought she was my only chance at love. The other one was cause I wanted someone to talk dirty to me over the net. Both times I was never truly in love I just wanted to be loved and/or just was horny.

Ask yourself this are you truly in love, or do you simply want to be in love? There is a major difference, and most "love" in this world is either based entirely on lust or is a construct of the subconscious mind telling us that we are cause the prospect of being in love something we all desire.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 01:19:03 AM »

I know the difference between love and lust.

A lot of people say this, they truly don't.

I was going to say this myself.  It's not the difference between love and lust that matters, its the difference between sex and damn near anything else. 

You are getting laid, and you are giving everything the benefit of the doubt because of it.  I don't even blame you... but it is happening.  It happens to everyone who likes sex.

You don't really sound unhappy anymore, and she suddenly sounds tolerant of your hobby, so I don't know what to think.  I'd advise against marriage, at least.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:14 AM »

I have to agree with others who have said it doesn't seem like the right relationship for you to be in. It's natural to have differences and to argue about things, but she sounds a bit over the top and I think you're just going to be unhappy.

Having said that, don't make any decisions based on what us random internet people tell you. :P Especially considering we don't even know her.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »

ask her to go to relationship therapy or something.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 02:05:08 AM »

Jeez, you guys have a lot more issues to work out than just video games.  Personally I would never put up with that kind of crap.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »

She has very strong beliefs on things that from her perception, no compromise

So your opinion doesn't count? You might want to think about how your relationship works. I'm married, my wife doesn't like videogames but that never becomes a problem because she is reasonable enough to give me the space I need for my hoby and I'm reasonable enough to know how much time I can spend on it before it becomes annoying for her. If I don't have anything in particular to do and she's at the hairdresser or doing something else why can't I play some games during that "downtime". Both of you have to adapt, not just you, that is the most basic thing in a relationship.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »

Here's my philosophy:

No compromise, no relationship.

It sounds like you're making sacrifices for her sake but she refuses to extend the same courtesy. If she doesn't think you're worth making compromises, she isn't worth your time. Period.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 06:02:02 AM »

Don't get married, it'll probably enhance those problems and it would be hard to undo.
If she loves something else like you love games, compromise and talk about solving those trust and control issues.
Try taking something she loves away and maybe she'll notice that she did it to you, like a wake up call.
And if that fails, leave immediately.
Note that I'm anti-social and have only really had friends online, so that was just from observation of people around me and online.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:50 AM »

I missed the part where you said you've been dating four months and are talking about marriage.

Jesus Christ, get out now, while you can. As other people have said, if she won't compromise, and you become miserable when you're married, it will be that much harder to get out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: